Can't Enter Text Into Forms Mode Field

Tom Behler

Hello, everyone.

I'm still having issues typing characters into the edit box when on the
internet with my home Windows 7 PC.

I can arrow down or tab until I hear the forms mode sound, but when I type,
nothing gets entered into the edit box.

I had someone sighted check, and nothing gets entered onto the screen when I
do the typing in forms mode, even though the sound indicates I'm in forms
mode.

I find the issue both in Internet Explorer and in Firefox. And, I have
tried performing searches on several different web sites where info needs to
be entered into the search box.

Is there a Jaws or other setting I should check to troubleshoot the issue?

For the record, I'm using Jaws 14 on this particular computer.

Thank you!

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Tom. I don't know that this would solve your particular issue, but, sometimes, refreshing the page with the function key 5, F5, will bring up a search box where you can enter data.
Bill White billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

I'm still having issues typing characters into the edit box when on the
internet with my home Windows 7 PC.

I can arrow down or tab until I hear the forms mode sound, but when I type,
nothing gets entered into the edit box.

I had someone sighted check, and nothing gets entered onto the screen when I
do the typing in forms mode, even though the sound indicates I'm in forms
mode.

I find the issue both in Internet Explorer and in Firefox. And, I have
tried performing searches on several different web sites where info needs to
be entered into the search box.

Is there a Jaws or other setting I should check to troubleshoot the issue?

For the record, I'm using Jaws 14 on this particular computer.

Thank you!

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

---

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 11827 (20150622) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 11827 (20150622) __________

http://www.eset.com

judith bron

This might sound stupid but for the past year I hit the space bar instead of
the enter key to get forms mode. Good luck!

I'm still having issues typing characters into the edit box when on the
internet with my home Windows 7 PC.

I can arrow down or tab until I hear the forms mode sound, but when I type,
nothing gets entered into the edit box.

I had someone sighted check, and nothing gets entered onto the screen when I
do the typing in forms mode, even though the sound indicates I'm in forms
mode.

I find the issue both in Internet Explorer and in Firefox. And, I have
tried performing searches on several different web sites where info needs to
be entered into the search box.

Is there a Jaws or other setting I should check to troubleshoot the issue?

For the record, I'm using Jaws 14 on this particular computer.

Thank you!

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Tom Behler

Bill:

I tried this, but no joy.

I still get the higher click, which indicates to me that I'm in forms mode,
but I still can't enter text into a search or edit box.

Have tried this on google, and on several other search sites.

This is the case whether I tab or arrow down to the forms field.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

[...]

database 11827 (20150622) __________

http://www.eset.com

Russell Solowoniuk

Hi,

Once you’re in forms mode try tab away from and then back to the edit field… sometimes this will work.

Thanks,

Russell

On Jun 22, 2015, at 7:38 PM, Tom Behler via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:

[...]

Andre Jarreau <andre.jarreau@...>

Hey Tom,

Starting at the top of the web page. I sometimes just hit the "e" key and
it takes me directly to an edit field. Then arrow up and down to open the
edit box. Repeat e key for multiple edit fields. Might be a long shot but
might work. Good luck.

Andre

[...]

I thought I had tried the space bar before, but just to be sure, I tried it
again. Still no luck.

Again, I get the higher click that indicates I'm in forms mode, but no text
gets entered when I type.

Hitting F5 to refresh the screen doesn't help either.

Dr. Tom Behler

[...]

No luck there either.

I'm wondering if my problem still relates to the Bing tool bar.

I thought I had it disabled, according to some instructions I had received, but I think I was wrong because Bing is still mentioned when I access the internet via Internet Explorer and Firefox.

I may try switching to another home page, just to see if that makes a difference.

Dr. Tom Behler

I'm still having issues typing characters into the edit box when on
the internet with my home Windows 7 PC.

I can arrow down or tab until I hear the forms mode sound, but when I
type, nothing gets entered into the edit box.

I had someone sighted check, and nothing gets entered onto the screen
when
do the typing in forms mode, even though the sound indicates I'm in
forms mode.

I find the issue both in Internet Explorer and in Firefox. And, I
have tried performing searches on several different web sites where
info needs to be entered into the search box.

Is there a Jaws or other setting I should check to troubleshoot the issue?

For the record, I'm using Jaws 14 on this particular computer.

Thank you!

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

---
scrubbed...
201506
22/4e13f16b/attachment.html>

signature database 11827 (20150622) __________

http://www.eset.com

signature database 11827 (20150622) __________

http://www.eset.com

---

Tom Behler

I'm sorry, Andre, but this did not work for me either.

Very strange and very frustrating.

This is a problem that I don't recall having, until relatively recently.

Dr. Tom Behler

[...]

Ann Byrne

Try unloading/reloading JAWS. sometimes if it has been running a while it has a brain cramp. Press insert-windows key-f4, and wait about fifteen seconds. JAWS will shut itself down, clear its head, and restart.

and maybe it won't help at all, but maybe it will.

Good luck!

At 09:02 PM 6/22/2015, you wrote:
[...]

Ann:

I tried closing, and then reloading Jaws, but again, no luck.

I'm sorry to be such a pain about this, and I want everyone to know your
suggestions are being tried and taken seriously.

I also tried another home page to see if anything would work, but apparently
not.

I may have to call Freedom Scientific on this one in the morning.

I am still wondering if my problem has something to do with that darn Bing
search tool bar which I thought I had disabled.

I don't have this problem at all on my work laptop which has Windows 7 and
Jaws 16.

Dr. Tom Behler

[...]

Hey Bill, would Bing show up in the task manager if it were being used on
Tom's machine? I think he is running J14. What about the task bar. Would
this show up as well? If these do appear then listers could better help
with suggestions.

[...]

Brad Martin

Here's something that used to work for me when I had JAWS 10.

When you get into forms mode, press Control A to select all. Of course, there isn't a thing to select, but do it anyway. Then press either the backspace or delete key. Again, you're deleting nothing. Then try to type.

Used to work for me back in the day.

Brad

On 6/22/2015 7:08 PM, Tom Behler via Jfw wrote:
[...]

Adrian Spratt

Okay, yet another suggestion. Bill White may have included this with his F5 idea, but if so, I missed it and that message is now deleted. On several websites I use regularly, I need to do the following:

Enter the text field in the way you already do, Tom.

Then refresh the screen with JAWS key+escape.

Type the text, then press the PC cursor to exit forms mode.

[...]

Hi, Tom. Have you checked in your Control Panel where you remove programs to see if the Bing Toolbar is listed in your installed programs?

If it is, I would remove it.
[...]

Andre:

Thanks for the great suggestion.

However, I just checked, and Bing does not show up in my task manager.

You are correct: I'm running Jaws 14 with Windows 7 on this 64 bit PC.

I'm going to call F S today to see what they suggest.

Could upgrade to Jaws 16 here if needed since I have that on my work laptop,
although I'm not sure it would fix the issue.

Will keep you posted.

Dr. Tom Behler

[...]

Adrian:

I tried your suggestion, but still no luck.

What is really strange is that when I type something into the text edit
field, it's clear that I'm in forms mode, but I can't doublecheck what I
have typed via the right and left arrow keys.

Visual assistance tells me that nothing appears on the screen.

Dr. Tom Behler

[...]

Sorry, Brad, but this did not work either.

Will see what FS has to say.

I do appreciate the suggestion, though.

Dr. Tom Behler

[...]

brad@formyfriends.org <mailto:brad@formyfriends.org> My Facebook page where
I post online shopping coupons and deals:

Tom Behler

Bill:

Yes, we have checked in add/remove programs, and bing is not listed there.

So, perhaps Bing is not the issue, unless there is some remnant of it in my computer somewhere.

I'm really stumped on this one.

Dr. Tom Behler