Soronel, How many characters can be in a folder or file name in Win 7?

Soronel Haetir

The 32768 is the total character limit. As I said, if using NTFS
(which is the default for hard drives) each level of the file system
is limited to 256 characters but there is also a total limit of 32768
characters, that total limit includes any leading drive specifier and
all path separators (the "c:\"and the '\' characters).

That 32768 character limit also applies if you are doing something on
the network and there it includes machine and share names.

IEFoexample you might have a network path like:
\\my_computer\c_drive\users\myself\documents\some_file.doc

Such a path cannot exceed 32768 characters in total length. Honestly,
I would be very scared if you ever got anywhere close to that length.

On 7/19/15, Mario via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:
Soronel, please explain this 32768, what does it pertain to?

On 7/19/2015 7:21 PM, Soronel Haetir via Jfw wrote:
If talking about an NTFS file system each level is limited to 256
characters and the total is limited to 32768, including drive
specifier and directory separators.

On 7/19/15, Kramlinger, Keith G., M.D. via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
wrote:
Hi,

I'm planning some hard drive folder / file management.

How long can folder names and file names be in Windows 7? Are spaces
permitted?

Thanks in advance, Keith

Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com