PlaceMarkers and JAWS

Ed Marquette <marquette.ed@...>

With so much good Internet advice flying around on this list
lately, I thought I would raise a question that has been bugging
me.

I use PlaceMarkers frequently, especially with Web applications
that I use all the time, including a document management Web App
that I access (keep loaded all the time) daily.

I'm wondering if there is a strategy to ensure that PlaceMarkers
always work. Frankly, the PlaceMarkers I have set tend to remain,
but the k key, which is supposed serially to jump from placeMarker
to PlaceMarker often skips PlaceMarkers that I know are there.
Sometimes, after JAWS has skipped over a PlaceMarker I can hit
shift K to go backwards, and sometimes JAWS will find the shy
PlaceMarker. Sometimes it does not.

Years ago, I had the same problem with WindowEyes, and have been
assuming that PlaceMarkers are just flakey and not terribly
reliable because of the peculiarities of the Net.

No one has told me that, and it occurred to me that I perhaps am
doing something wrong.

Here is what I do:

1. Press Control plus windows plus K

2. Choose Add PlaceMarker

3. accept the default name, link to text, use the default text
(if I know it is going to be constant), and choose domain only if
I know the element will always be on screen within the
application.

Linking to text seems like it ought to increase the reliability of
the PlaceMarker, but I do not think that is true. Is it possible
that the opposite is true?

I think I'm making the right choice in indicating when it should
be linked to the domain instead of the specific page, but perhaps
my thinking is backwards.

If everyone else has the same reliability issues, then I'll
continue with my thought that PlaceMarkers are just flakey.

Sent from my Yoga IdeaPad

I. Edward Marquette

Universal Phone: 408.692.5640

Mobile: 816.812.0088

Ann Byrne

the steps sound right to me. I do find, though, that if the cursor is below the placemarkers, it doesn't wrap to the top to find them. So if JAWS doesn't find the placemarker I hit control-home and try again. Shift-k would be faster, though.

At 04:00 AM 6/14/2015, you wrote:
[...]

Maria Campbell

Place markers are the greatest things since the wheel, to my thinking. I use them all the time and have no problems. I just anchor to text and leave the domain checked.

On 6/14/2015 5:00 AM, Ed Marquette via Jfw wrote:
[...]

Sunny Day
Maria Campbell
lucky1@ct.metrocast.net

david <davidwhitehead1957@...>

hello;
not sure of which version of jaws your using,
but, the keystroke for creating place markers, isn't ctrl+windows+k,
I'm using jaws 16,
the keystroke is ctrl+shift+k,
now tab to add,
also, alt+windows+k will announce the various place markers.

[...]

According to Surf's Up,Control-windows-k creates a temporary placemarker.

At 08:52 AM 6/14/2015, you wrote:
[...]

I didn't know how to review place markers, and I probably will forget it quickly but thanks for this key combo.

On 6/14/2015 9:52 AM, david via Jfw wrote:
[...]

Kevin Hourigan <kevinthourigan@...>

Is control, windows K, and control shift K the difference between permanent and temporary?

[...]

Adrian Spratt

Surf's Up may be out of date. I just went to the Internet and then into key identifier mode with insert-1. Nothing is verbalized when I press Win key-k, but when I press control-shift-k, JAWS says, "brings up the placemarkers list dialog." I use placemarkers extensively, and control-shift-k has set permanent placemarkers every time.

In my experience, placemarkers tend to be unreliable unless they're set at links. I don't know why, and nothing in the JAWS materials says this should be the case. I always anchor the placemarker to text, but sometimes setting it for the entire domain adds needless placemarkers on other pages within the domain.

I suspect the fewer placemarkers, the more reliable they are. Besides, it saves skipping past placemarkers I never or rarely use.

I'm using JAWS 16. I have a vague memory that the placemarker keystrokes changed several versions ago.

[...]

Yes, as confirmed in JAWS identifier mode.

[...]

Michal Nowicki <mnowicki4@...>

Hi Ed,

I don't know the reason(s) behind your use of placemarkers, but your
thinking regarding placemarker reliability may, in fact, be backwards. I
use placemarkers within Internet Explorer, primarily on web pages I visit
frequently, where it is difficult to find the main content. For example,
some news sites don't have "skip to content" links, mark the start of
articles with a heading or ARIA region, or offer the ability to press the
letter n to skip to the next non-link block of texts efficiently due to
multiple lists of links at the top of the page. Therefore, it can be useful
to create a "main content" placemarker on these sites to facilitate
navigation. In this situation, it is necessary to assign the placemarker to
the entire domain, but anchoring it to specific text defeats the purpose of
the placemarker, since the start of the main content likely contains
different text on each page within the website (e.g. article title). I
hope this helps.

Michal

[...]

This is a useful point about anchoring to text for certain webpages, but anchoring text is still advisable for other websites and situations. Remember, Ed refers to online documents. For myself, I find anchoring to text so useful in website navigation that I will set a placemarker at permanent text nearby instead of exactly on the spot I want if I know the text there will change.

[...]

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

How do you set a place marker?

GIFT (God is forever true),

Carolyn

[...]

Carolyn,

With the PC cursor at the location you wish to mark, press Ctrl Shift K to
bring up the placemarker dialogue box. From there pressing Enter should
activate the button to add a placemarker.

[...]

Control-shift-k. You land on a field where there will be a list of placemarkers if you already have any, which I assume you don't. Tab once to the "Add..." button and press spacebar. From there, tab through the options. Earlier posts today comment on some of these options, such as "anchor to text," "define for all pages domain," etc.

[...]

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

You can also do it directly with Ctrl-Windows-K; Alt-Windows-K will allow you to return to your place.

[...]

Well, the Control lasts as long as I need it, until the next reading or editing session, but that's great to know.

[...]

scrubbed...
01506
14/0f9d5642/attachment.html>

Michal Nowicki <mnowicki4@...>

Yes, but Ctrl Windows K creates a "temporary" placemarker.

[...]

I use them in Word documents, rather than the equivalent Insert function in Word. Defining temporary, they stay after you close the document, but are superseded by the next one, which makes them perfect for my purpose.

Ted