From: Jfw [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com] On Behalf Of Adrian Spratt via Jfw
Sent: Wednesday, August 05, 2015 8:36 AM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Cc: Adrian Spratt
Subject: Word 2010 has been crashing lately

Hi. Word 2010 was always stable for me until the last few weeks. I've spoken to my tech guy who says none of his clients are having this problem. I'm the only one who has JAWS, which suggests the problem may lie with one of the recent JAWS updates and its interaction with Word and other programs running in the background.

I'll pause typing, and Word will announce it is closing. Usually it comes back quickly, but my focus has shifted to the top of the document. Once in a great while it doesn't come back, and I've lost some data this way. Fortunately, I've long made a practice of saving every few minutes, so this isn't a serious problem, but it is a distraction.

I located online instructions for running a Word 2010 repair, but my tech guy discourages me from taking this step because he's convinced the problem isn't with Word.

So, my question is whether anyone else has experienced problems along these lines in recent weeks? I'd like to contact FS and not have them come back with the standard, and I suppose understandable, "We can't replicate..." and "We haven't received reports...," etc.

Feliciano G

Hi, I suggest your repair Microsoft Word. It is not going to hurt. It was simply narrow down what the problem is. What version of jaws do you have?

Regards,Feliciano For tech tips and updates, LIKE www.facebook.com/theblindman12v Follow www.twitter.com/theblindman12v

On Aug 5, 2015, at 5:36 AM, Adrian Spratt via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:

[...]

Adrian Spratt

Latest release of JAWS 16.

[...]

Londa Peterson

Hi Adrian,

I have many clients who are running JAWS 16 and Word 2010. None of them have
reported problems like this. Believe me when I say that I'd be hearing about
it if they were.

[...]

Have you tried to rebootjaws to see if that would help the problem? Jaws key + windows key + F4
One of my clients had a problem with Outlook and this fixed the problem even after trying to restart and turn off jaws.

Regards,Feliciano For tech tips and updates, LIKE www.facebook.com/theblindman12v Follow www.twitter.com/theblindman12v

On Aug 5, 2015, at 6:50 AM, Adrian Spratt via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:

Latest release of JAWS 16.

[...]

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Come to think of it, we still run 2010 and 16 here at the office--talk about overlooking the obvious! Despite Microsoft's offering 13 at dime store prices, we've never changed. It works fine.

Ted

[...]

Kevin Hourigan <kevinthourigan@...>

Hello Adrien,
I have not had that issue, but I am having issues with quick keys in Word.
Sometimes the cursor does not respond when I press H for the next heading
until I arrow down 1 line, and then press it again.
Cheers Kevin.

wrote:

[...]

scrubbed...

john.falter

Hi Adrian:
In the last three months three things could have changed:
1. Word2010--not likely.
2. JAWS16--certainly including the update for Win 10.
3. Your PC--possibly if you got an unfortunate windows update or added or removed some software.
Can you restore your pc to a point before the trouble started?

On 8/5/2015 8:36 AM, Adrian Spratt via Jfw wrote:
[...]

Thanks to everyone for responding. What a great list. So, as I suspected, the problem isn't the interaction between JAWS and Word 2010 by itself, despite Kevin's very specific issue. And, John, I don't know that I can identify the right time to go back for a restore.

Having just now rebooted following a Word crash, my JAWS went quiet almost immediately and I had to bring it back with insert-Win key-F4. This time a message came up that alerted me to what has been a problem from time to time. This is that an application named Labtech wants to close. When I close it, all is well again.

So now my question is does anyone have Labtech on their PC, and if so, has it caused any problems? This is an application installed by my tech guy so that he can monitor my PC. At least, that's what I understand.

[...]

Does he know his prescription may be causing side effects? There are all kinds of monitoring or logging programs for both corporate and private use these days.

Ted

[...]

HAMILTON

Is "LABTECH" possibly part of the problem?

[...]

That's what I was wondering. Was there a correlation between its installation and the onset of the problem?

[...]

The problem has become worse in the past month or so. Labtech was installed last October, and I was having problems at the time that either went away or that I just got used to working around. I do worry about background programs. Background antivirus programs have been a problem in the past, as many JAWS users know, but I don't believe that's the case this time. It's the Labtech message that keys me in on that application. I'm hoping someone else has it on their system and can report their experience with it.

[...]

Michael B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Adrian,

Does your technician monitor your computer on a regular basis? If not, try
disabling Labtech in msconfig / StartUp page, & see if that will help.
Take care.
Mike
This email was sent from my, iBarstool. Go Dodgers!

[...]

Hi Again Adrian,

I forgot to mention that if you disable Labtech, & your technician wants to
monitor your computer, you can always go back into msconfig & reenable
Labtech again.
[...]

Thanks, Mike. I'll make sure he's okay with this, but I've been thinking about something along the same lines. If nothing else, it would either identify or eliminate one possible cause of my Word and other issues.