Track changes in Word 2007/2013

Russell Solowoniuk

Hi everyone,

What is the most efficient way to use track changes in MS Word 2013 or
2007 using Jaws 16? It seems a little tedious to bring up a list of
revisions with shift + Insert + R and then work through all the listed
insertions and deletions one by one, especially in a long document. Is
there a way to accept or reject a change and then jump directly to the
next revision and so on without having to bring up the list again?

Any suggestions for using track changes more efficiently would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.

Russell

--
Russell Solowoniuk
tel: 473-5819

Kimber Gardner

Track changes are, quite honestly, a pain in the butt with any version
of jaws. It can be done, but you will need patience and perseverance.

Now having said that, what I've done is place accept and reject
changes on the quick access toolbar so I can use control key
combinations to perform these functions. The whole operation is still
a bit clunky, and there are times when you will need to use your jaws
functions to list revisions and the like. But it can be done.

Kimber

On 5/12/15, Russell Solowoniuk via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:
Hi everyone,

What is the most efficient way to use track changes in MS Word 2013 or
2007 using Jaws 16? It seems a little tedious to bring up a list of
revisions with shift + Insert + R and then work through all the listed
insertions and deletions one by one, especially in a long document. Is
there a way to accept or reject a change and then jump directly to the
next revision and so on without having to bring up the list again?

Any suggestions for using track changes more efficiently would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.

Russell

--
Russell Solowoniuk
tel: 473-5819
e-mail: rsolowoniuk@gmail.com

Kimberly

Paul Martz <skewmatrix@...>

I cleared the quick access toolbar of its defaults, then added the following
commands:
- Previous change or comment.
- Next change or comment.
- Accept revision.
- Reject revision.
In that order, so you can execute them with alt+1, alt+2, alt+3, and alt+4
respectively.

I also customized the verbosity. INSERT+V to bring up JAWS settings in word,
search for "track changes" and crank up the verbosity. Then search for
"comments" and do the same. After this change, just arrowing to a modified
line will tell you number of revisions and comments. Arrowing into modified
or tagged text will tell you date of change, who the author was, etc. Very
useful.

I also use INSERT+V to change the verbosity of how JAWS reads punctuation.
When dealing with track changes, you really want this set to "all", in my
opinion.

Another way to jump around is to turn on quick nav keys with INSERT+Z. Then
"r" moves to next revision, and "n" moves to next comment. But, in my
experience, it's easy to forget that quick nav is off, and you end up
inserting a bunch of "r" and "n" characters all over the place. Beware.

Even if you can move to revisions, determining exactly what the change was
is rather a complex task. When JAWS tells you "paragraph style changed", for
example, you're left scratching your head as to exactly what was changed.
Okay, to be fair, a sighted user has the same problem.

I may have missed some things, but that's the bulk of how I do track
changes. And I just discussed this about a week ago in this very list, so
you might look back and check for posts in that thread. It might contain
info that I failed to mention in this message.

Best of luck to you with this.
-Paul

Russell Solowoniuk

Hi Paul,

Thanks so much! This is very helpful! I’ll check the archives as well!

Thanks again.

Russell

On May 13, 2015, at 5:10 PM, Paul Martz via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:

[...]

Hi Kimber,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions… very helpful. You and Paul suggest the same trick of using the Quick Access toolbar… a great idea.

Take care,

Russell

On May 13, 2015, at 1:26 PM, Kimber Gardner via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:

[...]

Ed Marquette <marquette.ed@...>

Russell:
I just reviewed Paul's very thorough tips on using track changes in Word. I think I was in that thread with Paul, and I cannot think of a thing he left out.
You should know that turning on the quick access keys with JAWS key plus z is pretty much useless in large documents. So, don't rely on that.
Also, don't rely on JAWS to give you the colors of the added and deleted text. In the end, that's not all that important because the colors depend on everyone's computer. So a deletion that is in red on your computer may be green on someone else's computer.
In the verbosity settings, turning on "count" is crucial. That way you'll know if there has been a change in a line if you are reading by line. This is not too reliable if you are jumping by paragraph. JAWS won't always tell you when an entire paragraph has been deleted if you are jumping through a document with control plus down arrow.
Paul is also right about sighted users having some of the same problems, especially in identifying who made what changes. JAWS will actually announce the names. Sighted users have to jump through way more hoops to figure out who made what change -- particularly when there have been 4 or 5 people editing a document.
Good luck.
Ps
As frustrating as JAWS is on track changes, the other screen readers either don't attempt to follow track changes or do so crudely.

[...]

Hi Ed,

Thanks so much! You saved me a lot of time combing through the archives.

You guys are great!

Russell

<jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:

[...]

Hi again,

I have one more question regarding track changes. When I arrow through
my document, and come to a line that has a comment, the Jaws voice
changes to Rocko when reading the comment. Is there a way to prevent
the Jaws voice from changing when it reads a comment?

Thanks,

Russell

<jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:

[...]

Michal Nowicki <mnowicki4@...>

There may be, but why do you want to do this? To me, it makes perfect sense that JAWS reads comments in a different voice, as it makes it easier to distinguish them from the body of the main text.

<jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:

[...]

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

If you really want to do it, go in and alter your profile's voice adjustments. I don't know how comments would be classified, though.

<jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:

[...]

Yes, that would be great if you could understand what the voice was saying. To me, all I need is to hear, “Comment” and then I know that the text being read is a comment. When the voice changes to Rocko, it speeds up and I cannot understand what it says.

Thanks,

Russell