searching for files

Mario

hi fellow listers, I'm trying to find out the location (path) of a file. I'm using the search feature in W7, but nothing is found. can someone instruct me as how to do this?

I press the Windows key.
type the filename, a dot and extension. sometimes I'll use the star/asterisk as a wildcard in place of an extension or letters in a filename.
at this point, do I press the enter key? I don't think so, but maybe I do? or might there be a setting that needs to be changed? I'm not sure. I miss XP's file search facility <sigh>.

Russell Solowoniuk

Hi,

As you type, you should hear results according to the letters you’ve typed so far. When you hear the first result, you can either type more letters to narrow the results, or press the down arrow to move through a list of results.

HTH

Russell

On Jun 29, 2015, at 8:33 AM, Mario via Jfw <jfw@...> wrote:

hi fellow listers, I'm trying to find out the location (path) of a file. I'm using the search feature in W7, but nothing is found. can someone instruct me as how to do this?

I press the Windows key.
type the filename, a dot and extension. sometimes I'll use the star/asterisk as a wildcard in place of an extension or letters in a filename.
at this point, do I press the enter key? I don't think so, but maybe I do? or might there be a setting that needs to be changed? I'm not sure. I miss XP's file search facility <sigh>.

Dave...

Once you enter all or part of the filename, the search will come up with
different categories, such as files, documents, messages, etc. Just use your
cursor arrow keys to move up and down through the list to see if your file
shows up.

Dave Carlson
Oregonian, woodworker, Engineer, Musician, and pioneer

hi fellow listers, I'm trying to find out the location (path) of a file.
I'm using the search feature in W7, but nothing is found. can someone
instruct me as how to do this?

I press the Windows key.
type the filename, a dot and extension. sometimes I'll use the
star/asterisk as a wildcard in place of an extension or letters in a
filename.
at this point, do I press the enter key? I don't think so, but maybe I
do? or might there be a setting that needs to be changed? I'm not sure.
I miss XP's file search facility <sigh>.

Adrian Spratt

Mario,

If I understand you correctly, you're not asking how to find a file, but instead, how to find its path. Yes? If you have Win7 set up in so-called "classic" mode (I don't), the following instructions should work. Meanwhile, I'll try to remember how I figured this out when not set up in classic mode.

go to control panel, open folder options, control tab to view, tab twice to list view then arrow down and check both add path to title bar and address bar. when this is done click apply then ok. Now when you highlight the folder you can tab to the address bar and copy the path.

hi fellow listers, I'm trying to find out the location (path) of a file.
I'm using the search feature in W7, but nothing is found. can someone
instruct me as how to do this?

I press the Windows key.
type the filename, a dot and extension. sometimes I'll use the
star/asterisk as a wildcard in place of an extension or letters in a
filename.
at this point, do I press the enter key? I don't think so, but maybe I
do? or might there be a setting that needs to be changed? I'm not sure.
I miss XP's file search facility <sigh>.

Ann Byrne

If you used it recently in Word, try the recent files. Alt-f, r, tab.

At 09:33 AM 6/29/2015, you wrote:
hi fellow listers, I'm trying to find out the location (path) of a file. I'm using the search feature in W7, but nothing is found. can someone instruct me as how to do this?

I press the Windows key.
type the filename, a dot and extension. sometimes I'll use the star/asterisk as a wildcard in place of an extension or letters in a filename.
at this point, do I press the enter key? I don't think so, but maybe I do? or might there be a setting that needs to be changed? I'm not sure. I miss XP's file search facility <sigh>.

Mario

Dave, that's what I thought what would happen, but nothing is spoken as I type a filename.

searching for everything else works as expected. I suspect there's a setting somewhere that needs enabling,, but haven't got any idea where to look.

On 6/29/2015 11:23 AM, Dave Carlson via Jfw wrote:
[...]

Adrian, yes, that's my problem. I've got 1 computer with classic desktop and the other with something else, whatever JAWS changes it to when JAWS is first installed, if it does get changed.