Watching Videos with Flash player and JAWS

Jim Portillo

Hello,

First, I'm using JAWS as a screen reader.

Some of the websites I'm needing to frequent these days has videos that play
using flash player. There's usually a "play" button, but the others aren't
really labeled except for numbers. I've kind of gotten used to that from
other web pages.

However, how can I get a better handle regarding watching these videos more
effectively. For instance, how can I rewind or fast forward through a
video. Right now, I have no idea how to do this, and I've needed to go back
and review something or move forward through something I've already seen. I
don't really like having to watch something again just to get to a place
where I left off.

And, while I'm on this subject, how would I do similar things via YouTube?
It would be helpful to do that.

Jim

dreamy.eyes.ten@...

Hi
I'm still looking for this answer too please?

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone

On 30 Mar 2015, at 2:47 am, Jim Portillo via Jfw <jfw@...> wrote:

[...]

Bissett, Tom <tom.bissett@...>

I have not found any solution for the unlabeled buttons but there is often a slider that can be used to move forward and back through a video. I get to this slider by using the jawsKey+F5 to bring up the list of controls to move me to the slider and then turn off virtual cursor with jawsKey+Z and then my left and right arrow keys will move me forward and backward through the video.
Regards
Tom Bisset

First, I'm using JAWS as a screen reader.

Some of the websites I'm needing to frequent these days has videos that play using flash player. There's usually a "play" button, but the others aren't really labeled except for numbers. I've kind of gotten used to that from other web pages.

However, how can I get a better handle regarding watching these videos more effectively. For instance, how can I rewind or fast forward through a video. Right now, I have no idea how to do this, and I've needed to go back and review something or move forward through something I've already seen. I don't really like having to watch something again just to get to a place where I left off.

And, while I'm on this subject, how would I do similar things via YouTube?
It would be helpful to do that.

Jim

Michal Nowicki <mnowicki4@...>

The key to controlling online media players lies in turning off the virtual
cursor by pressing Insert Z. When this is accomplished, tab through the web
page until system focus reaches the media player (you will often need to tab
through a bunch of links before you get there). On most sites, you will
know that you are where you need to be when JAWS announces the presence of a
"scrubber," or when you press Tab and JAWS doesn't say anything (apart from
alerting you that you pressed the Tab key if you have it set to speak access
keys). At this point, you should be able to do the following quite
successfully:
1. Press the Spacebar to pause the video and to resume playback.
2. Use the left and right arrow keys to rewind and fast forward
respectively.
3. Use the up and down arrow keys to adjust the volume.

Don't forget to press Insert Z to reactivate the virtual cursor when you are
done, as you will otherwise not be able to navigate the web page. I don't
know if these shortcuts work in all video environments, but they do
generally work with Adobe Flash Player and Microsoft Silverlight. Good
luck, and please share any additional strategies you come up with.

Best,

Michal

[...]

Unfortunately this does not work with the player I come across.:(
However, I'll be sure to use this method on other flash players, as suggested by Bill previously.

Many thanks
Hassan

Sent from my iPhone

On 30 Mar 2015, at 5:05 pm, Michal Nowicki via Jfw <jfw@...> wrote:

[...]

mike mcglashon

ok, regarding the following:
"(apart from alerting you that you pressed the Tab key if you have it set to speak access keys)."
How does one know if such a setting is on or not; and
if it is not on,
how does one turn it on?