learning to do scripting

Jean Menzies <jemenzies@...>

Just wondering how one learns to do scripting? If you can't see the screen to begin with, how do you know what to code? Scripting interests me, but I don't know how to get started. Are there any resources that teach this from the beginning from a blind point of view?

Jean

Maria Campbell

Good luck. Some folks charge for classes online, which I tried, but lost my money because I didn't even understand to get past the first class. I don't think I could learn from a book, either. Possibly the only way for me would be hands on.
I sure would love to learn, but I just may not be smart enough.

On 7/29/2015 9:26 AM, Jean Menzies via Jfw wrote:
Just wondering how one learns to do scripting? If you can't see the
screen to begin with, how do you know what to code? Scripting interests
me, but I don't know how to get started. Are there any resources that
teach this from the beginning from a blind point of view?

Jean

Sunny Day
Maria Campbell
lucky1@ct.metrocast.net

Mario

the best way of getting familiar with scripting is to follow the "basics of scripting" downloaded from freedomscientific.com. you can also refer to the help built in JAWS by pressing insert f1. to open books, just right arrow. to read topics, press enter on them and press f6 to switch to it's window. press shift f6 to get back to the table of contents, and repeat. alternately, there is a previous/next link or button at the end of the window. this way, you can take your time.

On 7/29/2015 10:08 AM, Maria Campbell via Jfw wrote:
Good luck. Some folks charge for classes online, which I tried, but
lost my money because I didn't even understand to get past the first
class. I don't think I could learn from a book, either. Possibly the
only way for me would be hands on.
I sure would love to learn, but I just may not be smart enough.

On 7/29/2015 9:26 AM, Jean Menzies via Jfw wrote:
Just wondering how one learns to do scripting? If you can't see the
screen to begin with, how do you know what to code? Scripting interests
me, but I don't know how to get started. Are there any resources that
teach this from the beginning from a blind point of view?

Jean

Mr. Eyeball (AccessTelevision.tv Gmail)

Jean
I have ask the same thing many times, I never really got a anser!
You can find the resources you are looking for on the FS homepage!

Just wondering how one learns to do scripting? If you can't see the screen
to begin with, how do you know what to code? Scripting interests me, but I
don't know how to get started. Are there any resources that teach this from
the beginning from a blind point of view?

Jean

Paul Martz <skewmatrix@...>

There is a mailing list for JAWS scripting:
http://www.freelists.org/list/jawsscripts

I intend to learn scripting in the near future, as soon as I can clear some
time to work on it. I have made a living as a computer programmer for the
past 30 years, so I don't expect it to be difficult. It will be "just
another programming language". But if you don't have experience as a
programmer, then I imagine you might find it quite a challenge. You would
need to not only learn the JAWS scripting language, but you'd also need to
learn basic programming concepts such as syntax, build errors, iteration,
conditionals, variables, data structures, programming interfaces, software
design principles, project management, etc. These are all things I learned
in high school and college back in the late 1970s and early 1980s, so they
are ingrained in me, but they would present a significant, perhaps
insurmountable, learning curve for someone new to the area and
self-educating more or less in isolation.

Huh. After reading that, I guess I sound like some kind of know it all! Ha
ha. That was not my intent. I was just trying to point out that JAWS
scripting is, in essence, computer programming. And that's something most
people spend years learning how to do well. I just want you to know what
you're getting into.
-Paul

Just wondering how one learns to do scripting? If you can't see the screen
begin with, how do you know what to code? Scripting interests me, but I
don't know how to get started. Are there any resources that teach this
from
the beginning from a blind point of view?

Jean

Andre Jarreau <andre.jarreau@...>

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your comments and link list for scripting. And especially thank
you for volunteering to take us through scripting...grin

Andre

[...]

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

I haven't looked lately, but I think a manual was once part of the JAWS package, and I know one exists.

Ted

I have ask the same thing many times, I never really got a anser!
You can find the resources you are looking for on the FS homepage!

Just wondering how one learns to do scripting? If you can't see the screen to begin with, how do you know what to code? Scripting interests me, but I don't know how to get started. Are there any resources that teach this from the beginning from a blind point of view?

Jean

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

From the little I've seen, it's fairly high-level--more plain language than machine language. There was a little script making the rounds on one of these lists a while back for quieting JAWS, before the ins-space came along. Some of you probably remember what I'm talking about.
Ted

[...]

Mcginnis, Barbara

I took scripting at St. Petersburg at Freedom-Scientific. Now, this was ten years ago. I am sighted and I was lost. I am not a programmer at heart and that is what scripting is--programming. If I was writing a script/program to fry an egg, I would forget that I needed to open a drawer to find the flapjack flipper to turn the egg.

I haven't looked lately, but I think a manual was once part of the JAWS package, and I know one exists.

Ted

I have ask the same thing many times, I never really got a anser!
You can find the resources you are looking for on the FS homepage!

Just wondering how one learns to do scripting? If you can't see the screen to begin with, how do you know what to code? Scripting interests me, but I don't know how to get started. Are there any resources that teach this from the beginning from a blind point of view?

Jean

________________________________

Maria Campbell

That's me, I think, though I'm blind. Smile.
I'd like to learn scripting, just as I'd like to sing well. Both beyond my reach, sad to say.

On 8/3/2015 11:00 AM, Mcginnis, Barbara via Jfw wrote:
[...]

I never got any further than batch files, something we don't use much these days.

[...]

Nicole Massey <nyyki@...>

I still use batch files, because they make it easy to do things you'd want
to do from a command line but editing it so you can control the output, and
also using Jaws to make sure you're not typing or fat fingering something.

I never got any further than batch files, something we don't use much
these days.

I haven't looked lately, but I think a manual was once part of the JAWS
package, and I know one exists.

Ted

I have ask the same thing many times, I never really got a anser!
You can find the resources you are looking for on the FS homepage!

Just wondering how one learns to do scripting? If you can't see the
screen to begin with, how do you know what to code? Scripting interests
me, but I don't know how to get started. Are there any resources that
teach this from the beginning from a blind point of view?

Jean

________________________________

Email correspondence to and from this address is subject to the North
Carolina Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties by an
authorized State official. Unauthorized disclosure of juvenile, health,
legally privileged, or otherwise confidential information, including
confidential information relating to an ongoing State procurement
effort, is prohibited by law. If you have received this email in error,
please notify the sender immediately and delete all records of this
email.

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

AH yes, they're wonderful. I had them for all major apps, written so that whatever files I worked on would back up upon exit--those were the days. I might not have watched movies on my PC back then, but backing up, getting out of jams, deleting unwanted programs without a trace--dos had its advantages.

Ted