You need to update Skype. NOT!

Ed Marquette <marquette.ed@...>

I have never been a big fan of Skype, but the new features in
Skype, as advertised in an email message I received having a
subject line similar to the above, made it tempting.

So, I read further. Apparently, the old Skype will no longer be
supported.

Being one always willing to jump for the bleeding edge, I gave it
a try. In fairness, I didn't try to work with it for very long,
but this has to rank right up there with the most inaccessible
products I've seen on the market in the last decade. The thing
brings up a list of options that one can read, but none of them
works. Even worse, Skype hangs around and cannot be removed even
with Alt-F4. I almost entitled this message, "Is Skype really a
virus?" Fortunately, after going to the Control Panel, it was
fairly easy to get rid of the thing. Now, my computer is working
normally, but I really thought I had inadvertently introduced a
virus to my computer (Windows 8.1). I'm using JAWS 16.

So, except for those with some sight (probably quite a bit) and
those with psychological needs to inflict punishment upon
themselves, I would recommend to people that they bypass the
tempting advertisements in the Skype email message that is likely
to appear in your Inbox soon - if it has not appeared already.

Sent from my Yoga IdeaPad

I. Edward Marquette

Universal Phone: 408.692.5640

Mobile: 816.812.0088

Russell Solowoniuk

Gotta love Microsoft! :)

Russell

On Jun 20, 2015, at 3:40 AM, Ed Marquette via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:

[...]

Robin Frost <robinni71@...>

Hi,
My goodness all of this excitement. I'm running the latest build of the program with JFW 16 and though some things have changed all is going just fine. I was able to explore various options, send a chat message to someone and even see where to initiate a call should I have wished to do so and all of that even without being sure I'm running the latest Skype scripts from Doug.
Deep cleansing breaths and reasonable thought processes are a good thing.
Happy Saturday one and all.
Robin

[...]

I had the same issue with not being able to close Skype after installing. I’m running Windows 8.1 as well, and wonder if we inadvertently installed the Windows App version of Skype instead of the full desktop version? I’m not to clear as to whether or not there are Windows Apps for all programs or not. Just a thought. I hardly use Skype, so not sure if it’s working or not… just installed the update because a window came up prompting me to update Skype, so I did.

HTH

Russell

-----Original Message----- From: Ed Marquette via Jfw
Sent: Saturday, June 20, 2015 5:40 AM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Cc: Ed Marquette

[...]

Marianne Denning

My job requires me to use Skype on a regular basis and I do nothave
any problems with it. I run the Skype scripts because it makes moving
quickly in Skype much easier.

On 6/20/15, Robin Frost via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:
[...]

Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053

Tom Behler

Marianne:

Where did you get the Skype scripts?

I have used Skype once or twice, but with sighted assistance, and want to be
able to do so independently.

I use Jaws 14 on my Windows 7 home computer, and Jaws 16 with Windows 7 on
my work laptop.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

[...]

scrubbed...

Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053

Marianne Denning

Tom, here is the link.
http://www.dlee.org/skype/

On 6/20/15, Tom Behler via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:
[...]

Stan Bobbitt

When I need to completely close skype I follow these steps:
1 open select a system tray icon with INSERT F11 and arrow down to skype
2 tab to right single click and hit spacebar
3 arrow down to quit and hit enter
4 you'll be asked if you're sure, tab down to quit and again hit enter

HTH
Stan B

Sent: Saturday, June 20, 2015 5:40 AM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Cc: Ed Marquette

[...]

Marsha <marcatony@...>

HI
If you want to close Skype, the easiest way is to go to the system tray. hit quit, then yes you are sure.

Marsha

Michal Nowicki <mnowicki4@...>

I close Skype from the Task Bar because Alt F4 doesn't work for me either.
Other then that, however, the program works well for me; I use JAWS 16 and
Windows 8.1. One setting I recommend changing, though, is unchecking the
"Skype Home" option in the view menu. If checked, this setting makes screen
reader navigation more difficult because parts of the Skype website appear
in the program.

If you want to close Skype, the easiest way is to go to the system tray.
hit quit, then yes you are sure.

Marsha

Michal Nowicki <mnowicki4@...>

Skype does have both a desktop and a metro app, but not all programs have versions optimized specifically for Windows 8 and above. If this were the case, we would be able to run JAWS on Windows RT.

Sent: Saturday, June 20, 2015 5:40 AM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Cc: Ed Marquette

[...]

Daniel McBride

I second Robin. I am having no problems with Skype. I also wish to
say that Microsoft is among the more user friendly corporations for the
blind that I have found.

I wish to suggest that the email you received was a sham email not generated
by Skype, but by a spammer.

Daniel

[...]

Melissa STOTT <mstott69@...>

I too use Skype, and have no problems. I also use the latest scripts for Skype.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 20, 2015, at 5:34 PM, Daniel McBride via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:

[...]

Maria Campbell

Agreed.

On 6/20/2015 5:34 PM, Daniel McBride via Jfw wrote:
[...]

Sunny Day
Maria Campbell
lucky1@ct.metrocast.net

Peter op t Hof

Daniel,

I had the same message and i have less problems with skype.
This is why.

I have the latest version of Jaws and a braille display.
If speech does not work, i can compensate with my fingers.
Also i use the scripts, but advertisementscreens are changing in every update, so it is a little puzzle tofind messageboxes and dialogs.

Greetings from the Netherlands.

Peter.

Op 20-6-2015 om 23:34 schreef Daniel McBride via Jfw:

[...]

Met vriendelijke groet, Peter op 't Hof Hof Vision VOF

Russell Solowoniuk

Hi Stan,

Thanks for this… I totally forgot about this. A few years ago Iused Skype quite a lot, and had to close Skype the way you describe… thanks for the reminder!

Russell

-----Original Message----- From: Russell Solowoniuk via Jfw