Using JAWS 15 with Microsoft Access 2010

David Goldfield <dgoldfie@...>

I realize that the issue with Microsoft access and screen readers is a complex topic. Here's the situation I am involved with.
I have a user who used JAWS 14 with a customized database using Access 2010 and things seemed to read well with no problem. The database opened with a main menu and each item read properly when the tab key was pressed, for items such as "1 enter data" "2, perform search", etc.
The user recently was migrated to JAWS 15 and pressing the tab key just says the number of the item, followed by the word "button" without reading the prompt or label associated with that button. The prompt creator will not work in this database. Using screen refresh and maximizing the window did not help. The user's theme was set to Dell: I changed it to windows Classic and windows 7 Basic but nothing worked. What is now a bit odd is that loading JAWS 14 produces the same results, where the tab key just says "button" without reading the prompt. We can use the JAWS cursor to read the prompts but I'm curious to know if anyone could suggest other things I could try. Pressing insert-Q verifies that Access 2010 scripts are loaded.
Thank you in advance for anything you can suggest.

David Goldfield
Computer Technology Instructor
919 Walnut Street
4th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19107

215-627-0600 ext 3277
FAX: 215-922-0692

dgoldfie@...<mailto:dgoldfie@...>
www.asb.org<http://www.asb.org>

Serving Philadelphia's and the nation's blind and visually impaired population since 1874.

www.asb.org<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Associated-Services-for-the-Blind/234389409941928> www.asb.org<http://twitter.com/ASBPhiladelphia>

Ann Byrne

when JAWS wouldn't read Access for me, I used Thunder. the voice is terrible, but it read the prompts.

At 01:03 PM 9/12/2014, you wrote:
[...]

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Oh Lord, sounds like 11-12 revisited. I have used Access with 15 with no problems though. As I recall, I coarsened the verbosity to get it to read field names several years ago, but that's all.

Ted

At 01:03 PM 9/12/2014, you wrote:
[...]

scrubbed...

Ann Byrne

It sounds like something in Access itself changed. Could screen density have changed? Is the screen maximized? sometimes the computer randomly displays things differently and poor JAWS doesn't know what to do.

At 01:03 PM 9/12/2014, you wrote:
[...]

Anna,
Thanks so much for your suggestions.
The window is maximized and the user's screen resolution is identical to mine and I have no issues with the database, even with a fresh set of Access scripts from the 2010 beta.
My next step is to compare some of the settings in my version of Access to the ones on the user's machine, so your thought about settings is one I'm currently pursuing. Thank you again, though.

At 01:03 PM 9/12/2014, you wrote:
[...]

Cy Selfridge

Hi Ted,
Nice thing about JAWS is that old problems will crop up in a later release
but at least we have seen them before and have figured out a work around.
(LOLLOLLOL)
Cy