Opening GMail settings menu in standard view

Paul Martz <skewmatrix@...>

Hi all. I've been exploring ways to use GMail in standard view, and have
been pretty successful so far, but I'm running into an issue opening the
settings menu and I'm curious if anyone else is seeing the same behavior or
knows a good workaround.

To reproduce the issue, go to mail.google.com. Assuming you're already
signed in, this takes you to your inbox. Now hit INSERT+F5 and find the
Settings menu. Press Enter. You'll hear JAWS say "settings button menu
collapsed". Now try to open that menu. Spacebar, enter, and alt + down arrow
all fail to open the menu, in my experience.

The only workaround I've found is to disable the Virtual PC cursor with
INSERT+Z. After doing so, spacebar opens the menu, and you can down arrow
through the menu options.

Does anyone know of a better work around? Is there a Google keyboard
shortcut that opens the settings menu, or a shortcut to, say, go directly to
the settings page?

Note: I'm trying to find a way to accessibly enable the GMail keyboard
shortcuts in the settings page. It is therefore important to go to the
settings page while in standard view, as the keyboard shortcuts option does
not appear in the settings page when you're in basic HTML view.

Thanks,
-Paul

Mr. Eyeball (AccessTelevision.tv Gmail)

Did you try Jaws key + Control + enter ?

Name:
Mr. Jonas Voll
Email:

Web site:
www.AccessTelevision.tv
YouTube:
FaceBook:
Twitter:

Hi all. I've been exploring ways to use GMail in standard view, and have
been pretty successful so far, but I'm running into an issue opening the
settings menu and I'm curious if anyone else is seeing the same behavior or
knows a good workaround.

To reproduce the issue, go to mail.google.com. Assuming you're already
signed in, this takes you to your inbox. Now hit INSERT+F5 and find the
Settings menu. Press Enter. You'll hear JAWS say "settings button menu
collapsed". Now try to open that menu. Spacebar, enter, and alt + down arrow
all fail to open the menu, in my experience.

The only workaround I've found is to disable the Virtual PC cursor with
INSERT+Z. After doing so, spacebar opens the menu, and you can down
INSERT+arrow
through the menu options.

Does anyone know of a better work around? Is there a Google keyboard
shortcut that opens the settings menu, or a shortcut to, say, go directly to
the settings page?

Note: I'm trying to find a way to accessibly enable the GMail keyboard
shortcuts in the settings page. It is therefore important to go to the
settings page while in standard view, as the keyboard shortcuts option does
not appear in the settings page when you're in basic HTML view.

Thanks,
-Paul

Paul Martz <skewmatrix@...>

Control + jawskey • enter also fails to work.

Can someone with a GMail account give this a try and post your findings? It'd be interesting to know if this is reproducible. If so, I could report it to Freedom Scientific.

-Paul

On Apr 17, 2015, at 3:23 PM, Mr. Eyeball (AccessTelevision.tv Gmail) <accesstelevision.tv@...> wrote:

[...]

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

OK, Paul. I'm using an older version of Internet Explorer, but here's how I did it.

I switched to the JAWS cursor and found the word Settings on the screen. I moved to the third letter in the word settings, which is of course the letter T. Then I clicked the "Left Mouse" button on my keyboard. Once I did this, it brought up the settings menu with several options and a "Save" button, and a "Cancel" button. Once this new screen opened, I switched immediately back to the PC cursor.

I hope this works for you.
Bill White billwhite92701@...