Removing lock screen from Windows 8.1

Cristóbal

Hello list,

I’m trying to set up a Windows 8.1 machine and have more or less got
everything set up and am now trying to get rid of the lock screen that pops
up when turning on the desktop, but am running into difficulties.

I go through the prompts of adding the snag-in as apparently whatever group
policy that is needed was not included in my Win 8.1. When I go through the
steps however, I get an error message more or less saying that this snag-in
may not vve used with this version of Windows 8.1. To manage accounts for
this computer, use the user accounts tool in the control panel.

This isn’t getting me anywhere though.

I’ve poked around online and it seems that this issue isn’t unusual.

Anyway, most solutions entail adding the group policy via the snag-in that I
explained can’t be installed.

I also want to disable the windows hints, but again, same issue.

Has anyone delt with this issue and if so, how did they resolve it?

Using Jaws 16 if it makes any difference. And yes, I know I can also try
upgrading to Windows 10, but don’t wish to do so at the moment

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Jean Menzies <jemenzies@...>

Are you meaning the logon screen so that the computer boots without having a user need to sign on each time? If so, then that's easy.

Here is a site with instructions.

http://ccm.net/faq/33773-windows-8-1-disable-password-at-login-screen

sould Depedsearch

[...]

Barbara Hansen <the2skibears@...>

This doesn't seem to work for me. Do you mean to press "the windows key plus
r" to launch the "run" window from the "home screen" where the tiles for the
programs are located, or from the "desktop". Either way, I can't seem to get
past the "run" to get to step 3.
Any advice would be helpful.

Barbara H.

Jean Menzies <jemenzies@...>

Whatever you do to launch the run dialogue. E.g.:

press the Windows key wich brings up search.
Type run and press enter. You are now in the run dialogue.
Then type

control userpasswords2

Press enter, and you will be on a checkbox about whether users need to use a user name and password to log on to the computer.

This doesn't seem to work for me. Do you mean to press "the windows key plus
r" to launch the "run" window from the "home screen" where the tiles for the
programs are located, or from the "desktop". Either way, I can't seem to get
past the "run" to get to step 3.
Any advice would be helpful.

Barbara H.

Barbara Hansen <the2skibears@...>

Hi Jean,

Thanks so much.
I was adding a space between "user and password2". Now it works.

Best to you.
Barbara

Kimsan <kimsansong@...>

Press and hold the windows key and then press r, then type what he
wrote.However, I just did it after pressing the windows key, typed r, it was
the second result for me, but just skip all that and do what was stated
above.
He, I think was having you search for it.