lost instructions to make Firefox and Thunderbird work better withJaws

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Robert. I am posting the complete instructions here to make Thunderbird and Firefox readable with the JAWS cursor and in dialogue boxes. Previous posts have not included all the instructions.

When using Mozilla Firefox version 4 or newer, reviewing web pages using the JAWS Cursor is problematic. Mozilla is using a new graphical technology in Firefox version 4 and newer which bypasses the offscreen model, (OSM). Since JAWS For Windows depends on the OSM to allow the user to review the screen using the JAWS Cursor, things don't work the same as with older versions of Firefox, (such as version 3.6).

Solution:

1. Launch Mozilla Firefox.

2. Press Control-L to open a new link.

3. Type "about:config" and press Enter.

(All commands to type do not include the quotation marks)

4. If you are presented with a dialog which warns you about the dangers of making changes, Tab to the "I'll be careful, I promise!" button and press Enter.

5. At this point you should be out of Virtual Cursor mode and on a filter Edit Box. If not, turn off Virtual Cursor mode by pressing JAWS Key - z.

6. In the filter Edit Box type "direct2d.disabled".

7. Press Tab to get to the list of filtered entries and you should see one called "gfx.direct2d.disabled" with a default value of False.

8. Press Enter to toggle this value to True.

9. Press Shift-Tab to get back to the filter Edit Box and type "layers.acceleration.disabled".

10. Press Tab to get to the list of filtered entries and you should see one called "layers.acceleration.disabled" with a default value of False.

11. Press Enter to toggle this value to True.

12. In the filter Edit Box type "composition.enabled"

13. Press Tab to get to the list of filtered entries and you should see one called

layers.offmainthreadcomposition.enabled with a value of true

14. Press Enter to toggle this value to False.

15. Press Control-W to close the configuration window.

16. Restart Firefox.

you should now be able to use the JAWS Cursor to review web pages while using Mozilla Firefox version 36.0.1 and newer.

Bill White billwhite92701@dslextreme.com