Working from home

Ann Byrne

Which applications do people use with JAWS to work from home? My student's company is agreeable to her working at home some of the time, but needs to know which programs will work well enough with JAWS and their servers to make this possible.

thanks for the input.

Marianne Denning

What type of work will she be doing?

On 4/20/15, Ann Byrne via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:
Which applications do people use with JAWS to work from
home? My student's company is agreeable to her working at home some
of the time, but needs to know which programs will work well enough
with JAWS and their servers to make this possible.

thanks for the input.

Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053

Kimber Gardner

I'm in .I.T and I use remote desktop. I can use it to access either a
server or the computer on my desk. Either way Jaws has to be installed
on both ends with remote access enabled. The technology isn't perfect
by any measure, but it's a heck of a lot better than it was several
years ago. Citrix is supposed to work too, but I have never had
success with that method.

If you need specifics, either you or your student can contact me
off-list at kimbersinbox1963@gmail.com.

Kimber

On 4/20/15, Ann Byrne via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:
Which applications do people use with JAWS to work from
home? My student's company is agreeable to her working at home some
of the time, but needs to know which programs will work well enough
with JAWS and their servers to make this possible.

thanks for the input.

Kimberly

Paul Martz <skewmatrix@...>

Presumably the employee has JAWS on both home and work computers? In that case, just use tandem.

-Paul

On Apr 20, 2015, at 7:58 PM, Ann Byrne via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:

Which applications do people use with JAWS to work from home? My student's company is agreeable to her working at home some of the time, but needs to know which programs will work well enough with JAWS and their servers to make this possible.

thanks for the input.

Marianne Denning

Someone at the work end would have to help with the connection but
that might work. Very interesting solution.

wrote:

Which applications do people use with JAWS to work from home? My
student's company is agreeable to her working at home some of the time,
but needs to know which programs will work well enough with JAWS and their
servers to make this possible.

thanks for the input.

Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053

Brent Harding

The other issue would be that you likely have to share your login password with whoever happens to be around, which isn't a great idea. An empty audio cable in the headphone jack would mute the chatter the work side would hear, but I'm not sure if you can access Tandem right at the login prompt.

wrote:

Which applications do people use with JAWS to work from home? My
student's company is agreeable to her working at home some of the time,
but needs to know which programs will work well enough with JAWS and their
servers to make this possible.

thanks for the input.

Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053

Michael Mote

I currently work from home using a VPN. This gives me access to the files
that I need on my work's shared drive. As for Tandem, I would say that's a
bad idea. If for whatever reason, the connection is interrupted, someone
from work would have to go to that computer and help you reestablish the
connection. Tandem isn't really designed for that. It might work in a
pinch, but I'm not sure if it would be reliable for an entire work day.

wrote:

Which applications do people use with JAWS to work from home?
My student's company is agreeable to her working at home some of the
time, but needs to know which programs will work well enough with
JAWS and their servers to make this possible.

thanks for the input.

Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Besides, it would require two employees for the price of one. What employer in his/her right mind would hire any of us if another staff member had to do all the work?

Ted

wrote:

Which applications do people use with JAWS to work from home?
My student's company is agreeable to her working at home some of the
time, but needs to know which programs will work well enough with
JAWS and their servers to make this possible.

thanks for the input.

Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053

Ann Byrne

So VPN works with JAWS? I understood that it did not. Great news!

wrote:

Which applications do people use with JAWS to work from home?
My student's company is agreeable to her working at home some of the
time, but needs to know which programs will work well enough with
JAWS and their servers to make this possible.

thanks for the input.

Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053

Kimber Gardner

Yeah, VPN works fine with jaws.

wrote:

Which applications do people use with JAWS to work from home?
My student's company is agreeable to her working at home some of the
time, but needs to know which programs will work well enough with
JAWS and their servers to make this possible.

thanks for the input.

Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053

Kimberly

Peter.Logan@...

I have been using VPN for several years without any issues. So, working
from home or in the office is the same ... I have acces to all the
network drives ... and my SSH client to our Unix servers and 3270 emulator
to our mainframe. and remote desktop to manage several of our Windows
servers .. RD is the only thing that is a little messy .. at least
getting connected initially ....

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me off list ....

Peter Logan
Database Administrator
SpartanNash INC.
Office: 616/878-8309
Mobile: 616/304-9672
E-Mail: peter.logan@spartannash.com

From: Ann Byrne via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
To: Michael Mote <miketmote73@gmail.com>, "The Jaws for Windows
support list." <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Date: 04/21/2015 03:34 PM
Sent by: "Jfw" <jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com>

wrote:

Which applications do people use with JAWS to work from home?
My student's company is agreeable to her working at home some of the
time, but needs to know which programs will work well enough with
JAWS and their servers to make this possible.

thanks for the input.

Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053

Mario

what version, 14?

wrote:

Which applications do people use with JAWS to work from home?
My student's company is agreeable to her working at home some of the
time, but needs to know which programs will work well enough with
JAWS and their servers to make this possible.

thanks for the input.

Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

My only caveat pertains to speed. Our aps are like gnawing on a grindstone here at the office, and we have T1; I hate to think about how they would run on anything slower!

Ted

wrote:

Which applications do people use with JAWS to work from home?
My student's company is agreeable to her working at home some of the
time, but needs to know which programs will work well enough with
JAWS and their servers to make this possible.

thanks for the input.

Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053

Kimberly

paul lemm

Hi,

I work from home 3 days a week and 2 days in the office, I have a laptop set
up at home that connects to my work through a VPN (I believe we use
something called bt global protect for this), I then have access to
everything I need so it's no different from when I'm in the office.

Hope this helps