getting audio to play on default player

David Moore

I know exactly what Keith is talking about. Many times, I will get on
ESPN or many other sites, and the video or audio will begin playing.
It seems to be a player that is a part of the website itself. How do
you get this audio or video material to play in Windows Media Player,
for example. On ESPN and other sites, it just starts playing, and I
cannot control it at all. I can't play, pause, or anything like that.
What do you do about this to either be able to control what you are
hearing in that website or to be able to over-ride that and get it to
play on your default player on the computer? Thanks a lot. Thanks
Keith for bringing this up! I better say this LOL, I am using Windows
8.1, JAWS 16, and I am using an Asus laptop 64 bit lol!

Michal Nowicki <mnowicki4@...>

I have seen this too. Most of the time, unfortunately, the audio/video is a
flash movie, so I don't think you can actually open it in a separate window
with a media playback program on your computer. You may, however, be able
to interact with the web player by turning off the virtual cursor and
tabbing into the web player. At that point, you may be able to play/pause
the audio/video with the spacebar, as well as use the arrow keys to rewind,
fast forward, and adjust the volume. Good luck!

Michal

I know exactly what Keith is talking about. Many times, I will get on ESPN
or many other sites, and the video or audio will begin playing.
It seems to be a player that is a part of the website itself. How do you
get this audio or video material to play in Windows Media Player, for
example. On ESPN and other sites, it just starts playing, and I cannot
control it at all. I can't play, pause, or anything like that.
What do you do about this to either be able to control what you are hearing
in that website or to be able to over-ride that and get it to play on your
default player on the computer? Thanks a lot. Thanks Keith for bringing
this up! I better say this LOL, I am using Windows 8.1, JAWS 16, and I am
using an Asus laptop 64 bit lol!

Brad Martin

Generally these players are flash driven, or they use some other proprietary player designed to flash ads across your screen while you listen. Therefore, they really don't like it when you break the system and force the audio to play in your media player of choice. Having said that, if you view the source of the page and you know how to read it, sometimes you can figure out the URL of the audio that the player is calling, and you can ask your media player to call that audio. Sometimes I'm successful at this, and other times I'm totally not. It's all according to how the page was built.

Brad

On 5/8/2015 6:30 PM, David Moore via Jfw wrote:
I know exactly what Keith is talking about. Many times, I will get on
ESPN or many other sites, and the video or audio will begin playing.
It seems to be a player that is a part of the website itself. How do
you get this audio or video material to play in Windows Media Player,
for example. On ESPN and other sites, it just starts playing, and I
cannot control it at all. I can't play, pause, or anything like that.
What do you do about this to either be able to control what you are
hearing in that website or to be able to over-ride that and get it to
play on your default player on the computer? Thanks a lot. Thanks
Keith for bringing this up! I better say this LOL, I am using Windows
8.1, JAWS 16, and I am using an Asus laptop 64 bit lol!

Brad Martin

Kramlinger, Keith G., M.D.

Thanks. This is worth a try. How do I turn off the virtual cursor? Keith

[...]

JAWS key plus Z. Don't forget to press JAWS key plus Z to turn it back on
when you're done, as you won't otherwise be able to navigate the page.

Thanks. This is worth a try. How do I turn off the virtual cursor? Keith

I know exactly what Keith is talking about. Many times, I will get on ESPN
or many other sites, and the video or audio will begin playing.
It seems to be a player that is a part of the website itself. How do you
get this audio or video material to play in Windows Media Player, for
example. On ESPN and other sites, it just starts playing, and I cannot
control it at all. I can't play, pause, or anything like that.
What do you do about this to either be able to control what you are hearing
in that website or to be able to over-ride that and get it to play on your
default player on the computer? Thanks a lot. Thanks Keith for bringing
this up! I better say this LOL, I am using Windows 8.1, JAWS 16, and I am
using an Asus laptop 64 bit lol!

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Turn off the vertual cursor by the command: JAWS Key plus Z

If it is a YouTube video you can usually do it the following way.

Find either the percent slider on the web page, or find the mute button. Do not click the button. Once you find the button, press JAWS Key plus Z to turn off the vertual cursor. Once the cursor is off, use either the j key to rewind, or the l key to forward. Often you can also use the left and right arrows to accomplish the same thing. Also, up and down arrows raise and lower volume.

This usually doesn't work on other video services besides YouTube, however.
Bill White billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 11599 (20150508) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 11599 (20150508) __________

http://www.eset.com

Kramlinger, Keith G., M.D.

Thanks. This didn't seem to work, but it's been a very long day for me, so I'm going to pack it in for now and try this again tomorrow. Many thanks to all for your help.

The other thing I found out today is there is no Windows Media Player on this HP running Windows 7 64-bit. Only Quicktime Mediat Player and VLC Media Player. The VLC Media Player doesn't seem to be screenreader accessible. I tried downloading WMP but was told on the Microsoft site that, for some reason, WMP couldn't be installed on this computer. Hmmmmm. I think I have my work cut out for me.

Best to all, Keith

[...]

I haven't tried the j and l shortcuts, but using the arrow keys to rewind,
fast forward, and adjust the volume, as well as spacebar to toggle
play/pause, works for me on all of the video streaming sites I access
regularly. This includes not only flash-based content, but also videos that
use the Microsoft Silverlight plugin, where turning off the virtual cursor
is the only way to access the media player. That is because the web player
controls don't appear in the virtual buffer at all. Although I can't
confirm this, I strongly suspect that the keyboard shortcuts mentioned above
(perhaps with the exception of j and l) are Flash Player and Silverlight
shortcuts, not web page specific keystrokes.

[...]

database 11599 (20150508) __________

http://www.eset.com

Brad Martin

Not sure why you found VLC to be inaccessible. I love it! It plays almost anything. Perhaps this list of shortcut keys for VLC will help you:
https://wiki.videolan.org/Hotkeys_table/

Still that's weird that you don't have and can't have Windows Media Player. I have it, although if you have Windows 7 Starter, that could explain a lot.

Brad

On 5/8/2015 10:17 PM, Kramlinger, Keith G., M.D. via Jfw wrote:
[...]

Thanks. I'll try it.

I have Windows 7 Professional. Yes, it is strange. My earlier computer was Windows 7 64 bit, and wmp was on it and worked fine; the keyboard started malfunctioning in a way that couldn't be resolved so it had to go to the place where computers that don't work live. This new computer is a company computer, so maybe they did something. On this new machine, it didn't even have the correct driver of the touchpad, and I couldn't even turn the darn thing off until we figured out what the problem was and downloaded the correct driver for the touchpad.

When VLC cam up, I couldn't get anything to speak to me. I'll try again, though. It sounds promising.

Best, Keith

[...]

brad@formyfriends.org <mailto:brad@formyfriends.org> My Facebook page where I post online shopping coupons and deals:

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

VLC is quite accessible, but you have to know how to start it. Use either the Alt key or the right mouse button to bring up an elegant menu structure.

Ted

[...]

OMG! That ALT key makes all the difference. Many thanks. Keith

[...]

I took my first look at the brand new one last night, and still can't find the resume feature, a key reason for upgrading. If I can get my hands on a manual, it could really help.

Ted