From: Jfw [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com] On Behalf Of Sandra Streeter via Jfw
Sent: August-13-15 2:54 PM
To: jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
Cc: Sandra Streeter <sandrastreeter381@gmail.com>
Subject: disabling forms mode

Hello all:

I am a JAWS 16 user who has used JAWS for years. I’ve always found myself frustrated to have to press Enter anytime I want to start or stop entries in Forms Mode; sighted people can just type their info in, without the extra steps. Is there a way I could disable Forms Mode so that I could just type in the needed info? I am a fast typist and find that I go faster than the field can appear or disappear! It would be nice if, upon reaching a form field, JAWS could just say, “to field,” then you immediately type a person’s name, for instance... I’ve always been mystified about the purpose of Forms
Mode: what issues was it designed to address? Any responses are appreciated.

Sandra
Sandra
“To love another person is to se the face of God.”
(Les Miserables--the musical)

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

You have a good idea, that I think would be good to be shared with Freedom Scientific. I don't mean to insinuate that they haven't given the problem thought, but your idea sounds like the ideal one.

Best from,

Carolyn

[...]

That's true about the pops - about since 13, but, then sometimes, you DO have to hit Enter to get into Forms Mode. That is what is frustrating me is those times, when I thought I could type, but I could not.

Best from,

Carolyn

When in forms mode does Jaws not go "Pop", when you arrow into an edit field, and a deeper sounding pop when you arrow out of it? And once you are in an edit field pressing tab moves you from one edit field to the next.
Cheers Kevin.

I am a JAWS 16 user who has used JAWS for years. I’ve always found myself frustrated to have to press Enter anytime I want to start or stop entries in Forms Mode; sighted people can just type their info in, without the extra steps. Is there a way I could disable Forms Mode so that I could just type in the needed info? I am a fast typist and find that I go faster than the field can appear or disappear! It would be nice if, upon reaching a form field, JAWS could just say, “to field,” then you immediately type a person’s name, for instance... I’ve always been mystified about the purpose of Forms
Mode: what issues was it designed to address? Any responses are appreciated.

Sandra
Sandra
“To love another person is to se the face of God.”
(Les Miserables--the musical)

Michal Nowicki <mnowicki4@...>

Hello Sandra,

Forms Mode is an absolutely necessary JAWS feature because without it, there would be no way to distinguish between typing on a web page and using navigation quick keys. For instance, if there were no forms mode, JAWS wouldn't know how to respond when you press the letter "h" because it wouldn't know whether you want to type an "h" or if you wish to move to the next heading on the page. This obviously is not an issue for sighted people because they navigate the web visually. I hope this clarifies why Forms Mode is an essential component of JAWS and other screen readers.

Michal

[...]

That does clarify - will share that one with my husband.

Best from,

Carolyn

[...]

De Miguel Carballo, María Ángeles

Hi
You can select automatically Forms Mode in the Jaws Settings Center , there is an option named Forms Mode.
This is the explanation that FS gives.
Hope that helps

Use radio buttons in this group to automatically or manually enter Forms Mode. Select Auto to automatically enter Forms Mode when you press TAB, SHIFT+TAB, or the ARROW Keys to move to a control. Auto Forms Mode means that you can freely type in the edit field without having to first press ENTER. When you exit the control, Forms Mode turns off. This functionality can be very useful for new and sighted JAWS users. Auto Forms Mode is on by default. Select Manual to manually control Forms Mode operation. Manual Forms Mode is used by default when using Navigation Quick Keys to jump to a form control, such as F or E for the next form field or edit box. This means that when you move into an edit field or combo box control, you must press ENTER first to type text or select a value. To manually exit Forms Mode, press NUM PAD PLUS or ESC. Manually controlling Forms Mode may be better suited for experienced users. Note: When Forms Mode is on, Say Line or Say All reads all text on the current line. This includes labels and descriptions.

[...]

**Este mensaje y cualquier fichero anexo se dirigen exclusivamente a su destinatario y pueden contener información privilegiada o CONFIDENCIAL. Si no es usted el destinatario indicado, queda notificado de que la utilización, divulgación y/o copia sin autorización está prohibida en virtud de la legislación vigente. Si ha recibido este mensaje por error, le rogamos que nos lo comunique inmediatamente por esta misma vía y proceda a su destrucción.**

***Antes de imprimir este mensaje o sus anexos, asegúrese de que es necesario. El medio ambiente está en nuestra mano.***

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

That's more or less what the recent forms mode changes are meant to do. With the proper settings, you should be able to tab around, going in and out as needed. I enter data on Internet apps every day, and it's something that works for me with minimal effort most of the time. You can even tune your settings for individual sights. JAWS help, or a review of what's new in recent releases, covers this well.

Ted