From: Jfw [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com] On Behalf Of Russell Solowoniuk via Jfw
Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2015 11:25 AM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Cc: Russell Solowoniuk
Subject: Jaws 16 issue with touch screen at login

Hi everyone,

I am running Jaws 16 on a Lenovo Yoga Pro2 laptop. It has a touch screen, which I hardly ever use. I am running into an issue when my laptop goes to sleep. It goes to the Windows lockscreen. In the past all I had to do was press the power button on my laptop and I would be taken to the Windows lock screen where I could simply tab to the password field, enter my password, and I’d be right where I left off when my laptop went to sleep.

Now, however, every time my laptop goes to sleep, when I press the power button nothing seems to happen. If I touch the screen though, Jaws is running and I can swipe to the various choices, i.e. password, shutdown, etc. but I cannot do anything. Double-tapping on the password field does nothing. Double-tapping on the shutdown button does nothing. And, nothing happens when I try to use the keyboard. It’s as if Jaws is in touch screen mode and the keyboard is not at all active. I called FS, and the guy there didn’t have a clue as to what to do. He suggested that I turn off the lock screen. I may do this, but at the moment I cannot get in to Windows at all. I press and hold the power button to turn off my laptop, but, when I turn it on, nothing happens… not evenwhen I touch the screen.

So, my question… is there a keystroke I may have accidentally pressed to put Jaws in some sort of touch screen mode?

Thanks for any and all ideas!

Russell

Andre Jarreau <andre.jarreau@...>

not sure if this will help. On a standard keyboard you can press insert- 1 on the number row above the keyboard. In this mode pressing any key will not activate the keystroke. JAWS will only announce what the key function is. Insert-1 is a toggle on and off. Perhaps your laptop keyboard has a similar insert-1 toggle and it is stuck. However it seems a power down and reboot would clear this command and boot up as usual. Though it could be worth checking out. Just a thought.

Andre

[...]

Ed Marquette <marquette.ed@...>

Russel:
This has happened to me a couple of times. My sighted wife happened to be with me both times. I do not have a fool-proof solution, but my description of what is happening on the screen has inspired a couple of ideas of my own and may stimulate ideas from the other very knowledgeable people on this list.
My wife said it was as though the cursor was not in the password box. By cursor, I'm pretty sure she means the mouse pointer. Like most sighted users, she doesn't know the difference between the mouse pointer and the cursor. Anyway, she maneuvers the mouse pointer (using the touch pad and not the screen) to the password box, clicks the mouse once, and then asks me to type in the password. That has solved the problem every time.
I could loan you my sighted wife, but there are probably other, less inconvenient solutions.
You might try turning on the JAWS cursor and navigating to the password box. When there, do a simulated single mouse click.
If that doesn't work, you might try actually turning on the touch cursor. That is shift plus JAWS key plus semicolon. That should make your touch gestures perform better, but it sounds like that is working anyway.
Probably the best solution is to experiment while a sighted person is present. I'll do that, and if you do too, perhaps we'll find a solution. I'll post my discovery, if I find one.
I've had my Yoga since the first day Windows 8 was released, and this has happened only twice, but it was frustrating, and without sighted assistance, it would have been maddening.

[...]

Kevin Hourigan <kevinthourigan@...>

Hello Ed,
What does your wife look like, lol.
I wonder if this is a similar issue with captcha challenges and web visum. I get the answer to the challenge from web visum, paste it in what I think is the correct edit field, and nothing.
Cheers Kevin.

[...]

Russell Solowoniuk

Hi Ed,

The trouble is for me when this happens I don’t have any speech. Well, not from the keyboard anyway… I have speech if I use the touchscreen, but, I tried swiping to the password field and double tapping on the screen, but nothing happens… I still cannot type in a password. It’s as if the keyboard is disabled. I tried turning on Narrator, and once in a while this works, but usually not.

Today I finally managed to get in somehow… not even sure how I did it. I then Googled to find out how to disable the Lock screen. I found an article that showed me how to do this by adding a key in the registry for LockScreen, and setting it’s value to 1, which disables it. So, all is well again!

Thanks for the offer of loaning me your wife! LOL!

Russell