JAWS, Skype, and other audio/video files

Jim Portillo

Hello,

I have a question regarding using Skype, a screen reader, and a third party
such as YouTube or an audio file.

I was working with someone via Skype on something, and he allowed me to hear
something he'd been working on which was actually a YouTube video. I could
hear both the YouTube video and his voice coming from his computer.

Am I able to do that, even if I have a screen reader such as JAWS? If so,
how would I go about doing it?

I tried testing it out with my friend by going to YouTube and playing a
video, but what he heard was barely audible, except for what I was saying,
which was fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Jim

Michal Nowicki <mnowicki4@...>

I've had the same issue for years, and would also appreciate any tips on
this matter.

I have a question regarding using Skype, a screen reader, and a third party
such as YouTube or an audio file.

I was working with someone via Skype on something, and he allowed me to hear
something he'd been working on which was actually a YouTube video. I could
hear both the YouTube video and his voice coming from his computer.

Am I able to do that, even if I have a screen reader such as JAWS? If so,
how would I go about doing it?

I tried testing it out with my friend by going to YouTube and playing a
video, but what he heard was barely audible, except for what I was saying,
which was fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Jim

Diana Brent <dlbrent@...>

You need to play with audio and volume output settings for individual
programs in your control panel. My skype works so that JAWS is coming
through my headphones and Skype and all other voices come through my
speakers. I like it because my JAWS doesn't distract from what I am doing on
Skype. I do on-line teaching using Skype and the students I work with have
JAWS and their Skype coming through their speakers so I can hear them and
what they are doing, but they don't hear my JAWS.

Diana

I've had the same issue for years, and would also appreciate any tips on
this matter.

I have a question regarding using Skype, a screen reader, and a third party
such as YouTube or an audio file.

I was working with someone via Skype on something, and he allowed me to hear
something he'd been working on which was actually a YouTube video. I could
hear both the YouTube video and his voice coming from his computer.

Am I able to do that, even if I have a screen reader such as JAWS? If so,
how would I go about doing it?

I tried testing it out with my friend by going to YouTube and playing a
video, but what he heard was barely audible, except for what I was saying,
which was fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Jim

Michael Mote

The only way that I have been able to accomplish this is with the use of a
mixer. It's been a while since I've had to do this, but I know that I had
to route the audio from my sound card back through my mixer. On the
surface, that may sound like a bad idea do to receiving feedback, but with
my mixer, I was able to pull it off. I believe I also muted the playback of
the audio back through the soundcard that I was using at the time. I think
it really would have to depend on the type of sound card you're using, and
if you have a mixer, or could use one.

I've had the same issue for years, and would also appreciate any tips on
this matter.

I have a question regarding using Skype, a screen reader, and a third party
such as YouTube or an audio file.

I was working with someone via Skype on something, and he allowed me to hear
something he'd been working on which was actually a YouTube video. I could
hear both the YouTube video and his voice coming from his computer.

Am I able to do that, even if I have a screen reader such as JAWS? If so,
how would I go about doing it?

I tried testing it out with my friend by going to YouTube and playing a
video, but what he heard was barely audible, except for what I was saying,
which was fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Jim