Advice on Lenovo Laptop with JAWS

Richard B. McDonald

Hi!

I am getting a Lenovo laptop (L440). Could you please reply with any hints,
tips, tricks or precautions about using it with JAWS?

Many thanks,

Richard

Feliciano G

May want to disable media keys if disabled.
Regards,Feliciano For tech tips and updates, LIKE www.facebook.com/theblindman12v Follow www.twitter.com/theblindman12v

On Aug 10, 2015, at 6:24 AM, Richard B. McDonald via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:

Hi!

I am getting a Lenovo laptop (L440). Could you please reply with any hints,
tips, tricks or precautions about using it with JAWS?

Many thanks,

Richard

Robert Logue

You may need to change the way the function keys work. By default they are used as media keys and you have to press and hold fn key to get a standard function key. However, you can change this setting in the bios or what ever it is called on newer computers.

Bob

On 8/10/2015 7:24 AM, Richard B. McDonald via Jfw wrote:
Hi!

I am getting a Lenovo laptop (L440). Could you please reply with any hints,
tips, tricks or precautions about using it with JAWS?

Many thanks,

Richard

Russell Solowoniuk

Hi Richard,

When I bought my Lenovo Yoga Pro 2 last November I had the tech guys at the place I bought it, Future Shop, go into the BIOS and change the function key settings so that they revert to standard function key operation. I can’t quite recall exactly what this setting in the BIOS is called. Someone else already mentioned this, but I thought I’d suggest getting someone in the store where you purchase your laptop to do this for you.

Cheers,

Russell

On Aug 10, 2015, at 7:24 AM, Richard B. McDonald via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:

Hi!

I am getting a Lenovo laptop (L440). Could you please reply with any hints,
tips, tricks or precautions about using it with JAWS?

Many thanks,

Richard

Merv Keck <blind5sparrow@...>

Hi,
This is probably not the most popular choice, however, since it works for me very well I will present it as a viable alternative, smile! I recently purchased a 16 GB Lenovo Z70 from amazon and it is a very nice machine. The only issue I had with it was the integrated sound used a smart audio driver that was almost like the audio ducking on an iPhone. When Jaws was talking during a system sound event my Jaws would reduce speech volume by at least half and sometimes stay down there for a minute or more. It was Dolby 5.1 sound just had it quirks. However, my correction for that is another subject.
To address your subject, this is a 17.3 inch display and the surface of the laptop is rather large. In fact the touch screen in front of the full keyboard is the largest and widest I have ever seen on a laptop. And I had one of those big dell 20 inch all in one models that you needed two hands to pick up back in the days of Vista.
So in order to keep from constantly bumping this massive touch screen I just started using an external keyboard which I preferred anyway. Since this keyboard does not have a function key it does not force me to use the F keys as media keys so I did not need to mess around in the bios. As an added bonus if I do want to use them as media keys like today when I wanted to mute Jaws in a hurry during a phone call I reached over and muted it on the laptop and then when I got off the phone I reached over and unmuted it on the laptop. So I basically have the best of both worlds this way.

When I bought my Lenovo Yoga Pro 2 last November I had the tech guys at the place I bought it, Future Shop, go into the BIOS and change the function key settings so that they revert to standard function key operation. I can’t quite recall exactly what this setting in the BIOS is called. Someone else already mentioned this, but I thought I’d suggest getting someone in the store where you purchase your laptop to do this for you.

Cheers,

Russell
On Aug 10, 2015, at 7:24 AM, Richard B. McDonald via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:

Hi!

I am getting a Lenovo laptop (L440). Could you please reply with any
hints, tips, tricks or precautions about using it with JAWS?

Many thanks,

Richard

scrubbed...

Michal Nowicki <mnowicki4@...>

On HP laptops, it is called Action Keys Mode. I don't know about Lenovo, though.

When I bought my Lenovo Yoga Pro 2 last November I had the tech guys at the place I bought it, Future Shop, go into the BIOS and change the function key settings so that they revert to standard function key operation. I can’t quite recall exactly what this setting in the BIOS is called. Someone else already mentioned this, but I thought I’d suggest getting someone in the store where you purchase your laptop to do this for you.

Cheers,

Russell
On Aug 10, 2015, at 7:24 AM, Richard B. McDonald via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:

Hi!

I am getting a Lenovo laptop (L440). Could you please reply with any
hints, tips, tricks or precautions about using it with JAWS?

Many thanks,

Richard

scrubbed...

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

Lenovo must love those lap top keyboards; one came with this nice big computer, and it now hides behind my dresser, replaced by an ordinary keyboard.