Colors with JAWS 16 using Track Changes in Word 2010

marquette.ed@...

We use track changes in our practice, and it is sometimes important to distinguish colors in track changes. The standard defaults, in MS Word 2010, are RED and strikethrough for deleted text and Blue and double underlining for added text. For psychological reasons, clients don’t like to send documents with lots of red. So, I have changed my track change colors, as per the “review” ribbon. Unfortunately, I have learned that, despite the colors set on my computer, the recipient’s computer will change them, particularly if “track changes” are shown “by author.”

That caused me to explore. I sent a document from my Windows 7 (JAWS 15) computer to my Windows 8.1 JAWS 16) computer.

Deletions on the Windows 7 (JAWS 15) computer indicated the proper colors for deletes and additions.

On my Windows 8.1 (JAWS 16) computer, the colors were either “Black on White” or “black on black.”

I got the same read-out from JAWS, whether I used JAWS Key plus 5 or JAWS Key plus f to check the colors.

Is JAWS 16 simply defective when it comes to detecting track change colors?

Kevin Hourigan <kevinthourigan@...>

Hello Ed,
I have never had any luck with colours and Jaws; particularly using control shift S for styles, selecting a colour, and checking the result with insert F, only to hear a completely different colour.
Good Luck.
Cheers Kevin.

[...]

Michal Nowicki <mnowicki4@...>

Are you using the latest update to JAWS 16? Last week, FS released a minor update, which, among other fixes, addressed accuracy in reporting color.

[...]

Ed Marquette <marquette.ed@...>

Kimber Gardner

I haven't seen this problem yet, but it could be a big one since I
work with editors and proofers quite often. If you would report back
with your findings I would be grateful. I'm still using jaws 15 for
the most part, but was just about to make the switch to16. However if
colors and track changes is broken I will stay with version 15.

Thanks,
Kimber

On 4/14/15, Ed Marquette via Jfw <jfw@...> wrote:
I am generally slow about new versions of Jaws.
I will try this one now.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 13, 2015, at 5:23 PM, Michal Nowicki via Jfw
<jfw@...> wrote:

[...]

Kimberly

roydubriel@...

Hello,just how do I get to "track changes?" I have Jaws 16 home.
Thanks,

Roy Dubriel

[...]

Hello Roy,
Control shift E, when in MS Word toggles track changes on and off.
You can go to FS Training, type text analyser in the search edit box and find some webinars dealing with it.
Cheers Kevin.

[...]

Adrian Spratt

Kevin,

As I understand it, text analyzer is a JAWS tool to help pick up errors. Track changes is an MS Word tool to enable users to note revisions and determine who made which of those changes. Given that difference, is JAWS help on text analyzer relevant to track changes?

Briefly, as you indicated track changes is turned on and off with the toggle control-e. After that, for JAWS users the feature relies on Word keyboard shortcuts, the JAWS quick settings dialog (insert-v) and switching JAWS quick keys navigation on and off (insert-z).

[...]

I thank you Kevin and especially others , I do thank you a lot. Friends, I always use to think what was insert V and insert Z was for?,however I am still not happy with what Jaws 16 says,because Jaws does not tell me what the meaning of "Track changes".
Sincerely,

Roy Dubriel

[...]

Whoops!
Cheers Kevin.