Outlook 2003 attachments

Paul Martz <skewmatrix@...>

Hi all. I'm working with a client using Office 2003 and the current version
of JAWS. The client is having trouble accessing email attachments. I've
never used JAWS with Office 2003, so I'm unsure how to do this. Here's what
I've tried, and the problems I've ran into.

After opening an email with an attachment, I did a shift-tab to try to move
to the attachments area of the message window. This doesn't work when the
email is in HTML format. Instead, shift-tab moves me backwards through the
links in the message body.

To resolve the shift-tab issue, I went into email options and set it to
display all email as plain text. After this change, shift-tab does allow me
to move to the attachments area. However, in the case of multiple
attachments, there is no trivial way to move to a specific attachment (arrow
keys don't do this).

I was able to eventually open a specific attachment, by switching to the
JAWS cursor, control-arrow to a specific attachment, then invoke a double
left click with numpad-/. While this does work for me, my client lacks the
JAWS expertise to manage this on her own, and we don't have the training
budget for me to take her through the necessary curriculum.

The only other option I'm aware of would be to go to the file menu and save
attachments. Then she would simply open them from the saved location. This
is a less direct solution than the client would prefer.

Any ideas on opening attachments in Word 2003? All help would be
appreciated.
-Paul

Ann Marie Medlar <amedlar1@...>

I use word 2003 and Outlook Express. A Jaws command for attachments is JawsKey+A
unsure about specific types of attachments but maybe send me a like type attachment to test.
amedlar1@gmail.com

[...]

Just testedit and it works but using Jaws15 and XP.
I created two files
test one.html
Test two.html
and attached both into an email message. I used shift tab and JawsKey+a
then used left right arrow keys and no problems.

[...]

Adrian Spratt

Paul,

To me, HTML formatting for messages is essential because I constantly use the links to connect to online items. When I get an HTML email message with attachments, I simply place focus at the top of the message. This ensures that a single press of shift-tab will take me to the attachments field.

Multiple attachments is a hit-or-miss proposition for me. I do find that I can locate all attachments if I do enough arrowing (up and down, left and right). It helps if JAWS is relatively fresh (that is, if I rebooted fairly recently). Your workarounds look useful, and I'll keep them for future reference. So you probably helped me more than I have you!

Oh, I'm using Outlook 2010, but in these respects, I recall Outlook 2003 being the same.

[...]

Kimber Gardner

This problem isn't unique to outlook 2003 as I still have it with 2010
and 2013. In fact someone just sent me an attachment this morning that
I couldn't access no matter what I tried.

I seem to recall someone (maybe on this list) saying that you could
forward the email to yourself, changing the email from html to
something else before sending and get to the attachment that way. I
never had much success with that method either.

I will try your method using the jaws cursor.

Thanks,
Kimber

On 7/15/15, Paul Martz via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:
[...]

Kimberly

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

I had Word 2003 for years. The best I remember, I had to hit Left Arrow then Spacebar. Once in, sometimes I had to tab (not Shift tab) to, say a link, if Youtube or something was the attachment. Of course, I hit Insert A to try to open it, then Enter, then the Left Arrow to Open, then Spacebar or Enter. I hope this will work, and, honestly, it might work in some but not all.

Remember, life is what you make it,

Carolyn

[...]

This is interesting, as it sounds like my client's Outlook 2003 isn't
behaving as it does for other posters here on the list.

But I did collect a few tips from your posts, thanks. I'll try them out,
next time I work with my client.
-Paul

Harry Spencer <spencer-h@...>

A surefire way to get to attachments is to save them to a folder and open
them there. Harry

This is interesting, as it sounds like my client's Outlook 2003 isn't
behaving as it does for other posters here on the list.

But I did collect a few tips from your posts, thanks. I'll try them out,
next time I work with my client.
-Paul

Brad Martin

Paul,

I have Outlook 2003 at work, which is not where I am right now. At home I'm using Thunderbird. But you are correct, there is no great way to use attachments in Outlook 2003. I do exactly what you said--that is, route JAWS to PC, then use the arrow keys to select the attachment I want to open, then double-click. It's not very direct, but it is the easiest way to go. You are correct that Shift Tab can sometimes take you through links in the message, and then it's a matter of trying to tab to the attachments field, but then getting the attachment to open can be a trick. Using the JAWS cursor has been my best bet.

Brad