From: "Steve Matzura via Jfw" <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
To: "jfw" <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Sent: Sunday, October 26, 2014 12:01 PM
Subject: What is "JAWS for Home Use?"

Someone with whom I work installed JAWS version 15, and after he did
that, two things happened:

1. Tandem ceased to work when accepting a code for me to connect to
the computer with the new JAWS 15 on it.

2. When JAWS starts, it announced itself as "JAWS for home use."
What's this home use stuff out of nowhere?

Tim Ford

There is a home and a professional edition. You need the pro edition if your operating system is a pro level. The home version is cheaper.

Tim Ford

Someone with whom I work installed JAWS version 15, and after he did
that, two things happened:

1. Tandem ceased to work when accepting a code for me to connect to
the computer with the new JAWS 15 on it.

2. When JAWS starts, it announced itself as "JAWS for home use."
What's this home use stuff out of nowhere?

Not anymore with 16 and onwards - JAWS Standard is now JAWS Home and is
identical to Professional license; the only difference in the new scheme is
tech support and other minor things.
Cheers,
Joseph

There is a home and a professional edition. You need the pro edition if
your operating system is a pro level. The home version is cheaper.

Tim Ford

Someone with whom I work installed JAWS version 15, and after he did that,
two things happened:

1. Tandem ceased to work when accepting a code for me to connect to the
computer with the new JAWS 15 on it.

2. When JAWS starts, it announced itself as "JAWS for home use."
What's this home use stuff out of nowhere?

Pat Byrne

Gary,
My version 14. says "noncomercial use".
I downloaded it in late September after a WIN7 rebuild.
Pat ByrneAt 12:50 PM 10/26/2014, you wrote:

Steve,
JAWS for Home Use is supposed to start with JAWS 16. Standard licenses will become JAWS for Home Use licenses and will allow home users to use professional versions of Windows. I have a standard license for JAWS, and I am using JAWS 16 Beta. When it starts, it announces, "JAWS Home Use Edition Beta Release." I have no idea why you would be having this issue with JAWS 15. You may have to discuss it with FS.

Gary King
w4wkz@bellsouth.net
----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Matzura via Jfw" <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Someone with whom I work installed JAWS version 15, and after he did
that, two things happened:

1. Tandem ceased to work when accepting a code for me to connect to
the computer with the new JAWS 15 on it.

2. When JAWS starts, it announced itself as "JAWS for home use."
What's this home use stuff out of nowhere?

Melissa Stott <mstott69@...>

You won't with Jaws16. The standard will also work on Windows Pro. You will need Jaws Professional if you are working at a business from what I understand. Keep in mind though, Jaws 16 will not support Windows XP any longer.

There is a home and a professional edition. You need the pro edition if
your operating system is a pro level. The home version is cheaper.

Tim Ford

Someone with whom I work installed JAWS version 15, and after he did
that, two things happened:

1. Tandem ceased to work when accepting a code for me to connect to
the computer with the new JAWS 15 on it.

2. When JAWS starts, it announced itself as "JAWS for home use."
What's this home use stuff out of nowhere?

Steve Matzura

Hi, Gary:

On Sun, 26 Oct 2014 12:50:32 -0500, you wrote:

JAWS for Home Use is supposed to start with JAWS 16. Standard licenses will
become JAWS for Home Use licenses and will allow home users to use
professional versions of Windows. I have a standard license for JAWS, and I
am using JAWS 16 Beta. When it starts, it announces, "JAWS Home Use Edition
Beta Release." I have no idea why you would be having this issue with JAWS
15. You may have to discuss it with FS.
Nope, I have to discuss it with my worthy but not so savvy client, who
obviously downloaded and installed the wrong thing. He was going to
15, but I suspect he downloaded 16 instead.

Pat Byrne

Steve,
I downloaded JFW 15 - 64 bit and get the same message. So, apparently your customer knows whereof he/she speaks.
And my download was this afternoon, October 26th
Pat ByrneAt 09:22 PM 10/26/2014, you wrote:

Hi, Gary:

On Sun, 26 Oct 2014 12:50:32 -0500, you wrote:

JAWS for Home Use is supposed to start with JAWS 16. Standard
licenses will
become JAWS for Home Use licenses and will allow home users to use
professional versions of Windows. I have a standard license for
JAWS, and I
am using JAWS 16 Beta. When it starts, it announces, "JAWS Home
Use Edition
Beta Release." I have no idea why you would be having this issue with JAWS
15. You may have to discuss it with FS.
Nope, I have to discuss it with my worthy but not so savvy client, who
obviously downloaded and installed the wrong thing. He was going to
15, but I suspect he downloaded 16 instead.

Kelly Pierce

Do folks with the message have JAWS Home edition or JAWS Professional?
FS changed the licensing for JAWS. From what I understand of the new
arrangement, people with JAWS Home Edition can now use the program on
many different flavors of Windows. It used to be this license could
only be used on the lowest windows license tiers, typically called
home. Now, the home users will have certain functions of JAWS
disabled and licensing provisions are more restrictive. JAWS
Professional will continue to offer all features of JAWS, work on all
versions of Windows, and offer the least restrictive licensing
arrangement.

Kelly

On 10/26/14, Pat Byrne via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:
[...]

Kimsan <kimsansong@...>

Smack me hard and call me stupid but I'm confused after reading through all
of these messages but why pay for one over the other besides the obvious?
Jaws home edition is how much, 100 plus? If you pay whatever the cost is
will you be covered for two upgrades like when you pay the 200 or whatever
it is?
I'm covered up until 17, but if the below makes sense to me then it will
save me a few bucks.

"Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure,
loyalty and persistence." Colin Powell

10/26/2014, you wrote:
Hi, Gary:

On Sun, 26 Oct 2014 12:50:32 -0500, you wrote:

JAWS for Home Use is supposed to start with JAWS 16. Standard
licenses will
become JAWS for Home Use licenses and will allow home users to use
professional versions of Windows. I have a standard license for
JAWS, and I
am using JAWS 16 Beta. When it starts, it announces, "JAWS Home
Use Edition
Beta Release." I have no idea why you would be having this issue
with JAWS 15. You may have to discuss it with FS.
Nope, I have to discuss it with my worthy but not so savvy client, who
obviously downloaded and installed the wrong thing. He was going to
15, but I suspect he downloaded 16 instead.

Tom Macha <toml614@...>

People with home addition will hear, "Jaws home addition." when Jaws starts. This is cheaper for SMA and purchase price according to FS.

[...]

Londa Peterson

As I read this thread, I noticed that someone said that there was less
functionality in JAWS home use edition. My understanding is that this is not
correct. Both versions have the same functionality. One is for commercial
use and one is not. That's the only difference according to what I've heard
on several programs and podcasts I have listened to. You can even now buy
remote desktop for home use edition. I'd be curious as to where the person
heard that there was less functionality in home use edition because I
haven't heard that anywhere.

[...]

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

That was the old arrangement, where the home edition was limited to nonpro versions of windows.