Reading long documents - Two questions on voices

Ali Abdolrahmani

Rahule,
I use eloquence for normal screen reader use. But for reading long
documents, I try to get used to Expressive voices like Ava and
Samantha. But as I mentioned earlier, in long sentences and texts, the
pause length between words and terms are not well defined for me to be
able to get as much as I need. So it becomes frustrating after 30 or
40 minutes.

Also, thank you all other folks who gave me responses.

Ali

On 5/7/15, Rahul Bajaj via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:
Hi Ali:

Being a law student, I can totally identify with your concerns. While
I don't have any satisfactory responses, I guess one good remedy in
this case could be altering the 'say all' settings in such a way as to
ensure that JAWS pauses after whatever interval you deem fit. Also,
can you let me know what voice you are using to make it sound more
human? One problem which I sometimes face is that I am unable to
recollect what I have read after reading long chunks of text at one
go.

On 07/05/2015, Ali Abdolrahmani via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:
Hi,
I am a PhD student. I have to read many long papers and text books.
When I read technical papers, I have the following concerns and I
would like to know if any of members have suggestions or solutions:
1. I use sentence by sentence reading command of Jaws to be able to
capture as much as I read while reading. I pause between sentences and
sometimes take notes. My problem is when the cursor goes to the next
paragraph, I don't have any idea that the paragraph has changed.
Understanding the change in paragraph helps when you like to organize
your mind about the flow of concepts. Is there any solutions or
workarounds that we can receive an audio feedback when the cursor goes
to next paragraph?

2. Second, for long and complex technical papers, I use expressive
voices to sound to me more naturally and not make me tired. My problem
is that I need to slow down the speed of the voice to be able to
follow the complex structure of my papers. I wish I could change the
pause length between words and after punctuations instead of slowing
down the entire reading. Slowing down the entire reading makes me
tired after some while. Is there any high quality synthesizer
alternative voices that we can do this? I hope I could express what I
mean well enough for folks.

Regards
Ali

--
Best Regards
Ali Abdolrahmani

Best Regards
Ali Abdolrahmani

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

That would be perfect for note taking, rather like hitting the pause button on the recorder years ago.

The hybrid solution for me is to go paragraph by paragraph with control-down arrow. It usually enables me to absorb a manageable amount of information and keeps me relatively anchored. The JAWS cursor stays at the start of the paragraph, so finding a word or phrase can take a moment, but it's a minor inconvenience when reading long text.

With material I really need to understand and that I might need to take notes for I simply don't use say all. I will instead use line by navigation for that sort of reading. It is way slower than say all but I find that with say all the programs idea of cursor position gets separated from where jaws has read to so that if I interrupt speech I then have to work to find the spot that I was just listening to. With line by line navigation that simply isn't a problem.

[...]

Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Mario

I usually move by sentence instead of by line. this gives me a complete thought to ponder about in relation to previous sentences.

On 5/7/2015 12:34 PM, Soronel Haetir via Jfw wrote:
[...]

judith bron

I use control up or down arrow to read by paragraph on multi page documents.
Just having to divert your attention for the second it takes to use the
keystroke will help you stay crisp while focusing on your document. Judith

I'm sure someone has already mentioned this but I use the CTRL+UP or Down
Arrow to read by paragraph. P will read by paragraph if you are on a web
page.

[...]

Robert Logue

I was hoping to use Jaws Speech And Sounds Schemes to introduce sounds when crossing paragraphs. It is in the misc tab when you edit a scheme. However, I just tried and it doesn't work in Thunderbird, my email program. I'll try elsewhere later and see if I can make it work. I don't have MS word so can't try that one.

I wish we had a way with tts voices to adjust pauses between words, lines, sentences, and paragraphs and even page breaks. As well as use sounds to indicate them if desired. One of my old Dos screen readers could do this nicely and it was a joy to read with even though the speech synthesizer wasn't fantastic.

Bob

On 5/7/2015 10:04 AM, Ali Abdolrahmani via Jfw wrote:
[...]

Adrian Spratt

[...]

Onwardbob

That's been working for me as well

BOB SOUTAR.ONWARD THRU THE FOG