Jaws with facebook?

Kurt Streuber <tele1974@...>

Hello all, new member here, hoping to pick your brains on using jaws
with facebook. Up until recently I had no issues navigating facebook,
but as of late, I'm unable to navigate through anything on any page of
FB. I can tab and hear certain links, but the arrow keys don't read
any text, and hitting E for edit fields, H for headings nor any other
commands seem to work. Nor does using jaws cursor. I'mm using jaws
12 with windows 7. Just wondering if anyone has any insight as to
what could be going on?
Thanks very much,
Kurt

Feliciano G

I don't have any problems getting through the official or mobile facebook site with IE 10 or 11 with jaws.

Regards, Feliciano

Sent from the Super-iPhone

On Jan 9, 2015, at 6:12 AM, Kurt Streuber via Jfw <jfw@...> wrote:

Hello all, new member here, hoping to pick your brains on using jaws
with facebook. Up until recently I had no issues navigating facebook,
but as of late, I'm unable to navigate through anything on any page of
FB. I can tab and hear certain links, but the arrow keys don't read
any text, and hitting E for edit fields, H for headings nor any other
commands seem to work. Nor does using jaws cursor. I'mm using jaws
12 with windows 7. Just wondering if anyone has any insight as to
what could be going on?
Thanks very much,
Kurt

Feliciano G

What browser and version are you using?

Like my Facebook page: https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=690649294341327 Follow me on Twitter: Www.twitter.com/theblindman12v Sent from the Super-iPhone

On Jan 9, 2015, at 6:12 AM, Kurt Streuber via Jfw <jfw@...> wrote:

Hello all, new member here, hoping to pick your brains on using jaws
with facebook. Up until recently I had no issues navigating facebook,
but as of late, I'm unable to navigate through anything on any page of
FB. I can tab and hear certain links, but the arrow keys don't read
any text, and hitting E for edit fields, H for headings nor any other
commands seem to work. Nor does using jaws cursor. I'mm using jaws
12 with windows 7. Just wondering if anyone has any insight as to
what could be going on?
Thanks very much,
Kurt

Ann Byrne

FS did a webinar on FaceBook. It's on their web site.

<jfw@...> wrote:

Hello all, new member here, hoping to pick your brains on using jaws
with facebook. Up until recently I had no issues navigating facebook,
but as of late, I'm unable to navigate through anything on any page of
FB. I can tab and hear certain links, but the arrow keys don't read
any text, and hitting E for edit fields, H for headings nor any other
commands seem to work. Nor does using jaws cursor. I'mm using jaws
12 with windows 7. Just wondering if anyone has any insight as to
what could be going on?
Thanks very much,
Kurt

Paul Martz <skewmatrix@...>

I'm using JAWS 15 on Win7 with IE 11 and I have always found Facebook to be
difficult to use. In particular, tabbing into text edit fields frequently
fails to enable autoforms mode, and focus is left on another control, which
means that if I hit enter (which I would normally do in a text box to enable
autoforms mode), another control gets activated. Often, the control that
gets activated incorrectly is the button to upload a file, which means that
Internet Explorer puts me in a file open dialog. This incorrect behavior is
really quite frustrating.

I've looked at the FS documentation designed specifically for FB usage, but
I haven't found it to be helpful at all. I've also seen an article about
WAI-ARIA controls in FB, and this article was also not helpful.

I'm currently using FB primarily from an iOS device with VoiceOver. This
works really well, although the capabilities are of course rather limited
compared to the full FB site.

I'll be upgrading to JAWS 16 in a few days, and I'll post back here if I
experience a noticeable improvement.
-Paul

Tom Macha <toml614@...>

I do not use facebook aufton for the same reasons listed.

Marianne Denning

I use m.facebook.com rather than the regular facebook page and do most
of the things I want. I am sure there is a lot I don't do though.

On 1/9/15, Tom Macha via Jfw <jfw@...> wrote:
I do not use facebook aufton for the same reasons listed.

Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053

Marianne Denning

This is just a guess, maybe they made a change in such a way that JAWS
12 can't read it anymore. That version of JAWS is several years old.
Does that happen?

On 1/9/15, Kurt Streuber via Jfw <jfw@...> wrote:
Hello all, new member here, hoping to pick your brains on using jaws
with facebook. Up until recently I had no issues navigating facebook,
but as of late, I'm unable to navigate through anything on any page of
FB. I can tab and hear certain links, but the arrow keys don't read
any text, and hitting E for edit fields, H for headings nor any other
commands seem to work. Nor does using jaws cursor. I'mm using jaws
12 with windows 7. Just wondering if anyone has any insight as to
what could be going on?
Thanks very much,
Kurt

Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053

Brad Martin

I have to be honest. I keep both Internet Explorer 11 and Firefox (whatever version is current this week) on my computer. Flash stuff works better in IE, and things with active content like Paul describes here are more effectively managed in Firefox. I've found that when activating little popup dialogs within web pages, Firefox is more likely to get the memo that something has been added without having to force the screen to redraw. It is for this reason that I have switched to Firefox as my primary browser. But there are some sites, mostly that I use for work, which function better with IE.

What the original post described, Facebook not reading when moving around etc., almost sounds like what happens to me in Google Chrome. But I do have one thought. Are you hearing JAWS say "Application Mode On"? In Internet Explorer, and especially on older computers with older JAWS versions, that "application mode" will make me crazy. That type of stuff works better in Firefox for the most part.

For the record, I'm not having any trouble doing what I do on Facebook using Firefox. As has been discussed on this list previously, tagging people is much easier in Firefox than Internet Explorer 11, although I think I could do it when I had IE 10.

Hope this is helpful,
Brad

On 1/9/2015 2:16 PM, Paul Martz via Jfw wrote:
[...]

brad@... <mailto:brad@...>

Bob Boyd

Brad,

Your experience with different browsers is very helpful and has persuaded me
to download Firefox. I have found that with FB it is difficult at times to
know what has the current focus with IE11 as well. Thanks for the
information. Any problems with having both Firefox and IE both on your
system at the same time, such as changing defaults as part of updates?
Thanks.

Bob

[...]

brad@... <mailto:brad@...> My Facebook page where
I post online shopping coupons and deals: