From: Jfw [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com] On Behalf Of Claudia via
Jfw
Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2015 8:14 PM
To: 'The Jaws for Windows support list.' <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Cc: Claudia <claudiadr2013@gmail.com>
Subject: Optimizing Windows 8

Hi,

I have a new Dell Inspiron computer with Windows 8, and I need to know how
to optimize it. I don't know how to use windows 8, so any help would be
great.
Also, wanting to know what I can delete that Dell puts on there, that I
don't nee.
I have JFW 16 installed on it and I have no idea how to find any software
I've installed.
Thanks.

Kelly Pierce

Before doing anything more, I strongly suggest upgrading to Windows
8.1, which is much better for a blind end user than Windows 8. After
that, I used a book about Windows 8.1 found on bookshare to introduce
me to the changes and the options for configuring my system for
Windows 8.1.

Kelly

On 7/22/15, Joseph Lee via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:
Hi,
How familiar are you with Windows 7? If you know how to search for programs
and files, then Windows 8.x isn't that different from Windows 7.
To locate programs you've installed, press Windows key to open Start
screen,
then provided you are greeted with tiles, press Control+TAB to show all
programs.
Cheers,
Joseph

I have a new Dell Inspiron computer with Windows 8, and I need to know how
to optimize it. I don't know how to use windows 8, so any help would be
great.
Also, wanting to know what I can delete that Dell puts on there, that I
don't nee.
I have JFW 16 installed on it and I have no idea how to find any software
I've installed.
Thanks.

Cristóbal

Hello Kelly,
Do you happen to recall the name of the Windows 8.1 book you used? I used a
bunch of BookShare books for Win7 and iOS when I first started to use those
OS's. They were all very helpful.
I’m thinking of upgrading to a Win 8.1 machine in the next few weeks when
all the back to school specials and dumping of 8.1 PC's begins with the roll
out of Win10 and would like to familiarize myself with it so I don’t' go in
for lack of a better term, blind.
Thanks,

I have a new Dell Inspiron computer with Windows 8, and I need to know how
to optimize it. I don't know how to use windows 8, so any help would be
great.
Also, wanting to know what I can delete that Dell puts on there, that I
don't nee.
I have JFW 16 installed on it and I have no idea how to find any software
I've installed.
Thanks.

Kelly Pierce

I used Windows 8.1 The Missing Manual by David Pogue. It is jammed
packed with information and fully describes both the destop version of
Windows 8.1 and the futureistic tile-based interface that was highly
criticized initially. The book describes how to navigate both worlds
seamlessly by explaining in understandable language and methods the
important new concepts.

BTW: I am sticking with Windows 8.1 for now. In the last podcast,
Freedom Scientific's lead developer issued a warning to end users
about upgrading to Windows 10 now. I accepted this communication with
the seriousness intended and will wait for further guidance this fall.

Kelly

On 7/23/15, Cristóbal via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:
[...]

Adrian Spratt

In case anyone is considering buying Windows 8.1, Windows 10 will revert to the Windows 7 start menu and other features, an apparent admission by MS that win8 and 8.1 weren't a grand success. A better bet might be to buy Win7 and wait for the win10 bugs to be ironed out. It Among other things, it could save a lot of learning and un-learning.

I have a new Dell Inspiron computer with Windows 8, and I need to know
how
to optimize it. I don't know how to use windows 8, so any help would be
great.
Also, wanting to know what I can delete that Dell puts on there, that I
don't nee.
I have JFW 16 installed on it and I have no idea how to find any software
I've installed.
Thanks.

Claudia

I apologize; it does have 8.1.
What I need to know is whetehr Ms Security Essentials, is good enough, for
my antivirus needs? The Dell has Mcaff, but I don't like that and want to
uninstall it.