Screen rotation.

Greg Nickel

Hi all.

From time to time my screen orientation gets rotated 90 degrees. I only
know this because my wife happens to see my screen. When it is brought to
my attention, I then recollect that I have frequent cursor jumping and other
minor focus issues. Since they were only annoyances that I chalked up to
the idiosyncrasies of JAWS I didn't know to fix the problem.

So, here's a couple questions:

1. What is the shortcut to re-orientate or rotate the screen?

2. Is there any audio cue that can be assigned to indicate the screen
has rotated?

Not sure what the shortcut key is that rotates the screen but it must be
similar or adjacent to one that I use since this seems to happen to me
reasonably frequently.

Thanks.

Aleeha Dudley

When my DELL laptop did this, it was control alt and the arrow keys. I don’t think there is a sound that can be played when this happens. I think, though, that there is a way to turn these shortcuts off.
Aleeha Dudley and Seeing Eye Dog Dallas
Vice President, Ohio Association of Guide Dog Users
Vice President, Ohio Association of Blind Students
Both proud divisions of the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio
Email: blindcowgirl1993@gmail.com <mailto:blindcowgirl1993@gmail.com>
Phone: 937-733-0525
“The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horse’s ears.” - Arabian proverb

On Apr 25, 2015, at 5:52 PM, Greg Nickel via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:

Hi all.

From time to time my screen orientation gets rotated 90 degrees. I only
know this because my wife happens to see my screen. When it is brought to
my attention, I then recollect that I have frequent cursor jumping and other
minor focus issues. Since they were only annoyances that I chalked up to
the idiosyncrasies of JAWS I didn't know to fix the problem.

So, here's a couple questions:

1. What is the shortcut to re-orientate or rotate the screen?

2. Is there any audio cue that can be assigned to indicate the screen
has rotated?

Not sure what the shortcut key is that rotates the screen but it must be
similar or adjacent to one that I use since this seems to happen to me
reasonably frequently.

Thanks.

Martin Blackwell

On the Dell laptops I've seen, Control plus Alt plus Up Arrow did the
trick. However, it never worked for me while JAWS was running. Only when I
exited. That may not be true for everyone. Which keystroke works may depend
on your graphic card. I don't know of any way to assign an audio cue.

know this because my wife happens to see my screen. When it is brought to
my attention, I then recollect that I have frequent cursor jumping and other
minor focus issues. Since they were only annoyances that I chalked up to
the idiosyncrasies of JAWS I didn't know to fix the problem.

So, here's a couple questions:

1. What is the shortcut to re-orientate or rotate the screen?

2. Is there any audio cue that can be assigned to indicate the screen
has rotated?

Not sure what the shortcut key is that rotates the screen but it must be
similar or adjacent to one that I use since this seems to happen to me
reasonably frequently.

Thanks.

Greg Nickel

Looks like I have to shut JAWS off to use this shortcut key. With JAWS turned on the cntl+alt+arrows refer to title controls.

Is there anyway to rotate with JAWS turned on?

I think I know at least where the problem starts…when I turn off JAWS to restart it I use the shortcut of the cntrl + alt + J to restart JAWS..I must be inadvertently hitting one of the arrow keys during the restart.

When my DELL laptop did this, it was control alt and the arrow keys. I don’t think there is a sound that can be played when this happens. I think, though, that there is a way to turn these shortcuts off.

Aleeha Dudley and Seeing Eye Dog Dallas

Vice President, Ohio Association of Guide Dog Users

Vice President, Ohio Association of Blind Students

Both proud divisions of the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio

Email: blindcowgirl1993@gmail.com

Phone: 937-733-0525

“The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horse’s ears.” - Arabian proverb

On Apr 25, 2015, at 5:52 PM, Greg Nickel via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:

Hi all.

From time to time my screen orientation gets rotated 90 degrees. I only
know this because my wife happens to see my screen. When it is brought to
my attention, I then recollect that I have frequent cursor jumping and other
minor focus issues. Since they were only annoyances that I chalked up to
the idiosyncrasies of JAWS I didn't know to fix the problem.

So, here's a couple questions:

1. What is the shortcut to re-orientate or rotate the screen?

2. Is there any audio cue that can be assigned to indicate the screen
has rotated?

Not sure what the shortcut key is that rotates the screen but it must be
similar or adjacent to one that I use since this seems to happen to me
reasonably frequently.

Thanks.

Greg Nickel

Yes, exactly...so does anyone know a shortcut key to rotate the screen with
JAWS turned on? And secondarily is there any way to know the orientation of

the screen, for those of us without vision? -----Original Message-----

know this because my wife happens to see my screen. When it is brought to
my attention, I then recollect that I have frequent cursor jumping and other
minor focus issues. Since they were only annoyances that I chalked up to
the idiosyncrasies of JAWS I didn't know to fix the problem.

So, here's a couple questions:

1. What is the shortcut to re-orientate or rotate the screen?

2. Is there any audio cue that can be assigned to indicate the screen
has rotated?

Not sure what the shortcut key is that rotates the screen but it must be
similar or adjacent to one that I use since this seems to happen to me
reasonably frequently.

Thanks.

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

Gregg, you may know that the iPhone does alert Landscape if it is turned, then says Portrait, if it is back in the position I ordinarily use. So, that seems like a valid question, is there a way to know one way or another other than going into Font?

GIFT (God is forever true),

Carolyn

know this because my wife happens to see my screen. When it is brought to
my attention, I then recollect that I have frequent cursor jumping and other
minor focus issues. Since they were only annoyances that I chalked up to
the idiosyncrasies of JAWS I didn't know to fix the problem.

So, here's a couple questions:

1. What is the shortcut to re-orientate or rotate the screen?

2. Is there any audio cue that can be assigned to indicate the screen
has rotated?

Not sure what the shortcut key is that rotates the screen but it must be
similar or adjacent to one that I use since this seems to happen to me
reasonably frequently.

Thanks.

Tom Lange

Hi Greg,
This problem is not unique to Dell laptops; I've run into this issue with Dell desktop machines that have an Intel graphics adapter. I think the shortcut that caused the screen rotation is ctrl+alt+right arrow, and to set it back to normal may be ctrl+alt+up arrow. If that doesn't work, put focus on the desktop and make sure that nothing is selected. Then bring up the context menu with the applications key or shift+f10, and look for something related to Intel Graphics. Open that submenu and in there you should see an option to reorient the screen. You may also see something that will disable screen rotation.

Hope that helps.

Tom

know this because my wife happens to see my screen. When it is brought to
my attention, I then recollect that I have frequent cursor jumping and other
minor focus issues. Since they were only annoyances that I chalked up to
the idiosyncrasies of JAWS I didn't know to fix the problem.

So, here's a couple questions:

1. What is the shortcut to re-orientate or rotate the screen?

2. Is there any audio cue that can be assigned to indicate the screen
has rotated?

Not sure what the shortcut key is that rotates the screen but it must be
similar or adjacent to one that I use since this seems to happen to me
reasonably frequently.

Thanks.

Greg Nickel

Yes...Tom, that's got it.

Trick is that when you go to the desk top using shortcut key like windows M
ore windows D you have to tap away from focus then open the context menue
where I found Graphic options and could arrow to rotate to normal.

Certainly would be nice to know when/if it changes...Couldn't find the
option to turn off this shortcut.

know this because my wife happens to see my screen. When it is brought to
my attention, I then recollect that I have frequent cursor jumping and
other
minor focus issues. Since they were only annoyances that I chalked up to
the idiosyncrasies of JAWS I didn't know to fix the problem.

So, here's a couple questions:

1. What is the shortcut to re-orientate or rotate the screen?

2. Is there any audio cue that can be assigned to indicate the
screen
has rotated?

Not sure what the shortcut key is that rotates the screen but it must be
similar or adjacent to one that I use since this seems to happen to me
reasonably frequently.

Thanks.

Nicole Massey <nyyki@...>

Yes, this happens on my non-Dell machine with an Intel graphics adapter as
well. I've not found a way to right this condition with Jaws on, but
shutting it off, fixing the problem, and then turning it right back on seems
to resolve the issue.

[...]

Hey Nicole.

Tim's suggestion gets it done without shutting off JAWS.

Windows + M or D to desktop then take focus off any icons then open the
context menue shift + f10 then to graphic options and to rotate screen.

I can't see the orientation so for me this indicates that I've set it to
"normal" orientation....

[...]

Right, though I've got things set up so I can shut down Jaws and restart it
again with no problems, and this only comes up when a sighted person tries
to use my screen -- I couldn't care less about the rotation when I use it as
Jaws doesn't care about it at all from what I've experienced, and I don't
know there's a problem unless a sighted person, who is on hand to make sure
it's rotated correctly, is telling me about it. So though it's handy to be
able to do this without sighted assistance as one more accessibility issue
resolved, it's not something I can imagine comes up without sighted persons
involved.

[...]

scrubbed...

Michael B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Greg,

Open Graphics Options, arrow down to, Hotkeys, press enter, arrow up / down
to, Disable, & press enter. This will disable the Hotkeys so this won't
happen again. HTH
Take care.
Mike
This email was sent from my, iGoDodgersBarstool.

[...]

Ann Byrne

Another easy way in windows 7 is to press the windows key so you get the search box, and type 'screen orientation' and press enter. Or type 'rotate screen' and arrow to 'screen orientation'. The search feature in windows 7 is awesome!

At 04:52 PM 4/25/2015, you wrote:
Hi all.

From time to time my screen orientation gets rotated 90 degrees. I only
know this because my wife happens to see my screen. When it is brought to
my attention, I then recollect that I have frequent cursor jumping and other
minor focus issues. Since they were only annoyances that I chalked up to
the idiosyncrasies of JAWS I didn't know to fix the problem.

So, here's a couple questions:

1. What is the shortcut to re-orientate or rotate the screen?

2. Is there any audio cue that can be assigned to indicate the screen
has rotated?

Not sure what the shortcut key is that rotates the screen but it must be
similar or adjacent to one that I use since this seems to happen to me
reasonably frequently.

Thanks.

Greg Nickel

Thanks Mike.

[...]

Thanks Ann. Nice reminder about the search optio...

Another easy way in windows 7 is to press the windows key so you get
the search box, and type 'screen orientation' and press enter. Or
type 'rotate screen' and arrow to 'screen orientation'. The search
feature in windows 7 is awesome!

At 04:52 PM 4/25/2015, you wrote:
Hi all.

From time to time my screen orientation gets rotated 90 degrees. I only
know this because my wife happens to see my screen. When it is brought to
my attention, I then recollect that I have frequent cursor jumping and
other
minor focus issues. Since they were only annoyances that I chalked up to
the idiosyncrasies of JAWS I didn't know to fix the problem.

So, here's a couple questions:

1. What is the shortcut to re-orientate or rotate the screen?

2. Is there any audio cue that can be assigned to indicate the screen
has rotated?

Not sure what the shortcut key is that rotates the screen but it must be
similar or adjacent to one that I use since this seems to happen to me
reasonably frequently.

Thanks.

Dave...

Tom,

Yes, you've given the actual cure to the disease, and not just the symptoms.

Dave Carlson
Oregonian, woodworker, Musician, and pioneer

know this because my wife happens to see my screen. When it is brought to
my attention, I then recollect that I have frequent cursor jumping and
other
minor focus issues. Since they were only annoyances that I chalked up to
the idiosyncrasies of JAWS I didn't know to fix the problem.

So, here's a couple questions:

1. What is the shortcut to re-orientate or rotate the screen?

2. Is there any audio cue that can be assigned to indicate the
screen
has rotated?

Not sure what the shortcut key is that rotates the screen but it must be
similar or adjacent to one that I use since this seems to happen to me
reasonably frequently.

Thanks.

Dave...

Greg,

It's there, and you just need to look further in the dialog. Perhaps hidden
in a menu tree.

Dave Carlson
Oregonian, woodworker, Musician, and pioneer

know this because my wife happens to see my screen. When it is brought to
my attention, I then recollect that I have frequent cursor jumping and
other
minor focus issues. Since they were only annoyances that I chalked up to
the idiosyncrasies of JAWS I didn't know to fix the problem.

So, here's a couple questions:

1. What is the shortcut to re-orientate or rotate the screen?

2. Is there any audio cue that can be assigned to indicate the
screen
has rotated?

Not sure what the shortcut key is that rotates the screen but it must be
similar or adjacent to one that I use since this seems to happen to me
reasonably frequently.

Thanks.

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Oh yeah, JAWS can care a lot. Sometimes our mainframe app flips, and it's a real mess. Much of what you need to see scrolls off the right-hand side. I think we resolve it through the View screen. In all these years, I've never had a problem with the screen itself, all applications, but I'm familiar with the control-pannel module about which he spoke.

Ted