From: Jfw [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com] On Behalf Of Russell
Solowoniuk via Jfw
Sent: August-05-15 9:08 AM
To: 'The Jaws for Windows support list.' <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Cc: Russell Solowoniuk <rsolowoniuk@gmail.com>
Subject: Jaws 16, Outlook 2013 issues

Hi everyone,

I'm running Jaws 16, latest update, and Outlook 2013. My problem is, when
reading messages, when I am in an email message, and press CTRL + D to
delete the message, I am placed in the next email message in the list, but
Jaws loses focus. In order to get focus into the email message I must either
alt tab away and then back into the message, or, press the alt key twice.
Has anyone else experienced this issue, and, if so, is there a fix for it?

I am running Windows 10, but didn't wish to mention this, as the issue was
happening in Windows 8.1 as well.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Russell

Russell Solowoniuk

Hi Kevin,

Yes, if I close an email message, press delete, and then open the next message, all works fine.. I wanted to avoid doing this though. Especially when going through an email list like this Jaws list, I like to read through all the messages quickly, and having to close a message, delete it, and then open the next message, really does add a lot of time to the process when you are reading hundreds of messages. It’s so fast when CTRL + D works as it ought to.

Thanks,

Russell

On Aug 5, 2015, at 10:29 AM, Kevin Hourigan via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:

Hello Russell,
I am using the latest Jaws, Windows 7, 64,bit, and Outlook 2013, and do not
experience that issue. Did you try escape, and then delete to circumvent it?

Cheers Kevin

I'm running Jaws 16, latest update, and Outlook 2013. My problem is, when
reading messages, when I am in an email message, and press CTRL + D to
delete the message, I am placed in the next email message in the list, but
Jaws loses focus. In order to get focus into the email message I must either
alt tab away and then back into the message, or, press the alt key twice.
Has anyone else experienced this issue, and, if so, is there a fix for it?

I am running Windows 10, but didn't wish to mention this, as the issue was
happening in Windows 8.1 as well.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Russell

HAMILTON

Try simply pressing escape to leave the message; then, press delete to get
rid of that message - a 2-step process. I am using a very similar set-up to
yours, except that you may not be using Windows 8.1; but, that probably
would not change anything.

I am using the latest Jaws, Windows 7, 64,bit, and Outlook 2013, and do not
experience that issue. Did you try escape, and then delete to circumvent it?

Cheers Kevin

I'm running Jaws 16, latest update, and Outlook 2013. My problem is, when
reading messages, when I am in an email message, and press CTRL + D to
delete the message, I am placed in the next email message in the list, but
Jaws loses focus. In order to get focus into the email message I must either
alt tab away and then back into the message, or, press the alt key twice.
Has anyone else experienced this issue, and, if so, is there a fix for it?

I am running Windows 10, but didn't wish to mention this, as the issue was
happening in Windows 8.1 as well.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Russell

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Does the next message open automatically? There's an Outlook setting for that, probably under options--it's been a few years since I had the problem. I changed it to make it harder for the gremlins; with some infections, opening a message is all it takes.

Ted

I'm running Jaws 16, latest update, and Outlook 2013. My problem is,
when reading messages, when I am in an email message, and press CTRL +
D to delete the message, I am placed in the next email message in the
list, but Jaws loses focus. In order to get focus into the email
message I must either alt tab away and then back into the message, or, press the alt key twice.
Has anyone else experienced this issue, and, if so, is there a fix for it?

I am running Windows 10, but didn't wish to mention this, as the issue
was happening in Windows 8.1 as well.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Russell

HAMILTON

For that same reason, I do not like to have messages opening automatically. I
wish that I could get rid of this feature on my iPhone.

I'm running Jaws 16, latest update, and Outlook 2013. My problem is,
when reading messages, when I am in an email message, and press CTRL +
D to delete the message, I am placed in the next email message in the
list, but Jaws loses focus. In order to get focus into the email
message I must either alt tab away and then back into the message, or, press
the alt key twice.
Has anyone else experienced this issue, and, if so, is there a fix for it?

I am running Windows 10, but didn't wish to mention this, as the issue
was happening in Windows 8.1 as well.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Russell

Louise Johnson <herclouise@...>

Hi I don't have that problem and I tried it with the last few messages that I didn't want to keep.

when I do control delete I end up in the in box so I don't know how to help you.
I use the latest JAWS 16 and windows 8.1 and Outlook 2013 business version.

I have a question for all when turning on computer and going into email the first message is a problem after opening it as I lose speech and if I alt tab around it fixs the problem is anyone else having this problem. Louise and princess Kiara

I'm running Jaws 16, latest update, and Outlook 2013. My problem is,
when reading messages, when I am in an email message, and press CTRL +
D to delete the message, I am placed in the next email message in the
list, but Jaws loses focus. In order to get focus into the email
message I must either alt tab away and then back into the message, or, press the alt key twice.
Has anyone else experienced this issue, and, if so, is there a fix for it?

I am running Windows 10, but didn't wish to mention this, as the issue
was happening in Windows 8.1 as well.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Russell

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

I just delete to the next message, but if I had to, at the end, I could highlight by Control A, then Shifyt Delete, and it's bye bye e-mails.

Best to you from,

Carolyn

I'm running Jaws 16, latest update, and Outlook 2013. My problem is, when
reading messages, when I am in an email message, and press CTRL + D to
delete the message, I am placed in the next email message in the list, but
Jaws loses focus. In order to get focus into the email message I must either
alt tab away and then back into the message, or, press the alt key twice.
Has anyone else experienced this issue, and, if so, is there a fix for it?

I am running Windows 10, but didn't wish to mention this, as the issue was
happening in Windows 8.1 as well.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Russell

Les Kriegler <kriegler@...>

I am using Outlook 2010 with the latest build of Jaws 16. When I delete a
message I am reading with Ctrl-D, I am taken back to the list of messages.

Les

I'm running Jaws 16, latest update, and Outlook 2013. My problem is, when
reading messages, when I am in an email message, and press CTRL + D to
delete the message, I am placed in the next email message in the list, but
Jaws loses focus. In order to get focus into the email message I must either
alt tab away and then back into the message, or, press the alt key twice.
Has anyone else experienced this issue, and, if so, is there a fix for it?

I am running Windows 10, but didn't wish to mention this, as the issue was
happening in Windows 8.1 as well.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Russell

Adrian Spratt

Jim,

I hope the moderator will overlook this one transgression, but I believe there's an answer to your iPhone concern. I'll post instructions below, but in the future, you might want to join the list where visually impaired iPhone users can exchange information the way we do here. Search on google for "idevices" and maybe one or two other relevant terms. Okay, here's what someone posted on that list some time ago.

New email arrivals display a small preview of the message itself on the lock screen of iOS devices, which shows the sender, the subject, and part of the email message body. Because emails can contain some personal details, you may wish to hide those email message previews from showing up on the lock screen. It will not completely prevent email notifications from appearing on the lock screen or Notification Center of iOS devices. You can do that too, if you prefer. It just adds a layer of privacy by not showing the email preview. You'll still be able to tell that you have a new message and you'll continue to see the sender of the message, but onlookers will no longer get a preview of the message subject or body content if they happen to see the lock screen of your iPhone.
1. Open Settings and head to "Notifications."
2. Choose "Mail" then select the mail account to adjust the previews for.
3. Flip the switch for "Show Preview" to OFF.
4. Exit out of Settings.
With the mail preview turned off, only the sender will be revealed, and all subjects and message body previews will be replaced with a simple "Mail message" text.
You can do this for iMessages and text messages too, which is recommended if you are looking to bring additional privacy to your locked iOS devices.

For that same reason, I do not like to have messages opening automatically. I
wish that I could get rid of this feature on my iPhone.

I'm running Jaws 16, latest update, and Outlook 2013. My problem is,
when reading messages, when I am in an email message, and press CTRL +
D to delete the message, I am placed in the next email message in the
list, but Jaws loses focus. In order to get focus into the email
message I must either alt tab away and then back into the message, or, press
the alt key twice.
Has anyone else experienced this issue, and, if so, is there a fix for it?

I am running Windows 10, but didn't wish to mention this, as the issue
was happening in Windows 8.1 as well.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Russell

Adrian Spratt

Right, but as I think Ted posted, there's a setting that can change this behavior. Kevin is specifically looking to regain the ability to do a single keystroke to delete one message and immediately open up the next. I share Ted's concerns about the risks, as well as sometimes privacy, but it should be doable. It used to be.

I am using Outlook 2010 with the latest build of Jaws 16. When I delete a
message I am reading with Ctrl-D, I am taken back to the list of messages.

Les

I'm running Jaws 16, latest update, and Outlook 2013. My problem is, when
reading messages, when I am in an email message, and press CTRL + D to
delete the message, I am placed in the next email message in the list, but
Jaws loses focus. In order to get focus into the email message I must either
alt tab away and then back into the message, or, press the alt key twice.
Has anyone else experienced this issue, and, if so, is there a fix for it?

I am running Windows 10, but didn't wish to mention this, as the issue was
happening in Windows 8.1 as well.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Russell

HAMILTON

Sometimes, pressing insert+escape - refresh - fixes quirks like that.

I'm running Jaws 16, latest update, and Outlook 2013. My problem is,
when reading messages, when I am in an email message, and press CTRL +
D to delete the message, I am placed in the next email message in the
list, but Jaws loses focus. In order to get focus into the email
message I must either alt tab away and then back into the message, or, press
the alt key twice.
Has anyone else experienced this issue, and, if so, is there a fix for it?

I am running Windows 10, but didn't wish to mention this, as the issue
was happening in Windows 8.1 as well.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Russell

HAMILTON

Thank you. I should not have problems doing that. I did not think that it
would be that simple. This shows "lateral thinking" on your part - looking
at something from a different perspective - something at which I am normally
fairly good.

Although not fond of Google's privacy policy, I just may follow your
suggestion re "idevices".

[...]

The iDevices list and iPhone are Apple-related, not Google. Clearly a bad day for lateral thinking! And a bad day for me if I post another non-JAWS message here.

For that same reason, I do not like to have messages opening automatically.
wish that I could get rid of this feature on my iPhone.

I'm running Jaws 16, latest update, and Outlook 2013. My problem is,
when reading messages, when I am in an email message, and press CTRL +
D to delete the message, I am placed in the next email message in the
list, but Jaws loses focus. In order to get focus into the email
message I must either alt tab away and then back into the message, or,
press
the alt key twice.
Has anyone else experienced this issue, and, if so, is there a fix for it?

I am running Windows 10, but didn't wish to mention this, as the issue
was happening in Windows 8.1 as well.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Russell

Kimsan <kimsansong@...>

No bad days aloud, you're fired.

[...]

Refreshing the screen doesn't help in this case! Alt tabbing away and back
again, or pressing the alt key twice seems to be the only way to bring focus
back to the email message.

Thanks to everyone for suggestions. I know I can close the message, delete
it, and then open the next message. I was only wondering why, if one does
wish to use the CTRL + D method to delete an open email message, why Jaws
loses focus instead of landing in the next email message.

Thanks again.

Russell

Sometimes, pressing insert+escape - refresh - fixes quirks like that.

I'm running Jaws 16, latest update, and Outlook 2013. My problem is,
when reading messages, when I am in an email message, and press CTRL +
D to delete the message, I am placed in the next email message in the
list, but Jaws loses focus. In order to get focus into the email
message I must either alt tab away and then back into the message, or,
press
the alt key twice.
Has anyone else experienced this issue, and, if so, is there a fix for it?

I am running Windows 10, but didn't wish to mention this, as the issue
was happening in Windows 8.1 as well.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Russell

Russell Solowoniuk

Hi Carolyn,

Yes, there are many ways to accomplish reading and deleting emails... that's the beauty of technology... we can taylor it to the way we wish to use it, unless, of course, the way we wish to use it doesn't work as it ought to! Haha!

Have a great day.

Russell

I'm running Jaws 16, latest update, and Outlook 2013. My problem is, when
reading messages, when I am in an email message, and press CTRL + D to
delete the message, I am placed in the next email message in the list,
but
Jaws loses focus. In order to get focus into the email message I must
either
alt tab away and then back into the message, or, press the alt key twice.
Has anyone else experienced this issue, and, if so, is there a fix for
it?

I am running Windows 10, but didn't wish to mention this, as the issue
was
happening in Windows 8.1 as well.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Russell

Russell Solowoniuk

Hi all,

I just called FS regarding this issue and was told that it is a known bug,
and should be fixed in the next update to Jaws. Right now I'm using System
Access to read my email, and it works as it should. When I press CTRL + D, I
am placed in the next message and am able to read it without any extra
keystrokes. Also, I can move to the previous or next message and read
it by pressing CTRL + comma, or CTRL + period, respectively. With Jaws,
going to the next or previous message also causes Jaws to lose focus. Not
so with SA.

Cheers,

Russell