opening recent word documents in 2013

Gennie Eachus <eachusgm@...>

After you open Word, press escape.

Then alt-f. You will be on the ribbon

You may already be on open, but if you arrow up and down, you will find
open.

Tab to recent.

Tab again to the list of documents.

Also, pressing control-o for open and then tab will take you to recent.

Press tab to file list.

When you press control-o JAWS does not speak so tab anyway.

Michael B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Gennie,

To open the ribbons, don't you press the, Alt key, & not the Escape key?
Take care.
Mike
This email was sent from my, iBarstool. Go Dodgers!

You may already be on open, but if you arrow up and down, you will find
open.

Tab to recent.

Tab again to the list of documents.

Also, pressing control-o for open and then tab will take you to recent.

Press tab to file list.

When you press control-o JAWS does not speak so tab anyway.

Ann Byrne

Do you need the escape key in order to get out of the weird opening view??? Here are a couple of set up notes from CathyAnne Murtha's Word 2013 textbook that will hopefully make the escape key unnecessary:

Disable Reading View
By default, most documents open in Reading view within Word. This is difficult for screen readers to maneuver. To disable this setting:
* Open Microsoft Word Backstage (ALT-F)
* Activate Options (T)
* On the first screen of the options, navigate (TAB and SHIFT-TAB) to "Open Email Attachments and other uneditable files in reading view" and uncheck the checkbox.

Activate the OK button to close the options and save the changes.
Disable the Word Start Screen

When you first launch Word, it displays a start screen. You can disable this start screen in the options.
* Open Microsoft Word Backstage (ALT-F)
* Activate Options (T)
* On the first screen of the options, navigate (TAB and SHIFT-TAB) to "Show the start screen when this application starts" and uncheck the checkbox with SPACEBAR.

Activate the OK button to close the options and save the changes.

Adrian Spratt

Hi, Mike. Whether or not you first press escape, Jenny points us to the alt-f, open option. But I'm glad you posted now because I hadn't checked this method when first reading this thread, and I don't think it addresses the original question. Here's what I find.

To begin with, you can press o after alt-f to go right into the open tab. Hence, alt-f, o.

When no document is already open, this "open" menu rings up the list of files in the most recently used folder or, if Word has just been opened, the location where Word folders are stored.

However, if there is an open file, this menu, among other things, indicates if prior versions of the file exist and, presumably, enable you to open them.

That said, the threshold question was whether, in recent versions of Word, it is possible to find the most recent five, or whatever, most recently opened documents. In Word 2003, you pressed alt-f, then arrowed up through that list. I don't find that option after pressing alt-f, o.

You may already be on open, but if you arrow up and down, you will find
open.

Tab to recent.

Tab again to the list of documents.

Also, pressing control-o for open and then tab will take you to recent.

Press tab to file list.

When you press control-o JAWS does not speak so tab anyway.

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

I have Office 2010, went over there, tried a few things - Alt R, Left Arrow to Recent, about five left Arrows. You have to go down that ribbon, but the stuff is there. It told me the files where I had been.

Best to you from,

Carolyn

You may already be on open, but if you arrow up and down, you will find
open.

Tab to recent.

Tab again to the list of documents.

Also, pressing control-o for open and then tab will take you to recent.

Press tab to file list.

When you press control-o JAWS does not speak so tab anyway.

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

Right Mike - Alt R.

Best to you from,

Carolyn

You may already be on open, but if you arrow up and down, you will find
open.

Tab to recent.

Tab again to the list of documents.

Also, pressing control-o for open and then tab will take you to recent.

Press tab to file list.

When you press control-o JAWS does not speak so tab anyway.

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

Well, I did Alt R, and Left Arrow back, but then also tried Alt F and O and arrowed around to where I could get my directory. I did like that method in 2003 for the last five files. When I get whatever I get in a few months, then I'll buy a book for whatever system I get with the thing.

Best to you from,

Carolyn

You may already be on open, but if you arrow up and down, you will find
open.

Tab to recent.

Tab again to the list of documents.

Also, pressing control-o for open and then tab will take you to recent.

Press tab to file list.

When you press control-o JAWS does not speak so tab anyway.

Kevin Hourigan <kevinthourigan@...>

Try Alt F, R.

You may already be on open, but if you arrow up and down, you will find
open.

Tab to recent.

Tab again to the list of documents.

Also, pressing control-o for open and then tab will take you to recent.

Press tab to file list.

When you press control-o JAWS does not speak so tab anyway.

Adrian Spratt

That's it, Kevin. Nice. After pressing this short cut, either tab or arrow up/down through the documents. Word supplies additional information here that could be useful.

You may already be on open, but if you arrow up and down, you will find
open.

Tab to recent.

Tab again to the list of documents.

Also, pressing control-o for open and then tab will take you to recent.

Press tab to file list.

When you press control-o JAWS does not speak so tab anyway.

Gennie Eachus <eachusgm@...>

Mike,

The escape is used to make it so that you can get to the ribbon. You are in
the back stage view.

You may already be on open, but if you arrow up and down, you will find
open.

Tab to recent.

Tab again to the list of documents.

Also, pressing control-o for open and then tab will take you to recent.

Press tab to file list.

When you press control-o JAWS does not speak so tab anyway.

Michael B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Gennie,

Thanks for getting me squared away.
Take care.
Mike
This email was sent from my, iBarstool. Go Dodgers!

The escape is used to make it so that you can get to the ribbon. You are in
the back stage view.

You may already be on open, but if you arrow up and down, you will find
open.

Tab to recent.

Tab again to the list of documents.

Also, pressing control-o for open and then tab will take you to recent.

Press tab to file list.

When you press control-o JAWS does not speak so tab anyway.

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

Perfect, Kevin - way easier than how I tried it. Thanks.

Best to you from,

Carolyn