Topics

Youtube issue.

Justin McDevitt <jusliz@...>

Hello listmembers:

I have been a longtime visitor to Youtube, listening to many songs and
watching interviews and videos compatible with many of my interests
including, music, literature and history. Through all this time though, I
didn't use any of the controls: (rewind, fast forward, Pause, Mute etc. I
wasn't sure if they were accessible with my older version of JAWS.

Now that I have JFW16, I want to use Youtube more effectively and access
these controls. A day or so ago, I opened up Youtube through Firefox and
turned off the Virtual Cursor. When I started tabbing around, none of the
above-mentioned controls were referenced: just the standard Youtube links.

Any help/direction is surely appreciated.

Best, Justin

paul lemm

Hi Justin,

There are some short cut keys you can use to do everything you mentioned.
Below are details of the shortcut keys from a post not so long back from
another user which is really helpful

There are keyboard shortcuts built into Youtube. If you turn off the virtual
cursor, meaning you can't then use first letter navigation keys, you can
then use the letters j k and l to rewind, play/pause, and fast forward. If
it's Jaws, the keystroke to turn off the virtual cursor is insert Z, and
again to turn it back on. However, if you're listening to a YouTube and all
you really want to do is pause and get up from your seat for a break, then
use the pass through key, which in Jaws is insert 3 on the number row. This
lets Jaws ignore the next key press, so you could just press K to pause the
video. Then when you're ready, use the pass through key again and type K to
resume playing.

I have been a longtime visitor to Youtube, listening to many songs and
watching interviews and videos compatible with many of my interests
including, music, literature and history. Through all this time though, I
didn't use any of the controls: (rewind, fast forward, Pause, Mute etc. I
wasn't sure if they were accessible with my older version of JAWS.

Now that I have JFW16, I want to use Youtube more effectively and access
these controls. A day or so ago, I opened up Youtube through Firefox and
turned off the Virtual Cursor. When I started tabbing around, none of the
above-mentioned controls were referenced: just the standard Youtube links.

Any help/direction is surely appreciated.

Best, Justin

Tim Ford

The j, k, and l keys are the rewind, play/pause, and fast forward. You simply use insert Z to turn off quick key navigation, and these three keys will work, no need to tab around. When you rewind or forward, you will need to press the k key to resume play. The navigation works great!

Tim Ford

I have been a longtime visitor to Youtube, listening to many songs and
watching interviews and videos compatible with many of my interests
including, music, literature and history. Through all this time though, I
didn't use any of the controls: (rewind, fast forward, Pause, Mute etc. I
wasn't sure if they were accessible with my older version of JAWS.

Now that I have JFW16, I want to use Youtube more effectively and access
these controls. A day or so ago, I opened up Youtube through Firefox and
turned off the Virtual Cursor. When I started tabbing around, none of the
above-mentioned controls were referenced: just the standard Youtube links.

Any help/direction is surely appreciated.

Best, Justin

Cristóbal

The insert+3 command also works if you just want to pause or skip forward or
back. Insert+z to turn the virtual cursor is probably better if you're doing
a bunc of skipping forward or back though.
I do find the page to be accessible enough and can access the slider for
volume and playback position along with the pause button without really
using the JKL keys

I have been a longtime visitor to Youtube, listening to many songs and
watching interviews and videos compatible with many of my interests
including, music, literature and history. Through all this time though, I
didn't use any of the controls: (rewind, fast forward, Pause, Mute etc. I
wasn't sure if they were accessible with my older version of JAWS.

Now that I have JFW16, I want to use Youtube more effectively and access
these controls. A day or so ago, I opened up Youtube through Firefox and
turned off the Virtual Cursor. When I started tabbing around, none of the
above-mentioned controls were referenced: just the standard Youtube links.

Any help/direction is surely appreciated.

Best, Justin

Danny wells

Is there a simple way to stop the advertisements in YouTube? I am using JFW
16 and IE 11. Thanks!

Danny

All these things my hand has made, and so all these things came to be,
declares the LORD. But this is the one to whom I will look: he who is humble
and contrite in spirit and trembles at my word. (Isaiah 66:2)

From: "Tim Ford via Jfw" <jfw@...>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 13:12:09 -0400
Size: 3996

Kramlinger, Keith G., M.D.

This is great info! I've been looking for this.

With Rewind or Forward, does a key press result in a defined amount of position jump one way or the other, or does it start a position move that needs to be ended with either a repress of the key, or pressing the K key? Does it announce how much the position is changing as it changes?

I'll be trying this as soon as I get home tonight.

Thanks, Keith

[...]

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

Another Youtube issue. On my system, I can hit Control R, and most of the time it will play a song on Youtube.

GIFT (God is forever true),

Carolyn

I have been a longtime visitor to Youtube, listening to many songs and
watching interviews and videos compatible with many of my interests
including, music, literature and history. Through all this time though, I
didn't use any of the controls: (rewind, fast forward, Pause, Mute etc. I
wasn't sure if they were accessible with my older version of JAWS.

Now that I have JFW16, I want to use Youtube more effectively and access
these controls. A day or so ago, I opened up Youtube through Firefox and
turned off the Virtual Cursor. When I started tabbing around, none of the
above-mentioned controls were referenced: just the standard Youtube links.

Any help/direction is surely appreciated.

Best, Justin

Cristóbal

Going off of memory, I believe that it skips 10 seconds.

I have been a longtime visitor to Youtube, listening to many songs and
watching interviews and videos compatible with many of my interests
including, music, literature and history. Through all this time though, I
didn't use any of the controls: (rewind, fast forward, Pause, Mute etc. I
wasn't sure if they were accessible with my older version of JAWS.

Now that I have JFW16, I want to use Youtube more effectively and access
these controls. A day or so ago, I opened up Youtube through Firefox and
turned off the Virtual Cursor. When I started tabbing around, none of the
above-mentioned controls were referenced: just the standard Youtube links.

Any help/direction is surely appreciated.

Best, Justin

Paul D. J. Jenkins <pdjj6123@...>

Good afternoon Danny,

After installing Mozilla Firefox, I added the Add Block Pluss plug-in.
Question, Maybe there is a skip-add button I know nothing about? That would
be lovely!

Good luck,

Paul Jenkins

From: "Tim Ford via Jfw" <jfw@...>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 13:12:09 -0400
Size: 3996

Bissett, Tom <tom.bissett@...>

I find that some times you are presented with a skip ad button just above the pause/play button but not always. There may be a pattern but I haven't figured it out.
Tom Bisset

From: "Tim Ford via Jfw" <jfw@...>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 13:12:09 -0400
Size: 3996

Michael Mote

I think it depends on the add that's playing. Some will not let you skip
them. I find this to be the case with the short ones.

From: "Tim Ford via Jfw" <jfw@...>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 13:12:09 -0400
Size: 3996

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

My husband says that we just have to put up with the ads. I guess Youtube and/or Google has to be paid by somebody - better commercials than me.

GIFT (God is forever true),

Carolyn

From: "Tim Ford via Jfw" <jfw@...>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 13:12:09 -0400
Size: 3996

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

Very sorry, I meant Control R will RE-play a song.

GIFT (God is forever true),

Carolyn

[...]

Tom Behler

What if you want to sskip more than 10 seconds?

Do you just hold the J or L key down for a longer period of time?

Dr. Tom Behler

Going off of memory, I believe that it skips 10 seconds.

I have been a longtime visitor to Youtube, listening to many songs and
watching interviews and videos compatible with many of my interests
including, music, literature and history. Through all this time though, I
didn't use any of the controls: (rewind, fast forward, Pause, Mute etc. I
wasn't sure if they were accessible with my older version of JAWS.

Now that I have JFW16, I want to use Youtube more effectively and access
these controls. A day or so ago, I opened up Youtube through Firefox and
turned off the Virtual Cursor. When I started tabbing around, none of the
above-mentioned controls were referenced: just the standard Youtube links.

Any help/direction is surely appreciated.

Best, Justin

Mr. Eyeball (AccessTelevision.tv Gmail)

If you are using version 16 you do not need to use your virtual cursor

http://www.freedomscientific.com/downloads/jaws/JAWSWhatsNew
A new setting, Allow Web Application Reserved Keystrokes, is available for
interactive web sites that offer hot keys to perform various tasks, but
conflict with JAWS keystrokes.

[...]

How do we find and apply this new setting? I've read through the link you provided, but I've never knowingly gone into Settings. Thanks.