a couple of easy questions

Barbara Hansen <the2skibears@...>

Hello everyone,

I know these questions have been addressed several times, but I can't seem
to locate my notes on how to get rid of messages saying "greater greater".

My other question is, how to bring up the HJ pad in windows 8.1. I know it
is buried somewhere, but do not remember how to locate it.

Thanks to all and "Happy Mother's Day" to all of the Mothers on this list.

Barbara Hansen

Tom Lange

Hi Barbara,
You wrote:

I know these questions have been addressed several times, but I can't seem
to locate my notes on how to get rid of messages saying "greater greater".
Probably the easiest way to get rid of the speaking of the greater-than sign is to set punctuation to some or none. Go into the JAWS Window and the Options menu. Go down to the Voices menu and into Voice Adjustment. Tab around the Voice Adjustment dialog and you'll find the Voice Punctuation combo box. Set it to whatever you want, then press Enter to close the dialog.

My other question is, how to bring up the HJ pad in windows 8.1. I know it
is buried somewhere, but do not remember how to locate it.

I just looked on my girlfriend's Toshiba laptop running Windows 8.1 and couldn't find HJ Pad either. I'm not sure why that is; maybe it's not supported on Windows 8.1 or just isn't included with JAWS 16. . In either case, you could use Wordpad and do everything that HJ pad would do and maybe more. From the Start screen, type wordpad and you'll find it.

Hope that helps.

Tom

Adrian Spratt

Barbara,

To clean up emails, I use a tiny application called Text Monkey. I was afraid it wouldn't work in Win7 because I believe it hasn't been updated, but it does. If you're interested but can't find it through Google, please post again or contact me and I'll hunt for the website where you can download it. It's Debbie's old website, but I can't think of her last name as I write.

I know these questions have been addressed several times, but I can't seem
to locate my notes on how to get rid of messages saying "greater greater".

My other question is, how to bring up the HJ pad in windows 8.1. I know it
is buried somewhere, but do not remember how to locate it.

Thanks to all and "Happy Mother's Day" to all of the Mothers on this list.

Barbara Hansen

Paul D. J. Jenkins <pdjj6123@...>

Good afternoon Barbara,

When I had a similar problem, I added an entry to the default dictionary
manager.
1. Press JAWS Modifier Key Plus F2.
2. Press the Letter D.
3. Press Control, Shift, D.
Note: If your computer asks you to save a new dictionary file name, pressing
escape will also take you into the default file.
4. Press your SpaceBar key on the "add" button.
5. Type the grater than symbol, ">" (typically shift, period)in the actual
word field.
6. After tabbing once, then type a space " "into the replacement word field.
7. Tab to the "OK" button and Press SpaceBar.
8. Press Alt, F4 to close the Dictionary Manager, and Alt, Y, (as in yes),
to save the changes.
I hope this helps.

Enjoy your weekend,

Paul Jenkins

[...]

Michal Nowicki <mnowicki4@...>

Instead of adding this entry to the default dictionary, I recommend adding
it to the application specific dictionary(s) for the program(s) you use to
access your e-mail. That way, JAWS will still report the greater than sign
in other contexts, such as math content in Word and web browsers.

[...]

Can't you download HJ Pad from the Internet?

[...]

This is true. You are quite correct. Thank God for that combo box!

[...]

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

You shouldn't need to download HJPad from the Internet if you're running JAWS. You should find an entry called "run HJPad" in the start menu under the JAWS submenu of the version of JAWS which you are currently running.
Bill White billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 11602 (20150509) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 11602 (20150509) __________

http://www.eset.com

judith bron

The late Debby Scales had the jaws website.

I know these questions have been addressed several times, but I can't seem
to locate my notes on how to get rid of messages saying "greater greater".

My other question is, how to bring up the HJ pad in windows 8.1. I know it
is buried somewhere, but do not remember how to locate it.

Thanks to all and "Happy Mother's Day" to all of the Mothers on this list.

Barbara Hansen

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi again Michal. I neglected to say that the exact entry for "run HJPad" is under the start menu, under programs or all programs, then under the submenu of JAWS XX where XX is the version of JAWS which you are currently running.
[...]

Hi Bill and All,

I can't try the method you suggested because my computer is running Windows
8.1; consequently, I have the start screen in place of the start menu. I
did, however, search for HJPad from the start screen but got no results. I
also tried to open it from the "Run" dialog box, but that didn't work
either. It therefore looks like I don't have HJPad installed on my machine.
Any ideas as to what could have happened? Is it possible that the program
is not compatible with Windows 8. Does it come standard with every version
of JAWS? Does it matter whether I have a home or professional JAWS 16
license? Although I am not concerned because I have Word, it would still be
nice to find out what's going on.

Best,

Michal

[...]

database 11602 (20150509) __________

http://www.eset.com

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Michal. I don't use Windows8, but whether you use Windows8 or Windows7, you should still have a programs menu somewhere on your machine. In that programs menu, you should have the current version of JAWS which you are running. Under that program, you should find HJPad.

As far as I know, Michal, HJPad is standard with all versions of JAWS.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 11605 (20150510) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 11605 (20150510) __________

http://www.eset.com

Michael B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Michal,

Okay I don't run Windows8 but, give this a try. Try following this file
path:

C:\Program Files\Freedom Scientific\JAWS\16.0\HJPAD.EXE

When you get to the HJ Pad executable make a shortcut to your desktop then
you will always have easy access to it.
Take care.
Mike
This email was sent from my, iGoDodgersBarstool.

[...]

I just found some potentially troubling information that may be relevant to
the problem I'm having. Here's the link:
http://www.exedlldb.com/process-h/hjpad-exe.html. Any thoughts?

Bill White <mailto:billwhite92701@dslextreme.com>
[...]

<http://lists.the-jdh.com/pipermail/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com/attachments/201505
10/cdf6682e/attachment.html>
http://lists.the-jdh.com/pipermail/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com/attachments/2015051
0/cdf6682e/attachment.html>

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

I wouldn't give this link too much credence. As a matter of fact, some
antivirus programs actually see JAWS as a virus when it is not. If a program
is not catalogued in an antivirus's definition file, it is often marked as a
suspicious or malicious file.

What may be more troubling is that, depending upon which antivirus program
you use, it could quaranteen any suspicious files, and not allow them to
run. It can actually remove them from their proper folders and put them in
the quaranteened folder. This actually happened to someone on this list.

signature database 11606 (20150511) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 11606 (20150511) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 11606 (20150511) __________

http://www.eset.com

Michal Nowicki <mnowicki4@...>

Bill,

The second paragraph of your last response probably gets at the heart of my
issue. When I did a simple Google search for HJPad last night, an
overwhelming majority of the results linked to web pages identifying the
software as potentially malicious and offering tips on disabling it and
scanning the hard drive for registry errors and infected files. Thank you
for your help.

Michal

[...]

database 11606 (20150511) __________

http://www.eset.com

database 11606 (20150511) __________

http://www.eset.com

Barbara Hansen <the2skibears@...>

I haven't thought of this. Can try.
Barbara

[...]

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

I agree, but suggest making this change in your e-mail dictionary file, rather than across the board. In fact, I've used this approach successfully. Greater than and less than have some legitimate uses, so it might be good to have them spoken overall.

Ted