From: Jfw [mailto:jfw-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Robert Logue via Jfw
Sent: Monday, March 02, 2015 7:49 AM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Subject: jaws documentation

I often find it hard to get help on things in Jaws. I usually search by
keywords but don't get anything.

I happened to be looking for help on restarting Jaws when it gets
stuck. Couldn't find a thing.

In the mean time. I think I found out of date info.

Script Utility Mode (INSERT+WINDOWS Key+NUN PAD MINUS) found in help

OK. I found something I was looking for under what's new in help/Jaws:
Improved JAWS Recovery
If a problem with an application causes JAWS to become unresponsive and
the JAWS process has not resumed after approximately 15 seconds, JAWS
will automatically restart after approximately 30 seconds.
Last updated on November 21, 2014
But where is the keystroke to manually restart when unresponsive?

Adrian Spratt

Ted has answered the restart question. As for getting answers, a Google search typically gets JAWS-related information much faster and more easily than FS's documentation.

I often find it hard to get help on things in Jaws. I usually search by keywords but don't get anything.

I happened to be looking for help on restarting Jaws when it gets stuck. Couldn't find a thing.

In the mean time. I think I found out of date info.

Script Utility Mode (INSERT+WINDOWS Key+NUN PAD MINUS) found in help

OK. I found something I was looking for under what's new in help/Jaws:
Improved JAWS Recovery
If a problem with an application causes JAWS to become unresponsive and the JAWS process has not resumed after approximately 15 seconds, JAWS will automatically restart after approximately 30 seconds.
Last updated on November 21, 2014
But where is the keystroke to manually restart when unresponsive?

Michael Mote

There is a key to use to restart JAWS. It is JAWS key plus Windows key,
plus F4. I've used this several times, particularly in JAWS 15, and it
works.

[...]

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

No fooling; I thought that would kill JAWS and take it out of memory. Thanks.

[...]

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Lisle. That's exactly what you want when you restart JAWS. You want it unloaded and taken out of memory so that when it restarts, it doesn't have excess JAWS files or processes in memory. Some of these can be traced to memory leaks which can take up large amounts of memory.
Bill White billwhite92701@...

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 11269 (20150304) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 11269 (20150304) __________

http://www.eset.com

Adrian Spratt

You're both right. With JAWS 16, and some said also with JAWS 15, this keystroke not only kills JAWS, but brings it back after a few seconds. However, I thought several listers have reported it hasn't been returning JAWS. It does work for me.

[...]

Cy Selfridge

Well, I sorta wish I had ot tried that key combination. (LOLLOLLOL)
After I figured out how to get my hands to reach all of the required keys my
poor computer gave a rather soleful "ding" and JAWS went deader than a
hammer. (LOLLOLLOL)
Did it restare, of course not and I could not get it to start back up with
the hot keys.
It was shutdown time in the Rockies. (LOLLOLOL)
W7 64 bit, Office 2007 and JAWS 14.
Cy

[...]

Londa Peterson

Before JAWS 15, that's what it did. Now it also restarts JAWS.

[...]

If you couldn't get it to restart with the hot keys, the hot keys aren't working properly.
Bill White billwhite92701@...

[...]

Michal Nowicki <mnowicki4@...>

The keystroke works for me most of the time, though not always. When it
does not, the only way to get JAWS up and running is to restart the
computer.

[...]

Cristóbal

This happens to me from time to time too. JFW still shows up in the task
bar. Not even my sighted wife can quit the process.

[...]

Hi, Cristóbal. Are you saying that even if you go to the task manager where you can kill a process, JAWS cannot be killed? What kind of error do you get when you try to kill the hanging process?
Bill White billwhite92701@...

[...]

Dave...

Mike,

Very cool. I've completely forgotten about this one. Maybe I can use it to
restart JAWS after one of its annoying crashes?

Dave Carlson
Oregonian, Musician, Woodworker, and Pioneer

[...]

Michal,

Actually if you have NVDA loaded, you can get JAWS going again without
restarting the computer. Use NVDA to open the Windows Task Manager
(Ctrl+Shift+Esc) and Ctrl+Tab to the processes page.
Type the letter "J" and it should show you that jfw.exe is still active. Hit
the delete key, and accept the warning to delete. Then hit Esc to close the
Task Manager, and close NVDA. Then use your JAWS hotkey to restart JAWS.

Gee, wasn't that simple? But likely faster than restarting your computer,
and you won't lose any of the work you currently have open.

[...]

Robert Logue

I hought so. However, it doesn't seem to be well documented.

Bob