Still having problems with scanned image PDF files

Tom Behler

Hi, all.

A few weeks ago, I raised the issue of how best to use the OCR capability in
the most recent versions of Jaws to read scanned image PDF files.

Tom, using your current version of JAWS, your best bet is to perform an OCR
of your screen, when you have an unreadable PDF in focus. To do this, you
will need to press JAWS Key plus the space bar to activate the layer menu.

JAWS should make an audible sound indicating that you've done this
successfully. Then press the letter O. JAWS should announce OCR. Then
press S for screen. You can also press W for window, if the screen option
does not give you what you want."

I received another scanned image file today, and tried both sets of
instructions, but had no luck in reading the text in the file. Jaws did
come up, but it spoke in the Jaws cursor voice, rather than the PC cursor
voice, and didn't appear to be reading anything meaningful from the document
in focus.

Am I missing something here?

I'd be happy to e-mail the file to anyone who might want to take a look at
it.

P.S. I'm using Jaws 14 on a windows 7 machine here. Perhaps this would be
a good reason to upgrade to Jaws 16.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

taylorarndt99@...

May seem expensive, but have you considered Kurzweil? It is a very good program, and I use it a lot or have you considered open book? Two very good programs they might be expensive, but consider them because it will last a long time.

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 14, 2014, at 8:19 PM, Tom Behler via Jfw <jfw@...> wrote:

[...]

Adrian Spratt

Or better still, Nuance's OmniPage, which cost $80 the last time I bought it. As a commercial product, it doesn't have a limited market and so can spread out the cost among many more customers. It's accessible for all my online PDF needs.

That said, JAWS 16 has clearly made advances in handling image-only PDF files. I'm waiting for the first fixes release, but the feature is explained in a recent FSCast at
http://www.freedomscientific.com/About/FSCast/FullListing#Episode99

[...]

Adrian:

Based on what you have said, I might see how Jaws 16 handles these types of
files, and if it is still not adequate for my needs, then maybe I'll try
Omnipage as you suggest.

Thanks very much!

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

wrote:

[...]

scrubbed...

Harry Spencer <spencer-h@...>

I fight the problem of scanned pdf files in my work, too. Recently, I sent a
problem file to a sighted friend who has the fully functional paid-version
of Adobe Acrobat.

She had a menu option to scan the problem doc with an Adobe OCR menu option
and paste the result in an email to me. It wasn't perfect, but I could work
with it.

Do any of you have the paid version of Adobe Acrobat installed? Is it
accessible? I hate to pay extra just to get simple functionality, but maybe
this is an option.

Harry

wrote:

[...]

it is accessible, but sometimes the PDFs get all scrambled up with it, my teacher tried use it at school, but I recommend a higher program does corral or open book, even though it's more expensive, it has more functionality inventor versatility then they have Adobe Acrobat.

Sent from my iPhone

wrote:

[...]

Dave...

Tom,

One question: Once the JAWS cursor is announced after the OCR, are you using
the NumPad keys to move JAWS through the document? The usual tab and other
navigation keys do not apply after the Convenient OCR function -- only the
JAWS cursor and the ability to use the Enter key on any button or element
you might find during the document review.

Dave Carlson
Farfar, musician, and woodworker

wrote:

[...]

Jean Menzies <jemenzies@...>

I haven't loaded Jaws 16 yet, but I remember something about the OCR option having different options depending on the focus. E.g., in Jaws 16, if on a PDF, there is another choice other than S for screen or W for window. I forget what it is, but perhaps D for document or something like that. Perhaps someone with 16 installed could let us know. A Jaws podcast explained it, but it's been too long for me to remember exactly what the PDF OCR letter is.

Jean

wrote:

[...]

Correct. "D" for document is the new Convenient layer command for PDF files.
Must have one open at the time, or the keystroke is ignored.

wrote:

[...]

Russell Solowoniuk

A really nice feature of Jaws 16 is the ability to search for commands. If
you press Insert + space, followed by J, and then type the command you are
interested in, you will get some very helpful information. In this case,
press Insert, space, J, and in the edit field, type OCR, then press tab and
you will be given information and keystrokes for using the OCR feature of
Jaws 16... funny thing is that Insert, space, O, D is not listed?

Russell

wrote:

[...]

Isn't that search feature customized to give you results taylored to where you are and what you're doing? E.g., if you were focused on a PDF and used the Space-J, then I bet it would give you that choice.

JEAN

wrote:

[...]

Londa Peterson

Hi Tom,

If you're using JAWS 16, those instructions are not correct.

1. Open the document in Adobe reader
2. When you get the "alert empty document", press Insert + space, then o,
then d. You will get the document in a virtual viewer. If it's something
other than a pdf file, you will have to use the instructions you already
have, and it will read in the JAWS cursor as it is doing. Hope this helps.

[...]

Feliciano G

Those instructions are correct as you are using JAWS 14. If you have openBook you can send the image to the freedom import printer to read.

Like my Facebook page: https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=690649294341327 Follow me on Twitter: Www.twitter.com/theblindman12v Sent from the Super-iPhone

Regards, Feliciano

Sent from the Super-iPhone

On Nov 17, 2014, at 6:49 AM, Londa Peterson via Jfw <jfw@...> wrote:

[...]

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

There's a new key in 16. Do the JAWS-Space-O, then hit D for document. This will put you in a Results field, which will contain the scanned text. However, this is a temporary field, so, if you want to take your time or save your results, copy and paste them into the appropriate program. It may take a minute or two for the entire document to appear, but JAWS will give you progress reports. This is important if you want to export the scanned document, but JAWS will allow you to start reading almost immediately.

Ted

Ted

[...]

What's more, the engine used in 16 is a version of OmniPage. It's either on the disk, or available as a separate download along with 16.

Ted

[...]

Jason White

Dave Carlson via Jfw <jfw@...> wrote:
Correct. "D" for document is the new Convenient layer command for PDF files.
Must have one open at the time, or the keystroke is ignored.
I've used this three times in the past week or so (all journal articles that
had been scanned, uploaded to the publisher's database and never had OCR
applied - only the abstracts appear as text).

Recognition results were reasonably accurate in all cases - a small sample, of
course.

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

I used it on a real hard-case--an old Kenwood TS850 manual I downloaded some years ago. My first attempt at OCR was pretty bad. I haven't had much time to really get into the new copy, but preliminary indications are good. Besides, it's in Word now, which should enable me to fix remaining errors with relative ease.

Ted

Correct. "D" for document is the new Convenient layer command for PDF files.
Must have one open at the time, or the keystroke is ignored.
I've used this three times in the past week or so (all journal articles that had been scanned, uploaded to the publisher's database and never had OCR applied - only the abstracts appear as text).

Recognition results were reasonably accurate in all cases - a small sample, of course.

Dave...

Ted,

Yes, I was pretty impressed with the convenient OCR in PDF documents.

Dave Carlson
Oregonian, and a very cold one, at that

Correct. "D" for document is the new Convenient layer command for PDF
files.
Must have one open at the time, or the keystroke is ignored.
I've used this three times in the past week or so (all journal articles that
had been scanned, uploaded to the publisher's database and never had OCR
applied - only the abstracts appear as text).

Recognition results were reasonably accurate in all cases - a small sample,
of course.

Londa Peterson

I actually did a comparison between the JAWS OCR and the Freedom Import
Printer available in OpenBook. I used the same document for both, so there
are no variables. I got better results with the JAWS OCR feature. Any ideas
out their why this might be? Do I possibly need to change a setting in
OpenBook? Thanks.

Correct. "D" for document is the new Convenient layer command for PDF
files.
Must have one open at the time, or the keystroke is ignored.
I've used this three times in the past week or so (all journal articles that
had been scanned, uploaded to the publisher's database and never had OCR
applied - only the abstracts appear as text).

Recognition results were reasonably accurate in all cases - a small sample,
of
course.

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

I wouldn't be surprised if they share some of the same core technology, combined with the fact that all such products continue to evolve.

Ted