submitting tickets to Zendesk sites

Brent Harding

I need to submit a ticket to a site that uses Zendesk. However, whether I use JFW with Chrome or Firefox, or even try to do it on my phone with iOS, I can't get past the drop down boxes to select the category. They don't identify as any link or combo box for me to use them, and turning virtual cursor off lands me on the wrong category most of the time. Apple and Uber are just two examples of sites that use this. How can I get my ticket submitted?

Brad Martin

I haven't had to use Zendesk in a couple of years. When I used to use it for work, I don't remember having any problems; but they could've redone their interface since then. I may have access to a Zendesk product at work. (Our vendor uses Zendesk, but we usually just interact with it by Email, so I haven't tried the other way.) If you don't get a satisfactory answer by tomorrow, shoot me an Email to my work address
bmartin@uwswa.org
and I'll see if I can replicate the problem.

Brad Martin

On 8/9/2015 3:39 PM, Brent Harding via Jfw wrote:
I need to submit a ticket to a site that uses Zendesk. However, whether I use JFW with Chrome or Firefox, or even try to do it on my phone with iOS, I can't get past the drop down boxes to select the category. They don't identify as any link or combo box for me to use them, and turning virtual cursor off lands me on the wrong category most of the time. Apple and Uber are just two examples of sites that use this. How can I get my ticket submitted?

Brad Martin

Robin Frost <robinni71@...>

Hi,
Find a sighted person. Sadly I'm not being flippant or cute. I've found no way around it. this is a known issue to them it's been reported to them by many as well as to the companies or software providers that make use of their help desk services to no avail thus far.
Feel free to join the chorus of frustrated users.
Sorry there isn't better news to report on that front.
Robin

I need to submit a ticket to a site that uses Zendesk. However, whether I use JFW with Chrome or Firefox, or even try to do it on my phone with iOS, I can't get past the drop down boxes to select the category. They don't identify as any link or combo box for me to use them, and turning virtual cursor off lands me on the wrong category most of the time. Apple and Uber are just two examples of sites that use this. How can I get my ticket submitted?

Brad Martin

Brent,

I'm afraid I'm not going to be any help to you. After I sent my previous message, it occurred to me (derf dederf derf) that I could access what I needed at home as easily as at work. We do use a vendor that uses Zendesk, but there are no dropdowns on their portal. There's an edit field for Subject, and edit field for Description, and an edit field for the name of the organization for which we work. Then there's a browse button in case we need to attach any files to the request, and then a submit button. So apparently the vendor doesn't use any categories. The last time I used Zendesk with a different vendor, we did have categories to select, but it wasn't a problem in 2011-2012. But I no longer have access to that instance of Zendesk. I suspect you're suffering from a move to a mobile friendly platform for Zendesk, which often breaks accessibility.

Sorry not to be of more help.

Brad

On 8/9/2015 3:39 PM, Brent Harding via Jfw wrote:
I need to submit a ticket to a site that uses Zendesk. However, whether I use JFW with Chrome or Firefox, or even try to do it on my phone with iOS, I can't get past the drop down boxes to select the category. They don't identify as any link or combo box for me to use them, and turning virtual cursor off lands me on the wrong category most of the time. Apple and Uber are just two examples of sites that use this. How can I get my ticket submitted?

Brad Martin

Brent Harding

Uber and Apple are two instances with categories. It isn't even accessible on iOS either, but I bet if I didn't have broken arrow keys that are remapped to unused keys in Windows, Safari probably works perfectly with it on OSX. I could be wrong about that though.

[...]

I have no idea if we're talking about the same thing or not. I just went to support.apple.com to see if I could find what your issue might be. Keep in mind I have no Apple products, so I couldn't go too far. I am using Firefox 39.0.3 and JAWS 15. But I said I wanted to contact support, and I then had to choose Get Started. There were a list of buttons to choose from. I chose Mac, and that gave me subcategories. I chose Desktop. I selected each by pressing the Spacebar on them. Then it gave me a whole new screen. I said my question was about Mail, so I pressed spacebar on Mail. Then another screen opened, and I really didn't know what I was trying to do since I don't have a question, so I closed the window. Is that of any help? Try spacebar to select an option if that's your problem. Sorry not to be more helpful.

Brad

----- Original Message ----- From: "Brad Martin via Jfw" <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
[...]

This issue they're having is with properly linking to a podcast feed so iTunes opens. I just wanted to submit a ticket here
here
https://itunespodcasts.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
to see if it is possible to make a link on a website that opens iTunes to the reviews page of their podcast. I've emailed Apple's accessibility, but this link isn't a site they control directly.
Right after it says choose a topic is a line of dashes which will probably speak silent, depending on how punctuation is set. The virtual cursor off way might let me submit it in the wrong category, but it probably goes in other.
I've seen this setup on Uber's site also, but at least they let you email support@uber.com, but Apple doesn't have a podcast support email address.

[...]

Using your link, I went to the page, and selected the link that just said
-
under the heading
Submit A Request
Choose a Topic

When I pressed Enter on the dash, JAWS kind of lost its place, but I found
that same heading, and all the topics were displayed. They did not say
"link" before announcing the topic, but I just ignored that and pressed
the spacebar on Change Feed URL. Up came the page asking for my Email
address, etc.

Again, this was with Firefox 39.0.3 and JAWS 15.

Hope that helps,
Brad

[...]

get my ticket submitted?

Brad Martin
My Facebook page where I post online shopping coupons and deals:
Brad Martin
My Facebook page where I post online shopping coupons and deals:

Brent Harding

OK. I will have to try it that way. My message to Apple Accessibility already went out to make them aware that this page is difficult to use with screen readers. I don't know if they will do much, but it was worth a try.. I might've not been looking for the right place to find where the topics went. I was expecting them right below the dash link.