Major Outlook 2010 problem

Tom Behler

Hello, everyone.

You may remember that, last week, I posted a quiry to the list regarding an
increasingly sluggish Windows 7 desktop computer with Jaws, to the point
that it became unusable.

I originally thought the problem related to some sort of a virus I had
gotten, since it seemed that something in internet explorer was constantly
running.

I think that might have been part of the problem, but after taking the
computer to a local computer repair shop, it seems that the biggest problem
is with Outlook 2010.

I am not sure how he found this out, but the computer repair person
indicated that my Outlook data file is unbelievably huge! It contains
something like 10 gigs of material, and is constantly running, and trying to
refresh itself.

I access both my work and personal g-mail accounts via Outlook 2010, and am
very good at deleting e-mails that are no longer of use to me.

I also periodically check my all mail folder in my personal g-mail account
to be sure that deleted e-mails are not showing up in there.

I guess my question is this: Should I totally un-install Outlook 2010, and
re-install it again? Or, is there some way I can correct this issue with my
currrent version of Outlook 2010?

My University currently uses Office 365, which I know contains a version of
Outlook, so I'm wondering if that might be another way to go.

The computer tech at my local computer repair shop advises me to forget
outlook, and just access my personal g-mail via the g-mail web site, but I
have not had the greatest luck navigating that web site with Jaws 14. I'm
not sure if such an approach would work with my work e-mail account either.

Any wisdom that can be shed on this issue would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Drew Hunthausen

Did the computer tech have suggestions on getting rid of much of that stored
data so there's not so much running? Just wondering if all the stored info
is needed by you, and if you could copy it on to some sort of external
memory. It seems like if you were charged at the computer store they should
help you with this as well. I've used the g-mail site before, and while it
works and is accessible, it is much more cumbersum with Jaws and takes way
longer in my opinion to get things done and read your mail. Hope you get
things figured out.
Drew

[...]

Drew:

No, he didn't have suggestions for getting rid of the huge stored data file,
and I think that is what is bogging things down.

Of course, my question is why the huge data file has to exist in the first
place, but that may be another question for another day.

I really don't want to have to go to accessing and managing my personal
e-mail via the g-mail web site if that can be avoided.

Dr. Tom Behler

[...]

Tom,
I think you should call the computer place that you took your computer and
ask the tech person you worked with about getting rid of the stored data or
storing it somewhere else. This isn't anything to do with assistive
technology and they should help you get your problem resolved. It could be
as easy as a setting that automatically deletes this stored data or keeps it
somewhere else as not to slow down your machine. I think the general
computer people would be able to help you out just as well especially since
they have already seen your comuter. Good luck

[...]

Adrian Spratt

Tom,

I have thousands, and probably tens of thousands, of email messages stored in over a hundred Outlook 2010 file folders reflecting many interests of mine. Despite this huge storage, Outlook does not slow down my system. I have to admit that I had a tech expert install Office 2010, so I can't tell you what, if any, settings he made to ensure this efficient operation, but he knows my practice of using email for reference purposes.

You might think of how to search for answers via Google. As Drew suggests, this doesn't sound like a JAWS problem. At the same time, it sounds fixable.

[...]

Barbara Hansen <the2skibears@...>

Hello Tom and all,

I too use Outlook 2010 and have noticed some sluggishness, but mainly, I
have more problem with it not responding. I'll be reading an email, or
typing an email, and it will just stop, as if it loses focus. I had not
(just stopped on me), noticed these issues until JAWS 16.

[...]

Kramlinger, Keith G., M.D.

Hi Tom,

You've probably already done these, but it wasn't clear to me from reading your message.

Have you cleared out your Sent Items folder, your Deleted Items folder, and possibly your Drafts folder of items you don't want or need??

Keith

[...]

Ann Byrne

Be sure that the journal item is not turned on. that one just grows and grows, with Outlook automatically making an entry every time you do anything.

At 10:41 AM 5/19/2015, you wrote:
[...]

They don't know how to do this, strange as it seems!

I have asked them twice!

The computer is now back with me, and I'm in touch with the IT people at my
University to see if they know how to help.

Dr. Tom Behler

[...]

Adrian:

I now have the computer in my possession, and am checking with my
University's I T department.

We use Outlook 2010 within MS365 at the University, so hopefully they can
help.

Needless to say, my confidence in our local computer shop here in town is
about down to 0 at this point.

Dr. Tom Behler

[...]

Well, in this case, I'm going to definitely hold off from installing Jaws 16
on the Windows 7 PC in question here.

I have Jaws 14 on there at the current time, butg will solve the Outlook
problem before confusing things more.

Dr. Tom Behler

[...]

Keith:

I've cleared out my deleted items folder, and there's nothing in my drafts
folder.

I cleared out my sent folder a few months ago, and can't imagine there are
10 gigs worth of messages in there.

Just couldn't write that many if I tried 24/7.

Anyway, I'm trying to be a little humorous here, so please take this as my
attempt at humor in the midst of a very frustrating situation.

Dr. Tom Behler

[...]

Ann:

How exactly do you turn the journal item off?

I'll give it a try once I know the steps to disable it.

Tom Behler

At 10:41 AM 5/19/2015, you wrote:
[...]

JAWS 16 handles Outlook 2010 fine here. It can always be left dormant and you can return to using 14.

[...]

Found this from a Google search. Hope it helps. Might depend on which Windows version you're using.

A. The Journal function in Outlook can be used to track document changes and openings, mail actions, meetings and task management however it can take up a large amount of space if not archived regularly.

If you don't want the features of the Journal it can be disabled as follows:
1.Start Outlook
2.Select Options from the Tools menu
3.Select the Preferences tab and click 'Journal Options'
4.Unselect all boxes and click OK
Click here to view image
5.Click OK to the main dialog

No records will be written to the journal now.

If you want to delete all current Journal information select the Journal branch, right click on each entry type, for example Microsoft Word, and select Delete from the context menu.

This is also possible by directly editing the registry:
1.Start the registry editor (regedit.exe)
2.Move to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Outlook\Options\Journal
3.Double click EnableJournal and change from 1 to 0
4.Click OK

At 10:41 AM 5/19/2015, you wrote:
[...]

scrubbed...
0150
519/ecfcd91f/attachment.html>

Kramlinger, Keith G., M.D.

Tom,

I'm guessing the info I sent earlier may not be for Outlook 2010. Sorry about that.

I found this info specifically for Outlook 2010. It tells one how to enable Journal, but I would think following these steps may give you the Disable option, too.

You can have Outlook 2010 create automatic journal entries for a wide range of items, including email messages (both sent and received), task requests, and files that you create or open in other Office system applications. In fact, you can use automatic journaling to record activities based on any contact, Office system document, or Outlook 2010 item that you select.
For example, suppose that you routinely exchange important email messages with a business associate, and you want to track all exchanges for reference. Incoming messages from this associate arrive in your Inbox. You read them, reply to them, and then archive the incoming messages to another folder. Now, however, your associate's messages are stored in one folder and your replies are in another. (By default, replies are stored in the Outlook 2010 Sent Items folder.) Configuring the journal to track all your email exchanges with your associate automatically places a record of all messages relating to this contact (both received and sent) in one convenient location. Instead of hunting for your response to your associate's question from two weeks ago, you can open the journal and find the entry associated with the message. Double-click the link embedded in the journal entry, and Outlook 2010 takes you to the message containing your response.

Enabling the Journal

To enable the Journal look at your Mailbox Folders list and select Journal.

Figure 1: Journal on Navigation Pane

You will receive the following prompt; click Yes to enable the Journal.

Figure 2: Prompt to turn Journal on

Once you enable Journaling you will be presented with the Journal Options.
Here you are given all possible variables that can be set for the Journal.

Figure 3: Journal options

For our example we will track all file usage in Microsoft Excel.

Figure 4: identify Journal tracking options

At 10:41 AM 5/19/2015, you wrote:
[...]

Interesting, outlook is a mainstream program!! I'm sure you'll be able to
get help at the University.
Since it seems like it's not directly Jaws related if you don't get help
from the AT people I'm sure some of the students could help you out!!!!

[...]

Harry Spencer <spencer-h@...>

This worked to make sure journaling was off on my Windows 7, Outlook 2010,
JAWS 15 machine:

Open Outlook, hit Control Y, hit the letter J until you get to Journal, hit
return and the message popped up to turn Journal on or off. In my case,
neither button was selected so I checked no (of course).

Thanks for the discussion, everyone. I may have prevented a potential
problem. Good luck, Tom. Harry

At 10:41 AM 5/19/2015, you wrote:
[...]

Good point, Adrian.

I have an SMA that covers up through Jaws 18, and am planning to install
Jaws 16 on the PC someday soon.

It's just that this Outlook problem crept up on me within the past week on
the main home computer, and I guess I'd like to get a handle on it before
adding additional potential complications.

Fortunately, for me, I have my work laptop here with Windows 7, Outlook
2010, and Jaws 16.

If I didn't have the work laptop, I'd be S O L here, as they say.

Dr. Tom Behler

[...]

Do you, or anyone else on the list know if deleting the data in the journal
will cause the corresponding items in other Outlook folders to be deleted as
well?

In other words, if I delete the journal items, will messages in folders such
as my sent folder, inbox, and saved folders be deleted too, or are the
functions totally independent?

If I'm not clear on my question here, please let me know, and thanks to
everyone for all the attention you are giving my issue.

It is very much appreciated.

Dr. Tom Behler