Mozilla Firefox Add-ons with JAWS?

Brad Martin

Does anybody know how to actually use Add-ons in Firefox? Sure, I can install the add-ons, and I can go to the Add-on manager to enable, disable, or remove them. But how do you actually get to them without a mouse and a set of functioning eyes? I've Googled and Googled, and all I find is that I'm supposed to use something called an Add-on Bar. Wish I could find one. I've tabbed until my tab key almost went on strike from abuse, and I don't see anything like that. Going to the View, Toolbars, option doesn't allow me to choose Add-on bar. I found a shortcut key, Control /, that's supposed to turn the Add-on bar on or off, but I don't know if mine's on or off, because I can't find it before or after I press Control /

Any bright ideas? I installed an Add-on and it's functioning, but I'm supposed to be able to configure its options, and well, yeah, no, not so much.

Thanks,
Brad
--
Brad Martin

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Brad. I use Firefox with JAWS13. I only have one AddOn which has options. This is Navigational Sounds. Here is what I do to reach the options for Navigational Sounds within Firefox.

1. Start Firefox.
2. Press the ALT key and Right Arrow over to Tools.
3. Down Arrow to AddOns, and press Enter.
4. Turn off the Virtual Cursor by pressing Jawskey plus the letter Z.
5. Tab once to reach a listbox containing the following menu items:
A. Get AddOns
B. Extensions
c. Appearance
d. PlugIns
e. Services
6. The AddOn for which you want to configure the options will probably be found in either:
B. Extensions
or
e. Services
7. Arrow up or down through the various AddOns found in these lists.
8. Once you find The right AddOn in the list, Make sure the Virtual Cursor is still off.
9. Arrow up and down a couple of times to make sure the AddOn is selected.
10. Press Enter on the appropriate AddOn.
11. You will know if the press of the Enter key takes effect or not, because when it does, JAWS will say, "Read Only".
12. Tab several times, and you may see links to the person who created the AddOn.
13. Finally you may see an Options Button. Use Space Bar to press this button.
14. As you use the Tab key, there will be a list of options to configure.
15. Once you have configured the AddOn's options (usually with check boxes, but also can be with Combo Boxes), Press CONTROL plus W to close the AddOns Manager Window.
16. The AddOn should now be properly configured.
Bill White billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 12102 (20150816) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 12102 (20150816) __________

http://www.eset.com

Brad Martin

Thanks, Bill. I did that (and just did it again following your instructions), and it does let me choose whether to autoupdate the add-on or not, and it gives me buttons to disable or remove the add-on. But there's a whole interface I'm supposed to be able to manipulate that I can't get to. I think if I can get someone sighted to click on the add-on icon on the toolbar, I can move it to the menu bar, and then I might be able to access it. There's apparently a little stopsign looking icon that sighted people can get to, so when somebody's here I'll try that. You apparently can't do it with JAWS because the toolbar is a row of icons with no labels that I never knew existed (virtual cursor can't even find it).

Thanks anyway. This was fun.

Brad

----- Original Message ----- From: "Brad Martin via Jfw" <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>