From: Jfw [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com] On Behalf Of Jennifer Aberdeen via Jfw
Sent: Thursday, April 23, 2015 10:16 PM
To: jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
Cc: Jennifer Aberdeen
Subject: Jaws question

Hi all,

I’ve been trying to find the answer to my question in Jaws help, but for the life of me, I can’t find the answer.

How do I turn Jaws back on after turning it off?

I thought it was alt+control+J, but that doesn’t seem to work.

I had shut Jaws off so my sighted niece could use my computer without any annoyance from Jaws, but the only way I know how to get it back on is if I restart my computer.

Thanks,

Jen

Guerra Access Technology Training <gaccesstt@...>

Jennifer-

Press the Windows Key + M to go to the desktop and then type JAWS and press enter.
You should when its open, on the Jaws icon press Alt+enter to open the shortcut menu for the jaws icon to create the shortcut control+alt+j

HTH
Contact me privately if you want more help
gaccesstt@gmail.com

Respectfully,

Guerra Access Technology Training LLC
An Authorized state of Minnesota Vendor for Technology Training

Call Guerra Access Technology Training LLC
guerra Access Technology Training LLC
Visit Guerra Access Technology Training on the Web

I’ve been trying to find the answer to my question in Jaws help, but for the life of me, I can’t find the answer.

How do I turn Jaws back on after turning it off?

I thought it was alt+control+J, but that doesn’t seem to work.

I had shut Jaws off so my sighted niece could use my computer without any annoyance from Jaws, but the only way I know how to get it back on is if I restart my computer.

Thanks,

Jen

Michal Nowicki <mnowicki4@...>

Alt plus Ctrl plus J works only if you previously enable it as a shortcut to start JAWS; there actually is no default shortcut to launch JAWS, so I'm not surprised you can't find one. There are, however, ways to start JAWS without restarting the computer. For instance, if you have a JAWS desktop icon, you can press Windows M or Windows D to go to the desktop and then the letter J to get to the JAWS icon. At that point press Enter to activate the icon. If you have iother icons that begin with the letter J (e.g. Java), though, this may not be the best option, as you will have no speech while you attempt to navigate to the JAWS icon. Therefore, your best bet is probably to type "JAWS" from within the start menu and press Enter, at least until you set up the Alt plus Ctrl plus J shortcut.

I’ve been trying to find the answer to my question in Jaws help, but for the life of me, I can’t find the answer.

How do I turn Jaws back on after turning it off?

I thought it was alt+control+J, but that doesn’t seem to work.

I had shut Jaws off so my sighted niece could use my computer without any annoyance from Jaws, but the only way I know how to get it back on is if I restart my computer.

Thanks,

Jen

brian albriton

Hi, Jennifer.
Make sure the short-cut key to jaws is set.
Focus on the jaws icon on your desk top.
Pressalt-enter to open properties.
Tab to shortcut key.
If it says none, press the letter j.
Tab to ok and press the spacebar.
This is just a quick and dirty answer so if anything isn't clear let us know.
Brian

I’ve been trying to find the answer to my question in Jaws help, but for the life of me, I can’t find the answer.

How do I turn Jaws back on after turning it off?

I thought it was alt+control+J, but that doesn’t seem to work.

I had shut Jaws off so my sighted niece could use my computer without any annoyance from Jaws, but the only way I know how to get it back on is if I restart my computer.

Thanks,

Jen

Nicole Massey <nyyki@...>

Note also that some other programs set up the alt+ctrl+J shortcut, so it's wise to hit it while Jaws is working to find out what comes up and if it's not Jaws then change that shortcut. One of the Nero programs does this, for instance.

I’ve been trying to find the answer to my question in Jaws help, but
for the life of me, I can’t find the answer.

How do I turn Jaws back on after turning it off?

I thought it was alt+control+J, but that doesn’t seem to work.

I had shut Jaws off so my sighted niece could use my computer without
any annoyance from Jaws, but the only way I know how to get it back on
is if I restart my computer.

Thanks,

Jen

---

Cristóbal

I always use the numbers on the top row for my Jaws shortcuts. I.E. JFW 14=control+alt+4. JFW 15=control+alt+5. JFW 16=control+alt+6 and so on.

Note also that some other programs set up the alt+ctrl+J shortcut, so it's wise to hit it while Jaws is working to find out what comes up and if it's not Jaws then change that shortcut. One of the Nero programs does this, for instance.

I’ve been trying to find the answer to my question in Jaws help, but
for the life of me, I can’t find the answer.

How do I turn Jaws back on after turning it off?

I thought it was alt+control+J, but that doesn’t seem to work.

I had shut Jaws off so my sighted niece could use my computer without
any annoyance from Jaws, but the only way I know how to get it back on
is if I restart my computer.

Thanks,

Jen

---
scrubbed...

Dave...

Hey Brother, that's exactly what I've been doing since JAWS 9. Like minds
think alike, as they say.

Dave Carlson
Oregonian, woodworker, Musician, and pioneer

I always use the numbers on the top row for my Jaws shortcuts. I.E. JFW
14=control+alt+4. JFW 15=control+alt+5. JFW 16=control+alt+6 and so on.

I’ve been trying to find the answer to my question in Jaws help, but
for the life of me, I can’t find the answer.

How do I turn Jaws back on after turning it off?

I thought it was alt+control+J, but that doesn’t seem to work.

I had shut Jaws off so my sighted niece could use my computer without
any annoyance from Jaws, but the only way I know how to get it back on
is if I restart my computer.

Thanks,

Jen

---
scrubbed...

Kimsan <kimsansong@...>

Follower!

Just kidding, I've done the same since the day before forever.

Hey Brother, that's exactly what I've been doing since JAWS 9. Like minds think alike, as they say.

Dave Carlson
Oregonian, woodworker, Musician, and pioneer

I always use the numbers on the top row for my Jaws shortcuts. I.E. JFW
14=control+alt+4. JFW 15=control+alt+5. JFW 16=control+alt+6 and so on.

I’ve been trying to find the answer to my question in Jaws help, but
for the life of me, I can’t find the answer.

How do I turn Jaws back on after turning it off?

I thought it was alt+control+J, but that doesn’t seem to work.

I had shut Jaws off so my sighted niece could use my computer without
any annoyance from Jaws, but the only way I know how to get it back on
is if I restart my computer.

Thanks,

Jen

---
scrubbed...

Ed Marquette <marquette.ed@...>

OK.
I was about to say that I thought the expression was, "Great minds think alike!" <SMILE>
I too used the technique of employing control plus alt and a top row number key to correspond with the jaws version. I quit when I realized that combination conflicted with Microsoft Word's shortcut for applying headings.
Control plus alt plus 1 applies heading 1; control plus alt plus 2 applies heading 2; and so on. I know I can change these keys, but have been too lazy to do so.

[...]

Lee Maschmeyer

Five wrong answers in a row plus a bunch of varying reliability ones. Bah! <grin>

Somebody almost got it but not quite.

The most reliable way to restart Jaws is to press Windows+R and then type: JAWSxx where xx is the version number. If you don't know what version you're running, start with 16 (the newest) and count down until you get Jaws instead of a ding when you press Enter. I just tested this and it does work.

Somebody suggested JFWxx but that won't work. Only JAWSxx does.

(Uncopyrighted Lee's Unreliable Tech Tips--LUTT) <grin>

HTH,

--

Lee Maschmeyer

"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."
--Lewis Carroll

Maria Campbell

You can also go to desktop and press J and enter if you don't have any thing else starting with J.

On 4/23/2015 10:15 PM, Jennifer Aberdeen via Jfw wrote:
Hi all,

I’ve been trying to find the answer to my question in Jaws help, but for the life of me, I can’t find the answer.

How do I turn Jaws back on after turning it off?

I thought it was alt+control+J, but that doesn’t seem to work.

I had shut Jaws off so my sighted niece could use my computer without any annoyance from Jaws, but the only way I know how to get it back on is if I restart my computer.

Thanks,

Jen

---

Sunny Day
Maria Campbell
lucky1@ct.metrocast.net

Blaise Pascal

Annabelle Susan Morison

How exactly did you turn it off? Did you press insert+F4? Did you press
Insert+Windows+F4? I'm confused!

I've been trying to find the answer to my question in Jaws help, but for the
life of me, I can't find the answer.

How do I turn Jaws back on after turning it off?

I thought it was alt+control+J, but that doesn't seem to work.

I had shut Jaws off so my sighted niece could use my computer without any
annoyance from Jaws, but the only way I know how to get it back on is if I
restart my computer.

Thanks,

Jen

judith bron

Once you get on the jaws menu what do you press to get jaws working?

[...]

Mcginnis, Barbara

Lee, once you get JAWS up and running, do you want to create a shortcut/hot key of Control, Alt, J so that you can start JAWS again after you turn it off with Insert F-4?

[...]

________________________________

E-mail correspondence to and from this address may be subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties by an authorized state official.

________________________________

________________________________

Email correspondence to and from this sender is subject to the N.C. Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties.

Dave...

Ed, You are correct. My "great" mind was off somewhere else when I wrote
that.
Dave Carlson
Oregonian, woodworker, Musician, and pioneer

Just kidding, I've done the same since the day before forever.

I always use the numbers on the top row for my Jaws shortcuts. I.E. JFW
14=control+alt+4. JFW 15=control+alt+5. JFW 16=control+alt+6 and so on.

I’ve been trying to find the answer to my question in Jaws help, but
for the life of me, I can’t find the answer.

How do I turn Jaws back on after turning it off?

I thought it was alt+control+J, but that doesn’t seem to work.

I had shut Jaws off so my sighted niece could use my computer without
any annoyance from Jaws, but the only way I know how to get it back on
is if I restart my computer.

Thanks,

Jen

---
scrubbed...

Kevin Hourigan <kevinthourigan@...>

Hello,
Once you are on the start menu, press J, and hopefully, but not absolutely, that will place the cursor on Jaws on the menu, and you can press enter to start it.
But you may wish to have Jaws load automatically when Windows starts.
To do this
1. Press insert J to go to Jaws.
2. Press alt O for the options menu.
3. Press enter on basics.
4. tab approximately 3 times Until you come to start Jaws automatically.
5. You should be prompted to press the spacebar to activate.
6. Press tab again until you reach the okay button, and press enter again.
Cheers Kevin.

J (whoever J is--Jill? Jane? Judith, I used to know but forgot...) said:

Once you get on the jaws menu what do you press to get jaws working?
You're not on the Jaws menu. Jaws just starts working.

To clarify, here are all the gory details in one place:

1. To allow a sighted person to use your computer, press Insert+F4 to get to the "Quit Jaws" dialog and then press Enter.

2. To restart Jaws, press Windows+R for the Run dialog and then type JAWSxx and press Enter. Boom. Your Jaws is working.

(xx, of course, being the version of Jaws you want to start.)

There are all kinds of other ways but this one works 100% of the time.

HTH,

--

Lee Maschmeyer

"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."
--Lewis Carroll

Stan Bobbitt

Hehe that seems to be right, great minds LOL. I too use that system. I've been using the number row for shortcuts for JAWS since version 11, 1, 2, 3, etc. I always keep 1 or 2 previous versions onboard JIC.

I always use the numbers on the top row for my Jaws shortcuts. I.E. JFW
14=control+alt+4. JFW 15=control+alt+5. JFW 16=control+alt+6 and so on.

I’ve been trying to find the answer to my question in Jaws help, but
for the life of me, I can’t find the answer.

How do I turn Jaws back on after turning it off?

I thought it was alt+control+J, but that doesn’t seem to work.

I had shut Jaws off so my sighted niece could use my computer without
any annoyance from Jaws, but the only way I know how to get it back on
is if I restart my computer.

Thanks,

Jen

---
scrubbed...

Michal Nowicki <mnowicki4@...>

I don't use the number row shortcuts because even if I have multiple versions of JAWS installed on my computer, I almost always use the newest version, so I stick with Alt Ctrl J.