How To Stop Windows 10 from Sharing Your Bandwidth With Others Without Your Permission

Mark <facebookmark@...>

Hello My Fellow Windows 10 Users,

You know, I was becoming less and less enthusiastic about Windows 10 as it
does so many things, in terms of sharing our personal information, and now,
it seems, even our band-width without our expressed permission, until I
discovered how to control it's somewhat hidden options.

Please read the following, carefully, to discover how to disable this, in my
opinion, very unwelcomed feature.

Mark

How to Disable Windows 10 Update Delivery Optimization (WUDO)

By default, Windows 10 is using your bandwidth by way of a new 'feature'
called Windows Update Delivery Optimization (WUDO). In a nutshell, Windows
10 is uploading files in the background to other Windows 10 users. This
brief guide will explain how to disable the Windows Update Delivery
Optimization service.

1.
Click the Windows 10 "Start Button" and select Settings

2.
Select Update & security from the Settings menu.

3.
Click Advanced options

4.
Click Choose how updates are delivered

5.
Finally, toggle Updates from more than one place to Off

6.
All done!

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

Mark, this information is brailled and in my notebook, so that I can follow
your instructions to the T. Thanks.

Best from,

Carolyn

[...]

Brad Martin

Ouch. This is going to burn a lot of people who don't realize (1) they have a metered or capped connection and (2) other people are getting files from it. I have Comcast, and I have a 300 GB limit. I've never even gotten to 40 GB, so I wouldn't think anything of it until all these people start uploading files from me without my knowledge? Sure you can turn it off or mark your connection as metered, but most people aren't going to know that! Here's a more detailed explanation of what Mark's talking about. I don't like all this "opted in" stuff. You should have to opt in if you want it, not opt out if you don't. But that would require Microsoft to take your best interest into account.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-update-delivery-optimization-faq

Brad

On 8/11/2015 4:18 PM, Mark via Jfw wrote:
[...]

You are quite Welcome, Carolyn.

If I learn of any further "hidden" privacy settings, I'll be sure to pass
them along.

Mark

[...]

Kimsan <kimsansong@...>

Wow!
You wrote all of that in braille?
I'm not one to brag, but I'm slow at braille writing.
,

[...]

Well, I've been at it for a little over 70 years, so Braille I can do. It is
easier for me to have computer instructions in Braille, so that I can go
through a process step by step LOL.

Best from,

Carolyn

[...]

Russell Solowoniuk

Hi Mark,

Wow! I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but MS nevver ceases to amaze me with
some of the choices they make! Why would this, to use the term loosely,
feature, be turned on by default? If you hadn't brought it up here, I would
have unwittingly been sharing my bandwidth with who knows who! Amazing!
Another confirmation that switching to the Mac as my main home computer 6
years agowas the right choice!

Just as an aside to this... when I followed your instructions to turn off
this feature, Jaws only read the On/Off switch button as "checked" so it was
really unclear as to what I was checking or unchecking. I unloaded Jaws and
loaded System Access. System Access announced "Switch button On" and "Switch
button Off", which helped me to know for sure that I was actually turning
this feature off.

Thanks Mark for bringing this to our attention! You saved me much bandwidth,
I'm sure! :)

Russell

[...]

Michal Nowicki <mnowicki4@...>

Russell and All,

I encountered the same accessibility barrier when trying to disable this
feature. I assumed that "checked" means "on, while no status indication
signifies "off." Can anyone confirm if this is in fact correct? I don't
have System Access to verify myself. I would greatly appreciate it. Thank
you in advance for your help.

Best Wishes,

Michal

[...]

Hi Michal,

You are correct… checked means on, and no status indication means off.

HTH

Russell

On Aug 13, 2015, at 10:31 AM, Michal Nowicki via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:

[...]

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Okay, I know this is a JAWS list, but, over time, I've seen references to System Access. I've flirted with free programs before, and always found them lacking. Could I find out more by entering System Access as a search term?

Ted

[...]

Thanks for clarifying.

[...]

Hi Ted,

You can actually try System Access for free by going to the following site.
Note that System Access will come up speaking when you first open the page
and, I think Jaws will be unloaded. I'm not sure exactly how things work if
you don't have a licensed copy of SA, because I think you are presented with
a login screen. Try it and see how it goes...

http://www.satogo.com

HTH

Russell