Topics

Jaws won't start automatically in windows 8.1

ann

I am running Jfw15 with Windows 8.1. Jaws runs fine at the log on and lock screens, but will not start automatically for either of my accounts, not my admin or my standard account.

I know about the Automatically start Jaws settings in the Basics dialog, and have checked them countless times. They are set correctly.

It's not a problem to run it manually, but it is more of a very very annoying inconvenience. I also notice that neither the latest versions of NVDA nor Window-Eyes has this problem, and both auto start just fine.

So Does anyone have any suggestions? Could the Windows 8.1 UAC be interfering somehow?

Thanks.
~~Ann

Hozefa Tambawala

I am using Win 8.1 and JAWS 15 and 16 comes up automatically without
any issues. There is no settings which needs to be done other than
"Automatically Start JAWS" in "Basic Settings".

On 1/29/15, ann via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:
I am running Jfw15 with Windows 8.1. Jaws runs fine at the log on and
lock screens, but will not start automatically for either of my
accounts, not my admin or my standard account.

I know about the Automatically start Jaws settings in the Basics dialog,
and have checked them countless times. They are set correctly.

It's not a problem to run it manually, but it is more of a very very
annoying inconvenience. I also notice that neither the latest versions
of NVDA nor Window-Eyes has this problem, and both auto start just fine.

So Does anyone have any suggestions? Could the Windows 8.1 UAC be
interfering somehow?

Thanks.
~~Ann

"Life is like a piano.
White keys are happy moments
& Black keys are sad moments.

Follow me on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/starhoze

Skype ID:
star.hoze

Warm Regards,

Hozefa...

Feliciano G

Sounds like a setting is set incorrectly.

On Jan 28, 2015, at 8:06 PM, Hozefa Tambawala via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:

[...]

I'm very glad it works for you, but that doesn't really help. Thanks, anyway, but it looks like this is just something I'll have to get used to giving up now that I'm using Windows 8.1. I haven't had this issue on any other version of Windows other than 8 and up.

~Ann

On 1/28/2015 11:06 PM, Hozefa Tambawala wrote:
[...]

Go to the start up wizard on the jaws user interface inside help Follow that wizard and be sure to have it start up at login and when the computer starts.

Like my Facebook page: https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=690649294341327 Follow me on Twitter: Www.twitter.com/theblindman12v Sent from the Super-iPhone

On Jan 28, 2015, at 11:48 PM, ann via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:

[...]

Tom Lange

Hi Ann,
You may already know this, but I'll mention this for the benefit of others on the list. In older versions of Windows, it was sufficient to check the item for "start JAWS at the logon screen" and so on. In later versions, including Windows 7, Windows 8 and 8.1, you can also elect to start JAWS automatically after login for all users, so that would cover all profiles that you use. I can't give you the rundown of what the dialog looks like because I'm in front of my XP box at the moment. So, go back into basic settings, go into the dialog pertaining to automatic startup, and check the items that apply to you and I'm sure you'll be able to resolve this. In addition to my own personal Windows 7 laptop, I run a computer lab with twenty-odd machines with both JAWS 15 and 16, and they all come up talking at the login and come up talking after login, too. Hope this helps. If not, write me privately off-list and we'll see what we can do go get things straightened out.

Best regards,
Tom

I am running Jfw15 with Windows 8.1. Jaws runs fine at the log on and lock screens, but will not start automatically for either of my accounts, not my admin or my standard account.

I know about the Automatically start Jaws settings in the Basics dialog, and have checked them countless times. They are set correctly.

It's not a problem to run it manually, but it is more of a very very annoying inconvenience. I also notice that neither the latest versions of NVDA nor Window-Eyes has this problem, and both auto start just fine.

So Does anyone have any suggestions? Could the Windows 8.1 UAC be interfering somehow?

Thanks.
~~Ann

Michael Mote

I'm wondering if there is something with the group policy set-up on your
computer that is blocking JAWS from starting up properly. You may want to
contact Microsoft Accessibility and explaint o them your situation. I've
seen this before on network computers, but never on a home computer.

[...]

Bissett, Tom <tom.bissett@...>

I have a dell with windows 8.1, I find it interesting that when I start my computer from a shutdown the jaws does not speak at the logon screen but if I do a signout it speaks at the logon and when I do a restart it will speak at the logon screen. I have not figured out why it has this behavior. Not a show stopper but a annoyance.
Tom Bisset

[...]

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

What does FS say?

[...]

Londa Peterson

Hi Ann,

I had a client who had this very problem. His was Windows 7, but I'm not
sure that actually makes a difference. He called FS tech support, and they
were able to tandem into his computer and fix it for him. As I never quite
understood his explanation of the problem, so I'd just recommend that you
call tech support and let them fix this for you. He also had all the
start-up settings set correctly.

[...]

Mr. Eyeball (AccessTelevision.tv Gmail)

My Dell laptop is slow to load Jaws on startup to the login screen

Name:
Mr. Jonas Voll
Email:

Web site: