Jaws and netbook computers

Tom Macha <toml614@...>

Tom Nachahello my computer running Windows 8 is currently going in the shop may not come back to two charging port issue I was wondering if a netbook would be sufficient I am a college student and running open book 9.0 as well is a netbook sufficient for college withdraws open book and doing research projects any help would be appreciated thanks

Brad Martin

I've never used a Netbook with Open Book. I have used one with JAWS, although it was an older XP Netbook. It worked fine, but it was slow. The biggest drawback to most netbooks is that they are low on memory, and they're upgradeable but it's not always easy.

I would see a Netbook as more of a stopgap measure than a long-term solution. I sort of abandoned mine when it wouldn't run the tax website I needed to do my work.

Brad Martin
brad@formyfriends.org
www.facebook.com/ucoupons

On 10/10/2014 8:40 AM, Tom Macha via Jfw wrote:

Tom Nachahello my computer running Windows 8 is currently going in the shop may not come back to two charging port issue I was wondering if a netbook would be sufficient I am a college student and running open book 9.0 as well is a netbook sufficient for college withdraws open book and doing research projects any help would be appreciated thanks
Brad Martin

Diana Brent <dlbrent@...>

Hello, Tom:

I have a netbook and when I was using it, it had JAWS, OpenBook, Duxbury,
... and they all worked very very slowly. So, if your criteria is cheapness
and portability, I would say yes. If you want to add efficiency, I would buy
a tablet with a keyboard and a USB hub.

Diana

Tom Nachahello my computer running Windows 8 is currently going in the shop
may not come back to two charging port issue I was wondering if a netbook
would be sufficient I am a college student and running open book 9.0 as well
is a netbook sufficient for college withdraws open book and doing research
projects any help would be appreciated thanks

Londa Peterson

If you have an external hard drive, I think I'd go for a tablet with a
keyboard instead. It'll do everything you want, and they're actually more
powerful than netbooks. The only disadvantage may be storage. You can use an
external hard drive with a tablet though.

Tom Nachahello my computer running Windows 8 is currently going in the shop
may not come back to two charging port issue I was wondering if a netbook
would be sufficient I am a college student and running open book 9.0 as well
is a netbook sufficient for college withdraws open book and doing research
projects any help would be appreciated thanks

Jimmy Jones

Open Book will run on a net book. I've been using one for quite a while a
long with JAWS. It can be slow at times. Mine has been faithful for sure,
but with the cost of laptops these days I don't know if I'd would buy
another one.

[...]

brad@formyfriends.org <mailto:brad@formyfriends.org> My Facebook page where
I post online shopping coupons and deals:

Cy Selfridge

Hi Jimmy,
There is sure a lot of confusion around laptop, notebook and netbook.
What is a netbook?
I presume if it runs OpenBook it must also run JAWS?
Cy

[...]

Thanks for the help everyone. My computer power port was busted and have decided to fix it at a reasonable price.

Tom Nacha