doing a jaws repair

Ryan Coverdell

I had malware on my computer and in the process of restoring Jaws it
no longer works right. I can tab from link to link using google chrome
but I cannot read using the arrow keys. On IE 11 I can do neither.
FREEDOM SCIENTIFIC said I need to do a repair of Jaws. I could not
stay and do it, but they said they were willing to assist. The next
time I would be able to call them is Thursday, June 2,5. I'd rather
not wait that long if I can help it. Is any one on this list competent
doing a Jaws repair and could walk me through it? If you are could you
contact me off list? If it's an easy enough process could you send me
instructions? If not, could you give me your phone number and the
times you are available? I'll be around most of today and on Monday,
Tuesday, and Wednesday evenings after 6 P.M. Mountain standard time.
I'd really like to get this fixed. Jaws 14, windows 7. I'm writing
this message on my Pac Mate Omni, which is now the only device I have
that reads web-based text pages. Happy Father's Day tomorrow,
Ryan Coverdell

Dave...

Ryan,

If you have a copy of your current original JAWS executable file, why not
just do an install of that version?

Dave Carlson
Oregonian, woodworker, Engineer, Musician, and pioneer

[...]

john.falter

Re: JAWS Repair David Whitehead 12/23/2013 9:33… xpc

The steps below are the best, most in depth, and most thorough way of
repairing Jaws according to Freedom Scientific Tech Support.
Note; jaws11 is the example, however, this will work for 12 13 14 15.
1. Place a copy of the Jaws executible version that you want to repair into
the main root of the " C " drive. For example; If you are running Jaws11
most recent you would paste a copy of " J11.0.1430-32bit.exe " into the main
root of the " C " drive. To open the main root of the " C " drive, go to
the desktop, press enter on My Computer, press enter on Local disk C, and
now you have the main root of the " C " drive open.
2. With the Jaws " .exe " pasted into the "C" drive, highlight the " .exe ",
and press F2 as if you were going to edit this line of text. now press
control + C to copy this Jaws executible, press escape to close the edit
field, and press Alt + F4 to close the C drive.
What you want to do is place just the title of the Jaws version into the
Windows Run Dialogue box and not the file. If you were to place the Jaws
executable into the Run box without copying as you did as per the
instructions above you would have pasted the whole file into the Run Box
instead of just the title.
3. Now that you have just the title copied to the clipboard, press Windows
key + R to open the Run Dialogue Box. Type, remember to type a capitalC ,"
C:\ " without the quotes or
spaces and press control + V to paste the Jaws title, press your end key to
take the cursor to the end of the title and type in the following " /type
repair" without the quotes but, with the spaces . Below is what your line
of text should look / read like.

C:\J15.0.5056ENU-64bit.exe /type repair

Read character by character to make sure you have put in the proper spaces,
Forward & back slashes and text. press the home key to go to the front of
the title and press enter to start the repair.

---

Tim Ford

Hi All,

Just to add my two cents worth, I would not bother with the repair option, just do a new installation. My purely anecdotal experience is that the repair never works, and Freedom Scientific ends up thereafter recommending doing a new clean install; this has happened to me probably 5 or 6 times over the years. Frankly, the new install goes more quickly than the repair option, so I wonder why they bother with the repair.

Tim Ford

[...]

Kramlinger, Keith G., M.D. <kramlinger.keith@...>

Can you do the reinstall directly over the onboard version? Thanks, Keith

[...]

Yes, you can do a "new" install without having to first remove the old version. If you are able, I recommend first removing the version with the bug in it, but sometimes the bug has the side effect of blocking the uninstall program.
Tim Ford