Problem highlighting and copying web addresses

Tom Behler

Hello, everyone.

This quiry relates to the recent thread on reading web addresses, but I
think my issue is different than what has been encountered thus far.

Basically, my problem is this:

When I am on a particular web site, I can initially access the URL web
address using either alt D or f6, but as soon as I start working with my
arrow keys to make sure I have focus on the address, or to actually copy the
address onto my clipboard, the address literally disappears.

At first, I thought this was a Jaws issue, in that the address is still on
the screen and simply is not being recognized by Jaws. However, I had my
sighted wife check, and she said that the address disappears from the screen
as well whenever I start working with my arrow keys.

I can gget a listing of other web addresses on the screen, but the one I
originally wanted seems to be gone.

Has anyone encountered this issue, and if so, how did you work around it?

I have found the problem with both Internet Explorer and Firefox.

I'm using Jaws 16 with Windows 7, IE 9, and Firefox 38 on this particular
computer.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Marianne Denning

If I want to get the web address to put into another email I use cntrl
d and the address that is right there is the current address. I cntrl
c to copy it. I guess you could paste it anywhere you like at that
point. If I don't want to leave the current address I hit enter and I
am right back on the page.

On 5/17/15, Tom Behler via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:
[...]

Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053

Michal Nowicki <mnowicki4@...>

Did you mean Alt d? In IE, Ctrl D brings up the add to favorites dialog
box.

[...]

Adrian Spratt

Tom,

Yes, alt-d takes you to the page's address. However, don't use your arrow keys. To copy it, the very next command after alt-d must be control-c. Think of it this way. Alt-d brings the address into focus, so it's sitting there ready to be copied.

[...]

Are you sure it's not alt D?

Dr. Tom Behler

[...]

scrubbed...

Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053

Tom Behler

Ok, Adrian.

This must be my mistake then, because as soon as I started using my arrow
keys to double-check things, the URL address went away.

It doesn't seem to me like this should happen, but at least now I know how
to work around the issue.

Thanks very much.

Dr. Tom Behler

[...]

Brad Martin

Tom,

This behavior actually makes sense if you understand what's visually happening. Let me help.

1. When you press control L, Alt D, or F6, your cursor moves to the address bar, and the address is highlighted. So pressing Control C will copy that which is highlighted, in this case the address in question.

2. If you press the up or down arrow, you instead trigger a listing of recently visited addresses to start appearing, and at that point, you're selecting different addresses from your past history to replace the current address. That's why your current address disappears and is replaced by one of the others.

So when you thought you were double checking things, you were actually asking to change the current address to another recently visited website from your recent past history.

Does that clarify things?

Brad