From: Jfw [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com] On Behalf Of Brent Harding
via Jfw
Sent: Friday, August 14, 2015 10:51 AM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list. <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Cc: Brent Harding <brent@hostany.net>
Subject: dual source headsets, where to get?

I am wondering how you go about getting a dual source headset to be able to
hear JFW on one side and have a phone call on the other side. Even better,
it would be nice if the microphone sent its output back to the phone. I
tried getting quotes on a sight called Thumbtack, and I spoke with a guy who
answered who does audio engineering on the side. He thinks he could make a
cable where I could plug any headset mic in to do this, as long as it had
the combination jack that combines the headset and mic on it. If one was
going to use a phone that has the same kind of jack as the iPhone, which
uses the 4-band, 3.5mm connector, does such a product exist? The closes
thing I found years ago was a discontinued Plantronics headset, but it only
had the RJ headset plug for the phone side, which may or may not be able to
be adapted. Also, I'd like something less expensive than that. I spoke with
Plantronics the other day, and it appeared that what they may have had has
been discontinued so long ago that it isn't in their system any more. The
guy told me that the only dual source headsets like that have to be manually
switched between phone call and other source, which doesn't work if you
switch to read something and the person on the other end says something you
missed. What are people doing to achieve this these days?

Mario

what I do when the need arises is to use a single earpiece headset (headphone plus a built in mic) connected to the phone and one earbud plugged into the computer. now I'd be interested in the adaptor the engineer comes up with, as I'd like to have a more elegant headpiece in attempt to eliminate all the wires.

On 8/14/2015 11:50 AM, Brent Harding via Jfw wrote:
[...]

Brent Harding

I am surprised Plantronics never mentioned that one. Maybe there isn't a way to have a 3.5mm 4-ring plug for the phone end. I don't care at all about the play and fastforward buttons. I wonder why one needs an amplifier at all unless you were hearing impaired.

You can visit headsets.com. They have a model made by Plantronics that does
exactly what you're talking about here. I've included a link to the product
page below.
https://www.headsets.com/headset/plantronics-smh1783-11-headset-and-amplifie
r-for-the-visually-impaired/

[...]

Michael Mote

The Amplifier is for the phone itself. The Amp plugs into where the handset
would be, and you run the headset that way. I've used it before, and they
work Ok.

[...]

Oh, OK. I wonder if they make a way to have it hook into the 4 band 3.5mm jacks on the phone side? I think I get how this is supposed to work where some phones had the removable cord on the handset part, and you plug a cable from the amp part into this instead, and the original phone cable in to the other side, sort of like answering machines did.

[...]

He was planning on some kind of cable with the iPhone headset style 3.5mm connection on one side, a regular 3.5mm connector like computers use on the other, and the other end of the cable would plug in to any iPhone compatible headset mic. It's looking about half the price of the nearest solution I found elsewhere, which was the Plantronics SMH-1783-11, which is more for corded phones to go between the handset and phone. I don't think the phone handset connector can be adapted for iPhones though.

[...]

Yes, you may want to contact headsets.com customer support and ask them
about that. They may be able to steer you in the right direction.

[...]

I just spoke with them. The lady I got didn't think at first that this one did two sources at all, but I had her look at the features part. She said that they have no 3.5mm connection adapter for the phone side, but she said she would email their shipping people to see if they can get such a thing. So much for Plantronics telling me that no such product existed.

[...]

Ward Dudley

Surely there is a converter somewhere to convert it to the 3.5mm.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mario via Jfw" <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
[...]

.

Brent Harding

It would seem so, whatever plug the removable cord desk phones use in to the 4 pin 3.5mm. I called Headsets.com, and the woman that answered said she would contact their shipping people to see if it exists. It is seeming to be going to be a hard solution to a simple problem. She said that the phone cord to 3.5 adapter can't be done because you have the power and stuff that is typically in a desk handset.

[...]

Not good, when the CSR doesn't know anything about the product you're asking
about. I suspect they don't sell too many of these headsets.

[...]

I think I spoke with the same person I got on the line the other day, and she said this thing sounds like something very new to the market she didn't know they had before. As for getting a custom cable or set modified, one guy seemed confident he might be able to do it, while the other kept me on the phone talking about random computer stuff they did in the 80's and other stuff I got too tired late to understand his muffled voice any more. He claimed that the proper headsets, such as earpods, have an analog to digital converter that would need to be accounted for, but I doubt other 4-pin headsets even bother with something like this. I'm definitely not going with the guy who didn't know how the fourth pin works, thinking it would mix with the speaker part of the ear pieces. Circuit boards in a box are probably a too complex way to fix this simple issue.

[...]

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

It would be so great to have something like that. I remember back in the
90's, when I had three scissor head sets taped together, wore all of them -
one for Window Eyes, and the others for two machines from which I received
dictation for medical records.

Best from,

Carolyn

[...]

Wow! The deal with the little cheap single ear earpieces is that the volume level on them is pretty quiet. It might be that the nearest talking ATM has low output when you turn it to high, but the 3 things together sounds like it would be uncomfortable.

[...]

Dave...

Plantronics does this. I have a set. One side specific for the computer
voice, the other has both the earpiece and the boom mike for telephone work.

Dave Carlson
Oregonian, woodworker, Engineer, Musician, and pioneer

[...]

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Serves as a control module too.

Ted

[...]

scrubbed...

Kimber Gardner

This was an interesting discussion. I have a solution that's not very
elegant but it works.

I have a wired earphone that plugs into my computer and I place the
earbud in one ear. Then I have a Bluetooth headset connected too the
iPhone with the earbud in my other ear. I use it for listening to
music while I work, but it also works for phone calls.

As I said, not elegant but it works.

Kim

On 8/14/15, Brent Harding via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:
[...]
Kimberly

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Used one of those, and it worked pretty well. Ai scrapped it because it was really uncomfortable on one side, and your ear wound up looking as if you'd gone 12 rounds.

Ted

[...]

I found a guy on Thumbtack that claims to be able to whip up a cable that would let me use any headset mic with those combination jacks Apple and other phones like to use now. I'm surprised even Plantronics didn't know there was such a thing, claiming the stuff they knew of was like an a/b switch. I remember one time when I did some transcription during school where I tried two headphones, and one busted right in half. What I tried to do was using two pairs of earphones, with the one behind's left earpiece pushed out of the way to get the front one to sit there.