About Buying a new laptop which works well with Jaws

Kadia Hajaj

Hello,
My name is Kadia, an israeli blind woman, strongly opposed to the israeli murderous regime .
My question is regarding buying a new laptop.
How do you decide which model to buy?
Do you get any specific recommendations from your Jaws dealers?
if so, what models, system requirements are you guided to buy?
If you wish to contact me directly, you can email to
terrella1000@...

Thanks for your advice,
Regards,
Kadia

Adrian Spratt

Kadia,

Freedom Scientific won't state which hardware works best with JAWS. Based on comments I've read on this list, I'd steer clear of Hewlett-Packard laptops because they don't seem to.

You'll want to pack in as much RAM as the laptop can support.

Can I suggest that you're more likely to get a wide range of extremely useful advice if you steer clear of politics? People on this list don't seem to take kindly to non-tech opinions. We're here to help and be helped, not to argue.

My name is Kadia, an israeli blind woman, strongly opposed to the israeli murderous regime .
My question is regarding buying a new laptop.
How do you decide which model to buy?
Do you get any specific recommendations from your Jaws dealers?
if so, what models, system requirements are you guided to buy?
If you wish to contact me directly, you can email to
terrella1000@...

Thanks for your advice,
Regards,
Kadia

Charles Coe

Hi,

I would suggest you take a look at Del laptops. Go to the following web
site:

www.del.com

As far as types or models; I suggest you consider how and what you will use
the laptops for. Also how much you wish to spend. The above Del website
should give you an idea what is offered.

You can also go to the following website:

www.komando.com
If you wish to get more independent opinions on a variety of laptops
Charles

My name is Kadia, an israeli blind woman, strongly opposed to the israeli
murderous regime .
My question is regarding buying a new laptop.
How do you decide which model to buy?
Do you get any specific recommendations from your Jaws dealers?
if so, what models, system requirements are you guided to buy?
If you wish to contact me directly, you can email to terrella1000@...

Thanks for your advice,
Regards,
Kadia

Lisa-Maree

Hi,
I've got an Hp laptop, and windows 7, with jaws 15. It works fine. I have
stopped some of the automatic HP programs which ocme with it from starting,
but that's really all you have to do if you have any conflicts.

Acer is another one where their programs can cause conflicts with Jaws, but
when I upgraded a laptop for a friend, I found turning off some processes
from starting worked fine. Asus ones will work straight off.

My name is Kadia, an israeli blind woman, strongly opposed to the israeli
murderous regime .
My question is regarding buying a new laptop.
How do you decide which model to buy?
Do you get any specific recommendations from your Jaws dealers?
if so, what models, system requirements are you guided to buy?
If you wish to contact me directly, you can email to terrella1000@...

Thanks for your advice,
Regards,
Kadia

Melissa Stott <mstott69@...>

I have HP Desktop, and works like a charm. I'm using Windows 7.

My name is Kadia, an israeli blind woman, strongly opposed to the israeli
murderous regime .
My question is regarding buying a new laptop.
How do you decide which model to buy?
Do you get any specific recommendations from your Jaws dealers?
if so, what models, system requirements are you guided to buy?
If you wish to contact me directly, you can email to terrella1000@...

Thanks for your advice,
Regards,
Kadia

Stan Bobbitt

I've been using nothing but HP since 1999 and JAWS since 1998. My current laptop is HP as well. I've had to stop some of the automatic HP programs as someone else posted, but that's about it. Everything works fine.

Stan

I have HP Desktop, and works like a charm. I'm using Windows 7.

My name is Kadia, an israeli blind woman, strongly opposed to the israeli
murderous regime .
My question is regarding buying a new laptop.
How do you decide which model to buy?
Do you get any specific recommendations from your Jaws dealers?
if so, what models, system requirements are you guided to buy?
If you wish to contact me directly, you can email to terrella1000@...

Thanks for your advice,
Regards,
Kadia

Ed Marquette <marquette.ed@...>

I'm not sure the brand is as important as is the keyboard. I
think most brands today that don't mess up Windows and make it
somehow proprietary are likely to be fine, and I don't think there
is all that much customization of the operating system these days.
I've used Lenovo laptops since Lenovo took over from IBM. I used
IBM before that. I tried, and dumped, Toshiba. I'm glad to see
others have had success with HP. I didn't, but that was before
1996.
I've stuck with Lenovo both because that's my firm's standard and
because the machines work well with JAWS.
Watch out for the keyboard. My Lenovo Yoga, an ultrabook, not a
laptop, has the best keyboard I've ever used on a portable
computer, except for one thing. I cannot configure it to have an
applications key and two JAWS keys.
I have another Lenovo that doesn't have an Applications key (and
cannot be configured to have one), but it has two JAWS keys.
I use shift F-10 instead of the Applications key. It works, but
is nowhere as handy as is the applications key.
So, ideally, you should have an insert key, a capslock key, and an
applications key. If the laptop doesn't have, or cannot be
configured to have, these keys, I'd keep looking.

I have HP Desktop, and works like a charm. I'm using Windows 7.

My name is Kadia, an israeli blind woman, strongly opposed to the
israeli murderous regime .
My question is regarding buying a new laptop.
How do you decide which model to buy?
Do you get any specific recommendations from your Jaws dealers?
if so, what models, system requirements are you guided to buy?
If you wish to contact me directly, you can email to
terrella1000@...

Thanks for your advice,
Regards,
Kadia

Cy Selfridge

Hi,
I have 2 HP laptops running W7 64 bit and JAWS 14.
So far as I can ascertain JAWS works well with both - but - MAGIC had a real
problem with the newer HP. For whatever reason one component in the newer HP
took strict exception to Magic 12. FS was extremely helpful and they
discovered a bug in Magic 12 which they corrected.
I would still stick with HP. I am told that the newer Dell laptops also work
very well and are significantly better than the older ones.
Cy

My name is Kadia, an israeli blind woman, strongly opposed to the israeli
murderous regime .
My question is regarding buying a new laptop.
How do you decide which model to buy?
Do you get any specific recommendations from your Jaws dealers?
if so, what models, system requirements are you guided to buy?
If you wish to contact me directly, you can email to terrella1000@...

Thanks for your advice,
Regards,
Kadia

Maria Campbell <lucky1inct@...>

All of my laptops have been Toshibas, with which I've been very pleased. JAWS works fine with them.

Sunny Day
Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

Blaise Pascal

On 9/4/2014 4:18 AM, Ed Marquette via Jfw wrote:
[...]

Hmm, strange indeed. Wonder if anyone else had JAWS read "H P" as
horsepower? (ROFLROFL)
Cy

My name is Kadia, an israeli blind woman, strongly opposed to the israeli
murderous regime .
My question is regarding buying a new laptop.
How do you decide which model to buy?
Do you get any specific recommendations from your Jaws dealers?
if so, what models, system requirements are you guided to buy?
If you wish to contact me directly, you can email to terrella1000@...

Thanks for your advice,
Regards,
Kadia

Maria Campbell <lucky1inct@...>

Are you serious--horsepower?

Sunny Day
Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

Blaise Pascal

On 9/4/2014 10:43 AM, Cy Selfridge via Jfw wrote:
Hmm, strange indeed. Wonder if anyone else had JAWS read "H P" as
horsepower? (ROFLROFL)
Cy

My name is Kadia, an israeli blind woman, strongly opposed to the israeli
murderous regime .
My question is regarding buying a new laptop.
How do you decide which model to buy?
Do you get any specific recommendations from your Jaws dealers?
if so, what models, system requirements are you guided to buy?
If you wish to contact me directly, you can email to terrella1000@...

Thanks for your advice,
Regards,
Kadia

Dave Durber

Adrian:

HP Laptops do not seem to What!, You do not specify.

I have an HP Laptop. Apart from their, so-called, Enhanced audio, which HP include in their OEM version of the Windows operating systems and, having the function keys, performing media functions, instead of performing the regular function key functions by default, I have no problems with the machine at all.

In some manufacturer's OEM versions of Windows, the function key default behavior can be changed within Windows. On the otherhand, some manufacturers, such as HP, who, in their infinite wisdom, exclude the ability to do this within Windows. Therefore, the only way to change the behavior of the function keys, is through the BIOS.

So, if anyone is thinking of purchasing any brand-name computer system, no matter the manufacturer,, should check with the sales representative, as to the default setting of the function keys. If the behavior of the function keys can only be made through the BIOS, if it is at all possible, make it part of the sale, to have them change the setting of the function keys to the normal function key functions, before you part with your money and take the machine out of the store or have it shipped to you. If that is not possible, either take the computer system to a reputable computer store/shop (you might or might not have to pay a fee) or, ask a knowledgeable friend to make the change. Once the setting has been changed, you do not need to worry about it any more, unless the backup lithium battery runs down completely or, it drops below the minimum voltage where the battery cannot sustain the BIOS at all.

Oh, by the way, I got round the previously mentioned audio problem on my laptop, by replacing the HP OEM version of Windows 7 Professional, with the standard Microsoft version of the Windows operating system.

HTH

Sincerely:

Dave Durber