Topics

Scanners.

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

When I get my new computer at the end of the year or beginning of next, I intend to get a printer with fax and scanning capability.

So, I'm wondering, as a totally blind user of JAWS, is there a special scanner I have to get for it to be accessible? Are some scanners out there more accessible than others?

What is Open Book? I have heard of it. Would I be limited to getting that or something like that?

Thanks.

"Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford.

Carolyn

Michal Nowicki <mnowicki4@...>

Carolyn,

I am by no means an expert on scanners, but whatever you get, you need to
understand that scanning requires both hardware (the scanner) and software
(a computer program that makes use of the scanner). OpenBook is not a
scanner. Instead, it is scanning and OCR software that works with many
scanners.

If I understand your post correctly, you are considering purchasing an
all-in-one printer, fax, and scanner. While such products work great for
sighted individuals, I'm not sure how many of them, if any, can be operated
nonvisually. For example, I know that some all-in-one devices have an
inaccessible touch screen, and it is not possible to control them from a
computer. That said, it may be better for you to buy two or three pieces of
equipment if, of course, you can afford it. I also recommend scanners with
an automatic feeder.

I hope this helps, and I'm sorry I cannot provide specific advice (e.g.
with regards to device models).

Michal

When I get my new computer at the end of the year or beginning of next, I
intend to get a printer with fax and scanning capability.

So, I'm wondering, as a totally blind user of JAWS, is there a special
scanner I have to get for it to be accessible? Are some scanners out there
more accessible than others?

What is Open Book? I have heard of it. Would I be limited to getting that or
something like that?

Thanks.

"Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford.

Carolyn

Russell Solowoniuk

Hi,

If you are going with OpenBook, you might want to consider the Pearl. It’s a camera on a stand, and in conjunction with OpenBook, works really well. It takes a picture of the page and sends it to OpenBook for the OCR. Within seconds of taking the picture you will hear the page being read to you. I’m not sure what it sells for now… when I bought mine 5 years ago the Pearl camera was $650… I already owned OpenBook. I think FS has a combo price if you buy both together, but it’s still quite expensive.

HTH

Russell

On Jun 25, 2015, at 2:18 PM, Michal Nowicki via Jfw <jfw@...> wrote:

[...]

Daniel McBride

Carolyn:

I have Open Book with the Pearl Camera Scanner. I rarely use it due to its
limitations. I recently purchased an HP Office Jet Pro 8620
printer/copier/scanner and Adobe Pro X software to be able to edit and read
the scans. This works much better than the Open Book & Pearl Camera.

Mitchell is correct about my need to have a sighted person assist me with
the scanning, but I simply accept that as part of life.

My HP unit was $279, on sale, at Best Buy, and the Adobe Pro X will run
about $450. However, when I obtained the Open Book & Pearl system 3 years
ago, it was near $1000. I have no idea what it would cost today, but I
prefer the flat bed HP scanner with Adobe Pro X. I, too, will be getting a
new PC soon and I do not intend to download my Open Book & Pearl system on
my new PC. That's just me. Others might disagree.

Daniel

When I get my new computer at the end of the year or beginning of next, I
intend to get a printer with fax and scanning capability.

So, I'm wondering, as a totally blind user of JAWS, is there a special
scanner I have to get for it to be accessible? Are some scanners out there
more accessible than others?

What is Open Book? I have heard of it. Would I be limited to getting that or
something like that?

Thanks.

"Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford.

Carolyn

Marshall Scott

Hi Carolyn,
I purchased an all-in-one printer last year and found out a couple of things. The first is that in order to place a document on the scanner bed;I had to put the scanner directly in front of me on my desk. This took up a lot of useful space. I also found that placing a document on the scanner while sitting down required stretching uncomfortably.
Also, if you don't do a lot of printing and don't need color printing. I'd get a laser printer. While the cartridge is more expensive than one for an inkjet printer, it lasts longer
Marshall

On Jun 25, 2015, at 1:49 PM, Carolyn Arnold via Jfw <jfw@...> wrote:

When I get my new computer at the end of the year or beginning of next, I intend to get a printer with fax and scanning capability.

So, I'm wondering, as a totally blind user of JAWS, is there a special scanner I have to get for it to be accessible? Are some scanners out there more accessible than others?

What is Open Book? I have heard of it. Would I be limited to getting that or something like that?

Thanks.

"Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford.

Carolyn

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

Mitchell and others, That does get me started.

So, if I get a scanner, what does that involve? Is there hardware that is involved there? I am not that savvy about operating systems and the like, just, if it works and I can do it, I use it or learn it.

"Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford.

Carolyn

When I get my new computer at the end of the year or beginning of next, I
intend to get a printer with fax and scanning capability.

So, I'm wondering, as a totally blind user of JAWS, is there a special
scanner I have to get for it to be accessible? Are some scanners out there
more accessible than others?

What is Open Book? I have heard of it. Would I be limited to getting that or
something like that?

Thanks.

"Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford.

Carolyn

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

OK - another wrung on this ladder to educate me.
With Pearl, could we scan photographs on it too?

Thanks.

"Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford.

Carolyn

When I get my new computer at the end of the year or beginning of next, I
intend to get a printer with fax and scanning capability.

So, I'm wondering, as a totally blind user of JAWS, is there a special
scanner I have to get for it to be accessible? Are some scanners out there
more accessible than others?

What is Open Book? I have heard of it. Would I be limited to getting that or
something like that?

Thanks.

"Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford.

Carolyn

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

Interesting. So this system will read material that you feed to the scanner? If it does, then, at a little less than half price, when there is a sighted person here all the time . . . ?

I will save your information as well as the information about Open Book and Pearl. However, I tended to lean toward something like you're talking about. Just a little uncertain here.

"Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford.

Carolyn

When I get my new computer at the end of the year or beginning of next, I
intend to get a printer with fax and scanning capability.

So, I'm wondering, as a totally blind user of JAWS, is there a special
scanner I have to get for it to be accessible? Are some scanners out there
more accessible than others?

What is Open Book? I have heard of it. Would I be limited to getting that or
something like that?

Thanks.

"Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford.

Carolyn

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

Now, there is a point worth consideration. Will this scanner scan pictures into the computer?

I am making a scanner file and compiling all of these greatly appreciated responses to my question.

[...]

Space for a flatbed scanner is always a consideration. I do not share
Marshall's problem because I have a very nice computer desk with a cabinet
in the lower right area of the desk that nicely accommodates my
printer/scanner and sits on a sliding pad. When I need to print, copy or
scan, I simply open the cabinet door, slide the printer out and perform the
necessary task. When completed, it easily slides back into the cabinet.

I am not 100% sure about scanning photographs, but my sighted wife believes
the HP 3820 does scan photos.

Daniel

<jfw@...> wrote:

When I get my new computer at the end of the year or beginning of next, I
intend to get a printer with fax and scanning capability.

So, I'm wondering, as a totally blind user of JAWS, is there a special
scanner I have to get for it to be accessible? Are some scanners out
there more accessible than others?

What is Open Book? I have heard of it. Would I be limited to getting that
or something like that?

Thanks.

"Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right." Henry
Ford.

Carolyn

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

I have a goot place on a table or on the desk, which would place it between my computer and my husband's - the more likely place. Thanks.

<jfw@...> wrote:

When I get my new computer at the end of the year or beginning of next, I
intend to get a printer with fax and scanning capability.

So, I'm wondering, as a totally blind user of JAWS, is there a special
scanner I have to get for it to be accessible? Are some scanners out
there more accessible than others?

What is Open Book? I have heard of it. Would I be limited to getting that
or something like that?

Thanks.

"Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right." Henry
Ford.

Carolyn

Adrian Spratt

I think there are several loose ends here, and I'll leave one or two dangling, but here goes:

Scanning involves both hardware and software. The hardware is typically a flatbed device that takes up a lot of room. I use the Hovercam, which has a tiny footprint and can easily be moved out of the way. It consists of a small base, a tallish stand, and a piece you pull out from the stand and raise above the desk surface. When purchased from IRTI, an adaptive products company in California, it comes with a mat that you unfold and lay out when you're ready to scan. The mat has raised lines that show you where to position the Hovercam and where to place the paper.

OCR (optical character recognition) software converts images on paper to digital text. You can obtain OCR software from a variety of places. IRTI has its own software, and its tech support staff will take you by phone, at no extra cost and no matter how much time it takes, through the setup process and associate the software with the Hovercam. The software you mention is FS's OpenBook. There are others.

The software you'd need to copy photographs, etc., is different. One example is Photoshop, which I believe is owned by Adobe. But this software is not OCR software. I don't know if both can be run on the same system, but I imagine they can. It just gets more expensive.

Going back to the Hovercam, although it can't do automatic feeding, you can pile a stack of pages neatly on the mat, scan the top page, remove that page, scan the next, and so on. The photographing of each page is done in literally a moment (a second or less). When you finish photographing the stack, you press a single key to start the recognition process, where the OCR software takes over and converts the pictures into text. This takes longer than scanning, but it's still fast.

As I finish, I realize I'm promoting IRTI's combination of software and the Hovercam, which I don't really mean to. For anyone needing to conserve space, the combination is ideal and IRTI makes the process simple. Obviously, other options also work. In fact, you have lots of choices, and they aren't all dependent on adaptive product suppliers. But by explaining my experience, I hope I get across the concepts involved.

One last point. There is no need of sighted assistance in the OCR process. I do it all the time on my own. Even the setup process can be done without sighted assistance, but at least for me, the help I got at that stage save me a lot of time.

When I get my new computer at the end of the year or beginning of next, I
intend to get a printer with fax and scanning capability.

So, I'm wondering, as a totally blind user of JAWS, is there a special
scanner I have to get for it to be accessible? Are some scanners out there
more accessible than others?

What is Open Book? I have heard of it. Would I be limited to getting that
or
something like that?

Thanks.

"Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right." Henry
Ford.

Carolyn

Michal Nowicki <mnowicki4@...>

The scanner (and any accessories) is the hardware.

When I get my new computer at the end of the year or beginning of next, I
intend to get a printer with fax and scanning capability.

So, I'm wondering, as a totally blind user of JAWS, is there a special
scanner I have to get for it to be accessible? Are some scanners out there
more accessible than others?

What is Open Book? I have heard of it. Would I be limited to getting that
or
something like that?

Thanks.

"Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right." Henry
Ford.

Carolyn

Russell Solowoniuk

I’m not sure about scanning pictures with the Pearl. Dan is right… the Pearl and OpenBook do have limitations… it all depends on what you wish to do. For me, I mostly use my iMac with a Canon MG6200 printer/scanner combo and it works very well. But, when I have a lot of mail to scan, I’ll fire up my laptop running Windows 8.1 and use my Pearl and Openbook to scan the mail because it’s so fast.

I’ve had good success with inexpensive flatbed scanners on my Windows machine, for example, a Canon, can’t recall the model, that I paid $80 for. I used OmniPage Pro to do the OCR.

So there are many choices, and, if you need to scan pictures and print then a 3-in-1 combo may be what you need.

Thanks,

Russell

----- Original Message ----- From: "Russell Solowoniuk via Jfw" <jfw@...>

When I get my new computer at the end of the year or beginning of next, I
intend to get a printer with fax and scanning capability.

So, I'm wondering, as a totally blind user of JAWS, is there a special
scanner I have to get for it to be accessible? Are some scanners out there
more accessible than others?

What is Open Book? I have heard of it. Would I be limited to getting that or
something like that?

Thanks.

"Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford.

Carolyn

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

Very helpful and explains more. Thanks. I'll add this to my file.

"Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford.

Carolyn

When I get my new computer at the end of the year or beginning of next, I
intend to get a printer with fax and scanning capability.

So, I'm wondering, as a totally blind user of JAWS, is there a special
scanner I have to get for it to be accessible? Are some scanners out there
more accessible than others?

What is Open Book? I have heard of it. Would I be limited to getting that
or
something like that?

Thanks.

"Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right." Henry
Ford.

Carolyn

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

I would need to scan to the computer for sending; printing them would not be as much of a priority.

"Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford.

Carolyn

When I get my new computer at the end of the year or beginning of next, I
intend to get a printer with fax and scanning capability.

So, I'm wondering, as a totally blind user of JAWS, is there a special
scanner I have to get for it to be accessible? Are some scanners out there
more accessible than others?

What is Open Book? I have heard of it. Would I be limited to getting that or
something like that?

Thanks.

"Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford.

Carolyn

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

Pictures into the computer would be nice for my husband. My primary need would be like to scan the little directory of our church or my brokerage account reports, which are several pages.

"Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford.

Carolyn

When I get my new computer at the end of the year or beginning of next, I
intend to get a printer with fax and scanning capability.

So, I'm wondering, as a totally blind user of JAWS, is there a special
scanner I have to get for it to be accessible? Are some scanners out there
more accessible than others?

What is Open Book? I have heard of it. Would I be limited to getting that or
something like that?

Thanks.

"Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford.

Carolyn

Dave...

I seriously doubt that the Pearl camera will work with any software except
Openbook. FS is not releasing the drivers to use with any other products.

Dave Carlson
Oregonian, woodworker, Engineer, Musician, and pioneer

When I get my new computer at the end of the year or beginning of next,
intend to get a printer with fax and scanning capability.

So, I'm wondering, as a totally blind user of JAWS, is there a special
scanner I have to get for it to be accessible? Are some scanners out
there
more accessible than others?

What is Open Book? I have heard of it. Would I be limited to getting
that or
something like that?

Thanks.

"Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right." Henry
Ford.

Carolyn

Brad Martin

Carolyn,

You may recall that I asked a similar question a few months ago. I was looking at Brother printer/scanner/copier/fax machines, and I wondered how accessible the software would be for me. I use JAWS 15 and Windows 7 Pro.

Let me say that I didn't need color, so I bought a brother laser printer/all in one. I love it. My main concern when I posed my original question was whether or not JAWS worked with Brother's Control Center 4 software. It does, and from it I can scan and copy, and I can configure the printer myself without sighted assistance. I did have help getting the computer on my network from someone who could program it the way I wanted it, because my computer couldn't read the printer's screen until it could see the printer, which meant getting the printer on my network. It also came with Paperport for scanning documents as text. I haven't scanned much, but I did have a sheet of paper sitting on my desk, and I had no idea what it was. Popped it in the scanner, ran it through, and found out it was an expired Outback coupon. It did make a couple of errors reading the characters--it thought a / was a 1 for instance. But I was pretty happy with it for my purposes, and the software worked with JAWS just fine.

Incidentally, I bought the Brother MFC-L2740DW. I chose it because it can read both sides of a document at once. So if I scan something blank side up, I'll still get the other side when it scans "the back." A good price for it from Amazon is around $189, although right now they're asking quite a bit more for it. It will probably come back down in a week or two.

I've never used specialized software like OpenBook, so I don't have any experience with them. What I have works for my purposes.

Hope that helps,
Brad

On 6/25/2015 2:49 PM, Carolyn Arnold via Jfw wrote:
When I get my new computer at the end of the year or beginning of next, I intend to get a printer with fax and scanning capability.

So, I'm wondering, as a totally blind user of JAWS, is there a special scanner I have to get for it to be accessible? Are some scanners out there more accessible than others?

What is Open Book? I have heard of it. Would I be limited to getting that or something like that?

Thanks.

"Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford.

Carolyn
Brad Martin
brad@... <mailto:brad@...>

Russell Solowoniuk

Hi Dave,

Yes, that’s one of the limitations I had in mind.

Cheers,

Russell