my function keys (insert f1 through 12), have stopped working on my keyboard

Ryan Coverdell

Windows 7,, jaws version 14. Somehow my function keys, (insert f1
through whatever), quit working. I can't exit web-pages (altogether
f4), unload Jaws (insert plus f4), or even restart my computer using
windows m and then altogether f 4 to get to the shut-down options. I
have a neighbor who can see, that could try some things. But before I
go to the trouble of finding out if he can do something I'd like to
try to do some things myself. Could one of you please e-mail what to
try and be as specific as possible. I don't want to completely mess up
anything. Kindest regards, Ryan Coverdell P.S. I hope
there's a simple reset command or something.

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

I suppose you have tried the obvious System Restore?

GIFT (God is forever true),

Carolyn

Windows 7,, jaws version 14. Somehow my function keys, (insert f1
through whatever), quit working. I can't exit web-pages (altogether
f4), unload Jaws (insert plus f4), or even restart my computer using
windows m and then altogether f 4 to get to the shut-down options. I
have a neighbor who can see, that could try some things. But before I
go to the trouble of finding out if he can do something I'd like to
try to do some things myself. Could one of you please e-mail what to
try and be as specific as possible. I don't want to completely mess up
anything. Kindest regards, Ryan Coverdell P.S. I hope
there's a simple reset command or something.

northstar1950@...

look for an fn key on the top right of the keyboard and press it. its a toggle and will return your function keys back to their defaults.

Legend has it that on Thursday 4/30/2015 06:59 AM, Ryan Coverdell via Jfw said:
Windows 7,, jaws version 14. Somehow my function keys, (insert f1
through whatever), quit working. I can't exit web-pages (altogether
f4), unload Jaws (insert plus f4), or even restart my computer using
windows m and then altogether f 4 to get to the shut-down options. I
have a neighbor who can see, that could try some things. But before I
go to the trouble of finding out if he can do something I'd like to
try to do some things myself. Could one of you please e-mail what to
try and be as specific as possible. I don't want to completely mess up
anything. Kindest regards, Ryan Coverdell P.S. I hope
there's a simple reset command or something.

<http://www.sendspace.com/folder/i7xwg4>Click here to check out my sendspace offerings!

Harry Spencer <spencer-h@...>

On my Microsoft brand keyboard the key to the right of F12 toggles the
function keys on and off.

Windows 7,, jaws version 14. Somehow my function keys, (insert f1 through
whatever), quit working. I can't exit web-pages (altogether f4), unload Jaws
(insert plus f4), or even restart my computer using windows m and then
altogether f 4 to get to the shut-down options. I have a neighbor who can
see, that could try some things. But before I go to the trouble of finding
out if he can do something I'd like to try to do some things myself. Could
one of you please e-mail what to try and be as specific as possible. I don't
want to completely mess up
anything. Kindest regards, Ryan Coverdell P.S. I hope
there's a simple reset command or something.

Soronel Haetir

And if talking about HP laptops the fn key is to the right of the left
control key (but it has to be hit in combination with the f key to be
invoked, it's not an on-off toggle), hp laptops also default to action
key mode where the f keys perform other actions (things like mute and
network airplane mode). To reset the f keys from that mode requires
someone who can see because it can only be changed in the BIOS.

On 4/30/15, Harry Spencer via Jfw <jfw@...> wrote:
On my Microsoft brand keyboard the key to the right of F12 toggles the
function keys on and off.

Windows 7,, jaws version 14. Somehow my function keys, (insert f1 through
whatever), quit working. I can't exit web-pages (altogether f4), unload
Jaws
(insert plus f4), or even restart my computer using windows m and then
altogether f 4 to get to the shut-down options. I have a neighbor who can
see, that could try some things. But before I go to the trouble of finding
out if he can do something I'd like to try to do some things myself. Could
one of you please e-mail what to try and be as specific as possible. I
don't
want to completely mess up
anything. Kindest regards, Ryan Coverdell P.S. I hope
there's a simple reset command or something.

Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@...

Ryan Coverdell

That works! Thank you.