From: "Allison Nastoff via Jfw" <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
To: <Jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Sent: Friday, March 13, 2015 09:28 AM
Subject: Microsoft Access

Hi All,
Is there anyone on this list who successfully uses JAWS and Microsoft Access
database software in their jobs? I just landed a job with an employer that
will use Microsoft Access a lot. I told them it would be accessible with
JAWS because I have never had a problem with any other Microsoft products I
have used so I just assumed JAWS was designed to work with all Microsoft
products. I have since heard that Microsoft Access isn't fully accessible
with JAWS.What elements of Microsoft Access have you found to be accessible
and which elements were not? Were there any things that weren't accessible
at first, but were made more accessible by making some kind of modification?
Really nervous about this job so I would really appreciate insight if anyone
has experience with this software. Thanks.
Allison Nastoff

Sent from my iPhone

Kevin Hourigan <kevinthourigan@...>

Hello Allison,
There has been several such requests over the last couple of years; perhaps one of the techies monitoring this list might pick it up.
Cheers Kevin.

[...]

Ann Byrne

Jaws doesn't have a lot of help with Access, but there are Microsoft hot keys. Someone suggested using SQL with the Access databases. would that work? You can read the Access stuff, it's the development that's the problem.

At 11:28 AM 3/13/2015, you wrote:
[...]

Richard B. McDonald

Hi Allison!

One thing I am aware of is that Microsoft Access 2003 was pretty accessible,
and older versions of JAWS (at least) had scripts for that version.
Apparently, JAWS has not kept up with subsequent versions of Access. What a
shame : ( This would be a very beneficial scripting project.

HTH,
Richard

Is there anyone on this list who successfully uses JAWS and Microsoft Access
database software in their jobs? I just landed a job with an employer that
will use Microsoft Access a lot. I told them it would be accessible with
JAWS because I have never had a problem with any other Microsoft products I
have used so I just assumed JAWS was designed to work with all Microsoft
products. I have since heard that Microsoft Access isn't fully accessible
with JAWS.What elements of Microsoft Access have you found to be accessible
and which elements were not? Were there any things that weren't accessible
at first, but were made more accessible by making some kind of modification?
Really nervous about this job so I would really appreciate insight if anyone
has experience with this software. Thanks.
Allison Nastoff

Sent from my iPhone

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

One tip. Reading field names as you tab over them doesn't work in Advanced verbosity; back it off just a notch and it'll work fine.

At 11:28 AM 3/13/2015, you wrote:
[...]

Thanks everyone for your support with this issue. That is a shame JAWS hasn't kept up with Microsoft Access since it sounds like a lot of employers use it. I don't know what kind of computer system my employer will have, but I will ask them about using SQL. I have downloaded a tutorial on Microsoft Access 2013, and plan to play with this software and make mock data sheets to get a feel for how accessible it is.
Has anyone used Microsoft's Narrator app that I believe was added to Windows 8? The company's own accessibility features ought to work on all their programs, and if I will be primarily using Microsoft Access, maybe I wouldn't even need to install JAWS at work if they are using Windows 8.
Allison Nastoff

Sent from my iPhone

At 11:28 AM 3/13/2015, you wrote:
[...]

Not unless it runs rings around Narrator as we know it. It'll talk, but it doesn't offer much control.

Ted

At 11:28 AM 3/13/2015, you wrote:
[...]

Cristóbal

Any chance NVDA would offer a more accessible experience?

At 11:28 AM 3/13/2015, you wrote:
[...]

Mr. Eyeball (AccessTelevision.tv Gmail)

I think using accessible Microsoft tables is better for screen readers!

Name:
Mr. Jonas Voll
Email:

Web site:
www.AccessTelevision.tv
YouTube:
FaceBook:
Twitter:

Is there anyone on this list who successfully uses JAWS and Microsoft Access
database software in their jobs? I just landed a job with an employer that
will use Microsoft Access a lot. I told them it would be accessible with
JAWS because I have never had a problem with any other Microsoft products I
have used so I just assumed JAWS was designed to work with all Microsoft
products. I have since heard that Microsoft Access isn't fully accessible
with JAWS.What elements of Microsoft Access have you found to be accessible
and which elements were not? Were there any things that weren't accessible
at first, but were made more accessible by making some kind of modification?
Really nervous about this job so I would really appreciate insight if anyone
has experience with this software. Thanks.
Allison Nastoff

Sent from my iPhone

Chris Jenkins

Hello.

You will probably be all right if all you are doing is entering information
into Microsoft Access, assuming that they have an accessible front end. You
may run into trouble if you are planning on writing access databases.

I hope this helps.