How do I do a screen capture on a laptop?

Kramlinger, Keith G., M.D.

Hi,

I need to capture a webpage screenshot to send to a company about a problem I am having on their site. How do I do a screenshot on a laptop?

Thanks in advance, Keith

Soronel Haetir

If you don't have a physical print screen key it is likely that you
have one that can be activated by a Fn-key combo. Unfortunately which
key you will need to hit in combination with Fn is model specific and
you will probably need someone who can actually see the keyboard to
tell you which one.

You could try random keys and hope you find it but you might
accidentally mute your sound or disable the network or something else
undesirable if you go that route. And also unfortunately the
manufacturer is unlikely to have a text list available that would
simply tell you. Far easier to just to get some sighted assistance for
this one.

On 7/22/15, Kramlinger, Keith G., M.D. via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:
Hi,

I need to capture a webpage screenshot to send to a company about a problem
I am having on their site. How do I do a screenshot on a laptop?

Thanks in advance, Keith

Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Jason White

Soronel Haetir via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:
If you don't have a physical print screen key it is likely that you
have one that can be activated by a Fn-key combo. Unfortunately which
key you will need to hit in combination with Fn is model specific and
you will probably need someone who can actually see the keyboard to
tell you which one.
Would key describe mode identify it? I suspect not, but it's worth
investigating.

Soronel Haetir

As far as I know key describe mode is completely unaware of Fn modification.

On 7/22/15, Jason White via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:
Soronel Haetir via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:
If you don't have a physical print screen key it is likely that you
have one that can be activated by a Fn-key combo. Unfortunately which
key you will need to hit in combination with Fn is model specific and
you will probably need someone who can actually see the keyboard to
tell you which one.
Would key describe mode identify it? I suspect not, but it's worth
investigating.

Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

john.falter

<jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:
Hi,

I need to capture a webpage screenshot to send to a company about a
problem I am having on their site. How do I do a screenshot on a
laptop?

Thanks in advance, Keith

Can you use the JAWS virtualize window function?
Jawskey + alt + w

douglas richard dexheimer

what is the nvda virtualize window keystroke?

Douglas Richard Dexheimer
Chief of Braille Productions
Born-Again Productions
The Friedman Place, Apt.308
5527 N. Maplewood Ave.
Chicago, IL 60625
cell phone 913-244-0612
drichardd@earthlink.net

On 7/22/2015 8:57 PM, john.falter via Jfw wrote:

On 7/22/2015 7:14 PM, Soronel Haetir via Jfw wrote:
If you don't have a physical print screen key it is likely that you
> have one that can be activated by a Fn-key combo. Unfortunately
> which key you will need to hit in combination with Fn is model
> specific and you will probably need someone who can actually see the
> keyboard to tell you which one.
>
> You could try random keys and hope you find it but you might
> accidentally mute your sound or disable the network or something
> else undesirable if you go that route. And also unfortunately the
> manufacturer is unlikely to have a text list available that would
> simply tell you. Far easier to just to get some sighted assistance
> for this one.
>
> On 7/22/15, Kramlinger, Keith G., M.D. via Jfw
> <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I need to capture a webpage screenshot to send to a company about a
>> problem I am having on their site. How do I do a screenshot on a
>> laptop?
>>
>> Thanks in advance, Keith

Can you use the JAWS virtualize window function?
Jawskey + alt + w

---

douglas richard dexheimer

i forgot to mention on a windows 7 machine.

Douglas Richard Dexheimer
Chief of Braille Productions
Born-Again Productions
The Friedman Place, Apt.308
5527 N. Maplewood Ave.
Chicago, IL 60625
cell phone 913-244-0612
drichardd@earthlink.net

On 7/22/2015 8:57 PM, john.falter via Jfw wrote:

On 7/22/2015 7:14 PM, Soronel Haetir via Jfw wrote:
If you don't have a physical print screen key it is likely that you
> have one that can be activated by a Fn-key combo. Unfortunately
> which key you will need to hit in combination with Fn is model
> specific and you will probably need someone who can actually see the
> keyboard to tell you which one.
>
> You could try random keys and hope you find it but you might
> accidentally mute your sound or disable the network or something
> else undesirable if you go that route. And also unfortunately the
> manufacturer is unlikely to have a text list available that would
> simply tell you. Far easier to just to get some sighted assistance
> for this one.
>
> On 7/22/15, Kramlinger, Keith G., M.D. via Jfw
> <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I need to capture a webpage screenshot to send to a company about a
>> problem I am having on their site. How do I do a screenshot on a
>> laptop?
>>
>> Thanks in advance, Keith

Can you use the JAWS virtualize window function?
Jawskey + alt + w

---

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Actually, it probably would. It works on a desktop.

Ted

If you don't have a physical print screen key it is likely that you
have one that can be activated by a Fn-key combo. Unfortunately which
key you will need to hit in combination with Fn is model specific and
you will probably need someone who can actually see the keyboard to
tell you which one.
Would key describe mode identify it? I suspect not, but it's worth investigating.

Soronel Haetir

On a desktop PrintScreen is not invoked via a key combo, though.

On 7/23/15, Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS) via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:
Actually, it probably would. It works on a desktop.

Ted

If you don't have a physical print screen key it is likely that you
have one that can be activated by a Fn-key combo. Unfortunately which
key you will need to hit in combination with Fn is model specific and
you will probably need someone who can actually see the keyboard to
tell you which one.
Would key describe mode identify it? I suspect not, but it's worth
investigating.

Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Yes. That might be a worthwhile feature for a future upgrade. It might help if the key combo was standardized across different makes and models, as JAWS has a built-in laptop layout.