From: "Adrian Spratt via Jfw" <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Cc: "Adrian Spratt" <Adrian@AdrianSpratt.com>
Sent: Monday, July 20, 2015 04:21 AM
Subject: I can't sign in at Bank of America

I've had this problem for the past week. When I go to the sign-in page and
enter my username, I get a message saying the username must be at least six
characters long. (Mine has more.) It seems the system isn't recognizing that
I've entered the data in the edit field.

I've toggled the virtual cursor on and off. When entering the data in the
edit field fails to get me to the next screen, I've gone back and pressed
enter on the edit field before entering the username. Still no success.

When I turn on the JAWS cursor, I notice that my username appears on the
screen.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any ideas?

Adrian Spratt

Dave,

Your suggestion finally motivated me to test the new "semi-auto" forms mode, as well as manual. I think I'm going to revert to manual because pages load more quickly. With forms mode on full or semi auto, JAWS pops into an edit field when a page loads, which itself takes a moment, and then I usually need another moment to extricate it with the PC cursor.

Using manual forms mode, I think I've determined my BofA problem isn't with JAWS, but with the bank suddenly not remembering my username. It means another call to the banks' miserable customer service phone line.

Have you tried this web site with auto forms mode turned off? The edit field
will then require you type the Enter key before it opens. This might be a
more assertive way to focus on the edit fields.

Dave Carlson
Oregonian, woodworker, Engineer, Musician, and pioneer

I've had this problem for the past week. When I go to the sign-in page and
enter my username, I get a message saying the username must be at least six
characters long. (Mine has more.) It seems the system isn't recognizing that
I've entered the data in the edit field.

I've toggled the virtual cursor on and off. When entering the data in the
edit field fails to get me to the next screen, I've gone back and pressed
enter on the edit field before entering the username. Still no success.

When I turn on the JAWS cursor, I notice that my username appears on the
screen.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any ideas?

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Adrian. The problem with the Bank of America site is that now, the user I.D. and the password must be entered on the same page. If you find the password field on the same page as the box for your user I.D., the false error about a user I.D. being more than eight characters will disappear, and you will be able to log into the Bank of America site.

Again, there is nothing wrong with the site, or with your login. Just find the password box before you sign in with your username, and all will be well.
Bill White billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 11967 (20150720) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 11967 (20150720) __________

http://www.eset.com

Brad Martin

I don't sign into B of A very often, so I just tried it. I used Firefox version 39 and JAWS 15.

For me, the username and password fields were not on the same page as Bill described, although I've read that's supposed to be coming.

For me, I entered my online ID as usual and went to the next screen. There was a message saying the passcode field was unavailable without at least six characters of the username entered, but I ignored it and entered my password in the password field anyway. It worked.

Sometimes these errors are hard coded into the website, and sighted people either see them or not based on programming; but JAWS will find errors that the rest of the word can't see. I think that's what happened here. In any case, I just blew through that error message like it didn't exist, and I got right in. I should say the only B of A account I have is a credit card, not a bank account, so I might have been accessing something different--or maybe not. I just went to www.bankofamerica.com and followed the prompts as always.

Hope this helps,
Brad

On 7/20/2015 6:21 AM, Adrian Spratt via Jfw wrote:
I've had this problem for the past week. When I go to the sign-in page and enter my username, I get a message saying the username must be at least six characters long. (Mine has more.) It seems the system isn't recognizing that I've entered the data in the edit field.

I've toggled the virtual cursor on and off. When entering the data in the edit field fails to get me to the next screen, I've gone back and pressed enter on the edit field before entering the username. Still no success.

When I turn on the JAWS cursor, I notice that my username appears on the screen.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any ideas?
Brad Martin

Gary King

Brad,
With my credit card account, my experience is exactly the same as yours. I agree that JAWS is picking up an error message that is supposed to remain hidden unless there is an actual error.

Even with the latest build of JAWS 16, I am still getting HTML code spoken by JAWS on some web pages using IE11. I thought FS had that cleaned up, but I guess not.

Gary King
w4wkz@bellsouth.net

[...]

Brad and Gary, both of you are correct, as was Bill. Even after I typed in the passcode, I was faced with an ambiguous page. Control-tab took me to another page where alt-n was waiting to have me read or download the PDF version of my statement. I don't find that Bofa's opening pages work intuitively, but at least I've regained access.