Topics

Internet Explorer Issue

Tom Behler

Hello, everyone.

As you may remember, I have been having major issues recently with my home
Windows 7 desktop PC becoming sluggish, and slowing down to the point that
it has basically become unusable with Jaws.

I originally thought the problem was with Outlook 2010, and, although I
think that still might be a significant part of the issue, another problem
has re-surfaced that actually may be more noteworthy.

The problem initially occurred several weeks ago, and I thought it had been
taken care of by our local computer repair shop in my town, but, alas, I was
wrong.

My problem is that I can be in the middle of an application, and little
audio clips appear, and start playing from out of nowhere.

The strange thing is that this happens when I'm not even in Internet
Explorer.

If I go into the Windows task manager, and look at programs running, a
version of IE is running even though I haven't opened it, and there are web
sites that periodically come up that I have never visited. One example
that I can remember is called miniclip, which I believe is a games web site.

My gut instinct suggests that this is a virus of some sort, but both I, and
the techs at our local computer shop, haven't been able to find it.

Today, an individual on the blind hams e-mail list of which I am a member
described this exact same problem, but has not come up with a definite
solution yet.

I'm thinking of totally uninstalling, and then re-installing Internet
Explorer to see if this fixes things, but am a bit hesitant to take this
step since all my internet cookies and other settings would be wiped out in
the process.

For the record, the computer in question is a 64-bit Windows 7 PC with
Internet Explorer 11 and Jaws 14.

Any thoughts or experiences from others on list with regard to this issue
would be appreciated.

Thanks for your patience as I try to sort things out here.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Michal Nowicki <mnowicki4@...>

Dear Dr. Behler,

Uninstalling and reinstalling Internet Explorer may not be a bad idea, but
if you really have caught a virus, I'm afraid that you may need to uninstall
and reinstall Windows. After all, the malicious file(s) could be stored
anywhere on your computer, and other programs may be impacted. Therefore,
if you can't get rid of the virus, consider reinstalling the entire
operating system. If you go that route, make sure to back up your important
files if you have not done so already.

Best,

Michal

[...]

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Tom. Here is what I found on Google. There is, indeed a miniclip virus. Go to the following link to read about it.

http://www.tweakmysystem.com/fixerror-exe/miniclip.exe.html

Bill White billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 11690 (20150526) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 11690 (20150526) __________

http://www.eset.com

Tom Behler

Michal:

This is not very encouraging, but I realize that it's what I ultimately may
have to do as a last resort.

I'll probably start with uninstalling and reinstalling IE first, and hope
for the best.

Dr. Tom Behler

[...]

Will do, Bill.

Hopefully, they'll tell me how to get rid of it.

Dr. Tom Behler

[...]

database 11690 (20150526) __________

http://www.eset.com

Ward Dudley

Yes and scan the files with antivirus before saving them or you could just reinstall it. My computer was recently very sluggish and Microsoft Disability found that my zoom had somehow been set to 360%.

Ward