From: Jfw [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com] On Behalf Of Cliff Self via
Jfw
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 11:21 PM
To: The Jaws for Windows support mailing list
Subject: Jaws 12 with Win 7 or 8.1?

Will my Jaws 12 work with either of these? I have to retire my XP machine
and get a new one. It's going to be hard to afford a Jaws upgrade at the
same time. For those who have run both Win 7 and 8.1, which do you prefer?
Do you find one to work better with Jaws than the other?

thanks,

Cliff

Christopher Hallsworth <christopherh40@...>

I'm not a frequent JAWS user myself, however I do know JAWS 12 will not work under Windows 8.1. I like and use both of them. Windows 7 is on this laptop and Windows 8.1 is currently in a virtual machine on this laptop. I plan to do a dual boot setup so can have the best of both worlds. Windows 8.1 though is miles better than Windows 8.
Hallsworth
Student at the Hadley School for the Blind
www.hadley.edu

On 30/07/2014 07:21, Cliff Self via Jfw wrote:
Will my Jaws 12 work with either of these? I have to retire my XP machine and get a new one. It's going to be hard to afford a Jaws upgrade at the same time. For those who have run both Win 7 and 8.1, which do you prefer? Do you find one to work better with Jaws than the other?

thanks,

Cliff
.

Bob W <rwiley45@...>

I have recently gone through the same agonizing decision. An upgrade of
jaws would have cost as much as a new laptop.

I have upgraded to windows 7, trying to avoid touch screens as much as
possible.

Good luck.

Bob

Will my Jaws 12 work with either of these? I have to retire my XP machine
and get a new one. It's going to be hard to afford a Jaws upgrade at the
same time. For those who have run both Win 7 and 8.1, which do you prefer?
Do you find one to work better with Jaws than the other?

thanks,

Cliff

One out of 10 people understand binary: those who do, and those who don't.

ernest

Hello:
Yes:
Jaws 12 will work fine with windows 7. I use jaws 12 on a windows 7 professional 64-bit machine for sonar with cakewalking and it works just fine. As far as windows 8 goes? I'm not certain.
Hope that helped.

Ernest.

On Jul 30, 2014, at 2:21 AM, Cliff Self via Jfw wrote:

Will my Jaws 12 work with either of these? I have to retire my XP machine and get a new one. It's going to be hard to afford a Jaws upgrade at the same time. For those who have run both Win 7 and 8.1, which do you prefer? Do you find one to work better with Jaws than the other?

thanks,

Cliff

Christopher Hallsworth <christopherh40@...>

Please ignore the confusion surrounding a touch screen like interface in Windows 8 or 8.1. While there is a touch screen like interface, there is still the good old mouse and keyboard interface thanks to the desktop, the revision of the start button in 8.1, the taskbar and the notification area.

Christopher Hallsworth

On 30/07/2014 12:04, Bob W via Jfw wrote:
I have recently gone through the same agonizing decision. An upgrade of
jaws would have cost as much as a new laptop.

I have upgraded to windows 7, trying to avoid touch screens as much as
possible.

Good luck.

Bob

Will my Jaws 12 work with either of these? I have to retire my XP machine
and get a new one. It's going to be hard to afford a Jaws upgrade at the
same time. For those who have run both Win 7 and 8.1, which do you prefer?
Do you find one to work better with Jaws than the other?

thanks,

Cliff

One out of 10 people understand binary: those who do, and those who don't.

Stan Bobbitt

I use JAWS 15. I think they got it right with windows 7, for me, it works the best. I have windows 8 on another machine and it's ok, there just seems to be many things that don't work as well or quite the same for me there.

“The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.…”
Stan Bobbitt